AR build
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 188 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Default AR build

Hey everyone, i don't really know much about building an AR15. I have skimmed through some of the stickies and I could say I partially understand the parts needed, though I am FAR from an expert, still very much a n00b at this. Correct me if I am wrong but from what I understand you need to have a lower receiver, a trigger assembly, an upper receiver, a barrel, and whichever sights you prefer. I found a website that sells everything you need but a lower receiver, and i wanted to check it out with you guys to see if its a crap deal/incomplete or not even what I am looking for.

Here's a link http://www.ar15-kits.com/index1.html the one I'm looking at is the fourth down on the right, the M-4 style 16" rifle.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #2

Liked 1060 Times on 746 Posts
Likes Given: 1060

First you need to tell us what you plan to do with the AR and what your budget is. The right rifle for me isn't necessarily right for you. Don't be in a hurry, read and learn before pulling out the credit card.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #3

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

..........withdrawn

Old 06-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #4

Yea I have plenty of time before I can even think of putting together an AR. At this point it's a distant dream, but I am definitely serious about buying one and I know that building them is a more affordable option than buying them whole. As for my uses I would mainly just use it for target, probably at about 100-200 yards. I also just absolutely love the weapon system I shot it once and fell in love with it. I guess you could say its a SHTF weapon as well. I am not looking for an ultra rugged, throw a handful of dirt in the action, swim a mile and be able to shoot bad guys kind of weapon. Cheaper is better for me, but quality is definitely key. I don't want something that will have a FTF after i put 100 rounds through it.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #5

Liked 1060 Times on 746 Posts
Likes Given: 1060

Look at PSA, I think you'll get a better AR for the money. Also look at BCM if you can save up a little more cash.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:59 AM   #6

I think I'm gunna go with DTI for the guts and the upper, and spikes tactical for the stripped lower. The only other question I really have would be about a muzzle brake/flash hider. I know that flash hiders are illegal in New York State, but I'm not sure about the legality of muzzle brakes. Guess I'll ask the folks at my LGS when I go to get my Marlin on the weekend

Old 06-05-2012, 04:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNARG
I think I'm gunna go with DTI for the guts and the upper, and spikes tactical for the stripped lower. The only other question I really have would be about a muzzle brake/flash hider. I know that flash hiders are illegal in New York State, but I'm not sure about the legality of muzzle brakes. Guess I'll ask the folks at my LGS when I go to get my Marlin on the weekend
PWS FSC556 is ban state legal. It works well as comp and does a little flash suppressing as well.

I personally prefer the BattleComp.

What made you decide on DTI?

Old 06-05-2012, 04:17 AM   #8

I did some googleing and read some reviews and it really seemed to be my best option in terms of affordability and reliability. Here's a link to my future setup

http://www.del-ton.com/Rifle_Kit_p/rkt100.htm

Do you have any personal experiences with the brand?

Old 06-05-2012, 04:19 AM   #9

Now all i need to do is find some 10rd mags....stupid New York State.......

Old 06-05-2012, 04:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNARG View Post
I did some googleing and read some reviews and it really seemed to be my best option in terms of affordability and reliability. Here's a link to my future setup

http://www.del-ton.com/Rifle_Kit_p/rkt100.htm

Do you have any personal experiences with the brand?
I have not and don't plan to. I have done quite a bit of research and b/w that and what more experienced shooters have shared DTI is just not an option. There are better options out there for the same or slightly more money. Ive come to realize that a few extra dollars can net huge improvements in quality/value.

If you're going to piece one together, Spikes makes a good mil spec BCG for around $100 as does PSA. AR Performance.com makes a good barrel for right under $200.

Edit: there is a way to have quality on a budget.

Last edited by MikeJK; 06-05-2012 at 05:06 AM.