An ar build
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > An ar build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 07:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Default An ar build

I know nothing of ars and would like to get into them. I own pistols and feel im ready for the next tier. Where should I start, im all about customizing so idont want to buya built rifle. Id also like to build an ar that id be very pleased with for at least 5 years, meaning I want one that will make me not want another

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #2

Liked 1310 Times on 739 Posts
Likes Given: 571

Just start reading the threads in the AR15 section. You can learn how to assemble a custom rifle. Also lots of info. about the various manufacturers and vendors that sell components.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #3

Liked 1310 Times on 739 Posts
Likes Given: 571

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig View Post
Id also like to build an ar that id be very pleased with for at least 5 years, meaning I want one that will make me not want another
Warning, they multiply like rodents.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:22 PM   #4

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig View Post
I know nothing of ars and would like to get into them. I own pistols and feel im ready for the next tier. Where should I start, im all about customizing so idont want to buya built rifle. Id also like to build an ar that id be very pleased with for at least 5 years, meaning I want one that will make me not want another
Not possible!

Old 03-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

If you want one that won't make you want another I'd suggest a DPMS or Olympic. Hell, you'll want to get rid of it w/i the first couple range trips

If you are wanting something to last look at a quality unit from BCM, Daniel Defense, or Colt.

From your OP it sounds like you excited to accessories. Be careful and find out what you need before spending money. W/ so many options it's easy to end up w/ a box of stuff you tried but didn't like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #6

Liked 1150 Times on 746 Posts
Likes Given: 2041

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
From your OP it sounds like you excited to accessories. Be careful and find out what you need before spending money. W/ so many options it's easy to end up w/ a box of stuff you tried but didn't like.
I agree with this totally , I wasnt happy with the standard forearm so I went magpul and love how it feels to me , I would like to purchase a Troy TRX in
15" for my 16" barrel , I just cant pull the trigger on a $189 forearm because if I dont like it will lay around because I wont take a beating on selling it

Old 03-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #7

Liked 339 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
I agree with this totally , I wasnt happy with the standard forearm so I went magpul and love how it feels to me , I would like to purchase a Troy TRX in
15" for my 16" barrel , I just cant pull the trigger on a $189 forearm because if I dont like it will lay around because I wont take a beating on selling it
Dude. If you don't like it I'll buy it from ya, so get off yer @ss and buy it already >.<

But get the VTAC version, i like the slotted look over the round cutouts. if possible >.<

Last edited by AgentTikki; 03-28-2012 at 03:09 PM.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #8

Liked 78 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
I won't hold of on buying something because I may not like it. I prefer to do the touchy feely thing, obviously, but if I can't, I'll order it and use the 30 day money back guarantee.
Order it, put it on, and if you don't like the feel of it, don't think 'well, a trip to the range and I'll love it', just pack it back up and send it back.
Or sell it to Agent. He sounds like he has vague interest in it.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #9

Liked 339 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Not Vague! I'm considereing the Troy Vtac 15", Samson 15" handguards for my next build.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #10

Liked 78 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Not Vague! I'm considereing the Troy Vtac 15", Samson 15" handguards for my next build.
The 'vague' was a very poor attempt at humor, as you made it quite clear you would purchase it if he didn't like it.