Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   AR Build Questions (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar-build-questions-26996/)

Shihan 05-10-2010 01:07 AM

AR Build Questions

I am starting to look for the parts to start an AR build. I was curious as to what everyone thinks of this upper. I like the design and looks, but have no knowledge of AR parts manufacturers. Any help is welcome. Upper I am looking at.

This build is going to be a .50 Beowulf Pig Stopper.

Was thinking of getting this Barrel.

This is just the starting point. Let me know of other choices or better ones.

Dillinger 05-10-2010 01:43 AM

Shi - You are paying a lot for that upper, but it will definitely handle the pressure of the .50 Beowulf in the chamber.

I do not believe that you NEED to go to this extreme, but this upper is what I would classify as "Fire and Forget". You buy it once, you don't need to worry about it. If I was inclined to build a weapon of this magnitude, and I was willing to PAY for a custom barrel with a custom chamber, I would be looking for "Fire and Forget" parts. Take that for what you will. ;)

Now, the downside. You are providing a solution that there isn't a problem. You don't NEED a specialized upper when the people that pioneered the round, put out their own upper in the first place.

Might I suggest this prebuilt and tested upper??

The barrel is NOT a good choice, in my opinion, if you are building a PIG gun. One that you are looking at really delivering the goods to a hostile animal.

Please notice this caveat:
Quote:

Enlargment of the feedramps and ejection port to 0.637" will be required for proper function
You are not buying a "ready to go the field" barrel my friend. You are buying a "roughed in barrel" that will require specialized parts that, IMHO, will end up costing you MORE than if you just went to the Alexander Arms folks in the first place. :rolleyes:

Shi, when you are looking at building a wildcat platform, you need to decide if you are going 100% custom ( because the ammo is custom ) or if you are going to go piece meal and build what is available on the market.

If you are looking at a cost effective build, I would look a complete and tested upper, with a custom lower that you build yourself. Or I would look at having a custom gunsmith build you a complete gun and going that route.

"In between" is not going to give you what you are looking for in this build.

JD

Shihan 05-10-2010 01:59 AM

I was looking at that for $675 at Impact guns. I was just wanting to make it custom and put it all together.
I read about the Feed Ramp and Ejection port.

It may come to going the complete upper route, but I would go with this One.
I was thinking of the looks of the Stainless Barrel.

Just thought the more I put into building it the more I would enjoy it.