Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   AR Buffers (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar-buffers-72429/)

DrewNJNC 09-14-2012 09:23 PM

I wanted to get some clarification on buffers for my first build. For a standard 16" gas 5.56 AR, what weight buffer would you use? Thanks in advance.

Sniper03 09-14-2012 11:49 PM

Drew,

Are you speaking of a Gas Impingement or a Gas Piston Rifle? Either should conform with the following!
Most just have the standard CAR Buffer. If the rifles gas system is correct it will run OK with the Standard Buffer. But you could also use an H-1 (H) CAR Buffer if you choose. It is just slightly heavier than the Standard CAR Buffer.

robocop10mm 09-15-2012 08:28 PM

I prefer the H buffer for this set up.

fsted2a 09-16-2012 05:16 PM

For your first build, I suggest you use the buffer that comes with your buttstock assembly. If that doesn't work like you want, then change up.

rugerry 09-16-2012 07:56 PM

What if you just bought a buffer tube not the assembly?

JonM 09-16-2012 08:53 PM

start with a standard weight buffer. they arent that pricey. if your ejection pattern isnt in the 2:30 to 3:00(directly to the right or just slightly ahead of right) position then you need to go up or down in weight. the ejected cases should not be hitting the case deflector at all.

DrewNJNC 09-16-2012 09:32 PM

Thanks for the info all!

oldpapps 09-16-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 943339)
start with a standard weight buffer. they arent that pricey. if your ejection pattern isnt in the 2:30 to 3:00(directly to the right or just slightly ahead of right) position then you need to go up or down in weight. the ejected cases should not be hitting the case deflector at all.

Mr. JonM,

Further question/s on the same subject.

You state if the ejection pattern isn't 2:30 to 3:00, to go up or down in weight. Ok, is this dependent upon the weapon or is there a general rule of thumb? And what is it?

If the ejected brass is hitting the deflector, is that an extreme of the condition listed above or something else?

I trust your understanding of the weapon. Thanks,

OSOK

JonM 09-17-2012 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldpapps (Post 943486)
Mr. JonM,

Further question/s on the same subject.

You state if the ejection pattern isn't 2:30 to 3:00, to go up or down in weight. Ok, is this dependent upon the weapon or is there a general rule of thumb? And what is it?

If the ejected brass is hitting the deflector, is that an extreme of the condition listed above or something else?

I trust your understanding of the weapon. Thanks,

OSOK

its a sign of a weapon that is either under or over gassed or a weak or strong ejector or in a new build its an indicator of buffer that is too heavy or light. the bcg going to fast to the rear makes the shell case hit the deflector too slow its to far forward or the bolt is out of spec or worn/weak ejector.

if its hitting the deflector its prolly hitting or can hit the rear of the ejection port and get bounced back into the gun. too far forward and it can cause stove piping because its not getting out of the rifle in time.

a properly running ar15 shouldnt throw brass a long way away the cases should be within 2-3 feet of the gun at the most and should be in a nice neat pile. if the gun is scattering cases thats a sign of inconsistant powder charges which can cause you to think something mechanical is wrong. so ejection pattern is a sign but not always a rule