AR build - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

In my limited experience, my DTI is a well made rifle. I shot 200 rounds last night, again with zero problems. That makes a flawless total of 1200+ rounds, in just under 2 months. I admit, 800 of these rounds were at my nice indoor shoot club. I am not rolling in the dirt or working my way from the surf. I do shoot a lot. If I manage to break something, I will share with the forum.

I shot 300 rounds (AR) and 100 rounds (pistol) a few weeks ago with some old friends that still use tactical in their job description. My DTI rifle did not have any problems. But, I felt like I just finished the tough mudder.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #12

Liked 1062 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

If you have a DTI that works, great. But someone buying new and on a tight budget should look at PSA, Spikes and even Sionics.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Just giving my $.02. Obviously I cannot guaranty the same results with another build. Most of my friends are using LE issued Colts and they shoot many more rounds than me, so their problems occur more often. I shot a sweet LMT last week ($3000). First 5 rounds inside a quarter at 100 yards. The scope costs more than my DTI setup. And my DTI cannot match that. I am no expert. But, I learned from some very experienced shooters. I enjoy shooting, and can afford to put a lot of lead down range. In my current profession shooting is a hobby and I don't expect my life will depend on my DTI. The Seacamp in my pocket has the lifesaving responsibility.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #14

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
If you have a DTI that works, great. But someone buying new and on a tight budget should look at PSA, Spikes and even Sionics.
I have a couple PSAs and a spikes , my buddy has a DTI and it runs like a champ with what ever he puts thru it , its very accurate @ 100 yards and has run flawless from day one , I dont know the exact round count thru his but Im more than sure he has rougly 2000-2500 rds thru it since Jan . He is a every weekend shooter and I know he shot as many or more than I did last weekend and I spent around 450 rds of steel ammo . I see alot of people knocking on the cheaper ARs but for what reason I cannot find besides them being cheaper priced . I dont hear of many problems with them for all the slamming I see on the forums and not just this one . There is a training group/ carbine class around here and thats all they use in their courses is DTI stuff , from what I hear they have very few issues with there stuff and they do run full auto courses also .

I have come to the conclusion with the exception of a few manufacturers that most all of the slamming of certain brands is people that have never even touched the one they are slamming or calling out as a cheaply made , unreliable rifle . I do however feel as those people seem to read the forums regularly and see for instance " my brand X is having issues with misfeeds " or FTE , ETC . What you dont read on the forums is My brand X has run 16,000 rds flawless, is very accurate and runs great , People overlook the good for the evil they can bring against brand X . So people make the assumption that because what they read and others have posted that brand X is a POS which is untrue . I have shot several different brands from high end Colts to a low end Bushmaster Carbon 15 and to be honest with you I have not had any of them malfuntion while shooting .
So take what you will on the forums , I see just as many Colts, BCMs, PSA's and Etc that have issues from accuracy , broken bolts, FTF, FTE , mis-machining , etc mostly on the forums. ALL GUNS WILL HAVE A FAILURE AT SOME POINT IN TIME wether is a big $$$ brand or a low $$$$ brand . They are all fixable .

There are a lot of brand junkies out there that have sore spots for particular brands , I see it in every forum I go to from archery to cameras, automobiles, electronics, etc . Take what you will from this because everything you read on the forums is just a personal opinion and most of it is personal preference and not personal experience .
Be happy with what you purchase , have no regrets and dont let the brand bashers get to you

Last edited by purehavoc; 06-05-2012 at 06:30 PM.
ktmboyz Likes This 
Old 06-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #15

Liked 188 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 108

It's good to hear some good criticism about DTI. I think its definitley the brand I'm going to go with...I have seen no first hand reviews and at 500 bucks for what I am lookin at seems like a great deal.

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2
53 Springfield M1 Garand

Old 06-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #16

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

In the end I'd rather see a guy purchase a mediocre AR than none at all.

I would like to see a shift in concentration from brand of AR to actually shooting.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:13 AM   #17

Liked 1062 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
In the end I'd rather see a guy purchase a mediocre AR than none at all.

I would like to see a shift in concentration from brand of AR to actually shooting.

Can't argue with that. Sadly many people too quickly have it all figured out "what's best" then ignore other opinions. Too much work researching and comparing specs yet they'll watch all the sitcoms on TV. Hopefully they're happy with the brand they buy and spread the good word about ARs to other potential gun buyers. Where the problem is - is when a person aims too low, gets burned then makes it a point to tell everyone they know that ARs suck.

Sadly that's the case too often and why many of us try to tell the rest of the story when someone asks for "the best AR".

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:30 AM   #18

Liked 188 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Thanks for all the info everyone. I'll probably start my build in a month or so....can't wait until its all done and I'll make sure to post pictures for you guys to see