AR build: opinions on charging handles?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR build: opinions on charging handles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 5 Posts

Default AR build: opinions on charging handles?

I'm in the middle of my first build and I am currently looking for a charging handle. I noticed that the price range is drastic, even for AR parts. I was wondering if there was a big difference in quality (only because it seems like such a basic part compared to the barrel or bcg) and if anyone had sine good recommendations. I don't need anything fancy, just as long as it is reliable.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-09-2012, 11:12 PM   #2

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

Most everyone seems to really like the upgraded BCM/Vltor Gunfighter charging handles.
About 40 Bucks.
I'd go with the "medium" version.
The "large" can hang up on things sometimes, even though its ergonomically superior otherwise.

I am slowly replacing all charging handles on my guns with them (tried a large too, I leave it on my nightgun for better no light manipulation, all others will be medium)

Last edited by bluez; 12-10-2012 at 01:17 AM.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:17 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 216 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 64

BCM GunFighter Medium.. period!

Old 12-09-2012, 11:26 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2551 Times on 1247 Posts
Likes Given: 1285

A standard one with a Badger Tac. latch works fine and is inexpensive. The only time I ever touch the Charging Handle is to lock the Bolt Carrier Group back to clear the weapon or for administrative loading locking the Bolt Carrier to the rear and then use the Bolt Catch to let it go forward with full force travel and load the first round. Otherwise, one should not use the Charging Handle. That is what the Bolt Catch is for and it does not take fine motor skills when the SHTF. You use the heel of your weak hand palm to hit the Bolt Catch and let it go home stripping the top round! This works great for tactical applications and training. A word of advise! You will do how you train in a critical situation! Not how you think you will do it. And you will not have time to think things out! The Badger Tac Latch will make the handle available should you have a scope or a larger optic on your weapon.
Good Luck!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 12-09-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Quentin Likes This 
Old 12-10-2012, 12:33 AM   #5

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Awesome information! I have the medium on my build list for my 1st build. Good to hear this!

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-GUNFIGHTER-Charging-Handle-GFH-Mod-4-p/bcm%20gfh%20mod%204%20556.htm

monteros
~Build Planning Document
~Build Thread
~Build Photo Album

Old 12-10-2012, 12:51 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5657 Times on 2955 Posts
Likes Given: 374

bcm gunfighter small medium large no question. whichever size you prefer. i have one of each on different guns for different reasons. my ohsht gun which is a bcm lightweight middy has the medium handle

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-10-2012, 12:53 AM   #7

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 62

I'm working on my very first build and bought a BCM Gunfighter Medium as well as a BCM Bolt Carrier Group. I haven't got it all put together yet, but the charging handle and BCG are first-rate pieces. The fit and finish on them are exceptional. I couldn't be happier.

Three old hunters were walking through the woods one day. The first looks over at the others and says, "Windy isn't it?" The second says, "I was sure it was Thursday." The third says, "Me too! The heck with hunting, let's go get a beer!"

Old 12-10-2012, 01:06 AM   #8

Liked 1002 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

What Sniper said is very true, you can get by just fine with a standard CH or with a slight upgrade like the Badger Tac Latch. PSA often sells a quality CH for $15.

Even so, I also went with a couple of BCM GunFighters, Mod 4 and love them. My third AR has a standard CH.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:43 AM   #9

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I had a crap Dpms that got chipped on one of the first couple times I used it. Started binding up. Tossed that and picked up a Rainer arms ambi-charging handle. I think they call it the Raptor. It's smooth as hell. And the way they've designed it makes it so whether you use one side or the other it always comes straight back. That was something that bothered me about the badger latches. Buddy had one on his that would bind up if you pulled with too much horizontal pressure.

If you've got one foot in yesterday, and the other in tomorrow, than you're pissing on today.
-unknown-

Old 12-10-2012, 01:47 AM   #10

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 19

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3172

They're pricey-er now but I picked mine up on sale. Knowing what I do now though I'm gonna grab one more for my future SBR build. It's still worth it to me.

If you've got one foot in yesterday, and the other in tomorrow, than you're pissing on today.
-unknown-