You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

AR Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Take your time w/ the Spikes. If you have friends w/ a bunch of AR stuff try their accessories out on your rifle to see what you like before spending your money.

I'm sure you mentioned it but I can't remember, what are youe intentions w/ the Spikes?

Old 11-03-2011, 04:31 PM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Take your time w/ the Spikes. If you have friends w/ a bunch of AR stuff try their accessories out on your rifle to see what you like before spending your money.

I'm sure you mentioned it but I can't remember, what are youe intentions w/ the Spikes?
It's mainly just a range/fun gun, with some SHTF/Zombie defense thrown in. Once I get into law enforcement, if we're allowed to use our own firearms, it'll be my car rifle.

I know I definitely need a longer rail. I'm 6'3", and the carbine hand guard just isn't doing it for me. I fondled a rifle with the TRX Extreme and that is a nice, and super light, hand guard. I think I may go with the Troy Alpha 13" without the built in sight though. It has the updated mounting system that doesn't require a special barrel nut.

Other than that it's just a light of some kind, most likely a surefire, an AFG, a ML3 at some point in the future, and a couple other odds and ends; BAD lever, different trigger guard, Troy Flip Up sights.

Unfortunately, I've only got one buddy with an AR, and he's happy with it in it's original configuration. I'm kind of lucky in the fact that the gun store/range that I frequent, has a very good AR selection, so there are always rifles for me to fondle.

Other than the sling, I'm gonna get a case of ammo before I get any other accessories to get good and acquainted with the rifle.

-Fred

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 11-03-2011, 04:38 PM   #23

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Good deal, nice plan.

I have a few rifles w/ the Troy Extreme and like it a lot. They all have the old mounting system and have been on and off countless times w/o a problem. I have read others w/ worse luck though. I'll have to check the new non front sight version out. Try the rail w/o the AFG you might like it better.

I'm an AJ major as well. Lucky for me the local PD just got the go ahead on new Colts

Purchase a couple boxes of Tula or Wolf and see if your rifle likes it. You'll save a lot of money that way and it's great training ammo.

Edit: oh yeah, get your damn HW done!

Old 11-03-2011, 05:59 PM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat
Good deal, nice plan.

I have a few rifles w/ the Troy Extreme and like it a lot. They all have the old mounting system and have been on and off countless times w/o a problem. I have read others w/ worse luck though. I'll have to check the new non front sight version out. Try the rail w/o the AFG you might like it better.

I'm an AJ major as well. Lucky for me the local PD just got the go ahead on new Colts

Purchase a couple boxes of Tula or Wolf and see if your rifle likes it. You'll save a lot of money that way and it's great training ammo.

Edit: oh yeah, get your damn HW done!
Yeah, it seems to be ok for some, but I've heard from others that it can strip out. I saw a booth review of Troy at shot and the guy even acknowledged that the mounting system on the Extreme is a weak point so I figure I'll just save myself any possible problems and go with the alpha.

I've been using the thumb-over with the standard hand guard and it works ok, but the short length hinders it. I'll definitely try it without first before I get an AFG.

Most of the agencies around here have ARs, but they're mostly A1 carbines from companies like Bushmaster, so if I have the option to use my own I will.

Can't wait to grt out there though. I've only go this semester, next semester and then I'll be in the academy, then out for the job hunt.

I was actually gonna stop by wal Mary before my next range trip to see if they had some Tula. I don't buy into the whole steel cased ammo is the devil stereotype.

I dont mind the CJ homework, it's the Spanish that kills me.

-Fred

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 11-03-2011, 10:06 PM   #25

I've been running my RR .458 Upper for a few months now, and it is the "Hog Stomper Supreme" in my opinion..
I previously owned the DPMS .308AR and a 6.8 Upper as well...Previously..the .308 was too finiky with ammo selection, and the 6.8, I just never felt the love, even though she came thru many times on hogs.
I kept my .223, and picked up an upper in 7.62x39, and the .458 SOCOM, and purpose built lowers for each..The .458 is hands down my favorite, even though my N/V scope is on the 7.62X39...If I was sure my Digisight N550 would handle the .458 recoil, it would wear the same head dress!
I have put together up a few of the loads recommended by other owners, and with a few tweaks, have several dead nutz accurate hog loads..
As is often said in the drag racing jargon, "there's no replacement for displacement", and bigger is often waaay better!
I suggest asking a few members in your area if you could try their favorite caliber conversions of the AR the next range visit they have planned..It's a cheap way to find out your "perfect match"...or not!
Bill

Old 11-03-2011, 11:58 PM   #26

Liked 462 Times on 268 Posts
Likes Given: 22

So if I was to get the Beowulf or .458 upper, ignoring the buffer spring strengthening, should my 5.56 lower be able to handle the stress of the recoil or would I need to buy a new lower too?