Which AR brand is best for 1st time buyer? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Which AR brand is best for 1st time buyer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 01:28 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

My first AR15 is a Colt LE6940. I paid more than I thought I was going to, but it was absolutely worth it IMO.

You can ask this question to 100 different people and you're going to get 100 different answers. The best advice I can give based on my personal experience: Pick a rifle. Buy it. Learn about it through hands on, and learn from there. Only then will you understand the things you need to look for in an AR15 that match the things YOU want in a rifle.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:35 AM   #12

Liked 1254 Times on 813 Posts
Likes Given: 792

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19cowboy88 View Post
I just went and got my first AR-15 last week. And after a lot of research I got the S&W M&P 15 sport for 700. The only thing it doesnt have is forward assist and dust cover but I didn't see any reason for it. And it seem like I good shooting gun. I put 200 rounds thur it the first week and love shooting every round
have no doubt, a day will come when you wish you had a forward assist. lol
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:21 AM   #13

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Nothing entry level about a Colt 6920 and at $985 or so it's a great value. One of those you can give to your sons son.
Didn't mean it as a knock against the Colt...just that $1,000 gets you a stock rifle with little left over for extras or upgrades.
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-25-2012, 02:36 AM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle

Didn't mean it as a knock against the Colt...just that $1,000 gets you a stock rifle with little left over for extras or upgrades.
Didn't mean to portray that. IMO a quality AR like a Colt is better than some dressed up pig. A fancy rail doesn't do much when your rifle is out of spec and won't cycle correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-25-2012, 12:24 PM   #15

Liked 289 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 441

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
have no doubt, a day will come when you wish you had a forward assist. lol
Why? I never use 'em. If the rifle is built right, there won't be a need. If the bcg doesn't go all the way forward, quicker to pull the charging handle and eject the round. Then fix the gun later. One of my uppers is an SP1, with no forward assist, and I have not missed it one bit. Gene Stoner's original M16 didn't have one, and didn't need it. The prototypes were every bit as reliable as the AK 47. He built it right the first time. The only reason the military needed them is when they were mass produced during wartime in vietnam, and the quality control went down the crapper.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat

Where did you get your Sport?
I'm from ft worth and had 2 call about 10 different places. But found it at a local gun store

Old 02-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop View Post
My first AR15 is a Colt LE6940. I paid more than I thought I was going to, but it was absolutely worth it IMO.

You can ask this question to 100 different people and you're going to get 100 different answers. The best advice I can give based on my personal experience: Pick a rifle. Buy it. Learn about it through hands on, and learn from there. Only then will you understand the things you need to look for in an AR15 that match the things YOU want in a rifle.
It depends on who you ask. You can ask 100 guys at the LGS that stocks DPMS and Oly or ask 100 guys who shoot people for a living and get two different answers. One will be useful, the other not so much. You need to know who to ask.

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #18

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
It depends on who you ask. You can ask 100 guys at the LGS that stocks DPMS and Oly or ask 100 guys who shoot people for a living and get two different answers. One will be useful, the other not so much. You need to know who to ask.
But you're still getting 100 different answers. Everyone has their own opinion on what makes a great rifle. They can ask me, and i'll say _______ is what I look for, and they can ask you and you'll say _________ is what I look for.

The person asking the question is the one who has to define what they're looking for in order to validate either opinion for themselves, and the only real way to do that is to drudge through the opinions, learn the facts, buy a rifle, and figure it out for themselves.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop View Post
But you're still getting 100 different answers. Everyone has their own opinion on what makes a great rifle. They can ask me, and i'll say _______ is what I look for, and they can ask you and you'll say _________ is what I look for.

The person asking the question is the one who has to define what they're looking for in order to validate either opinion for themselves, and the only real way to do that is to drudge through the opinions, learn the facts, buy a rifle, and figure it out for themselves.
You said 100 different answers not 100 answers, big difference. Like I said you need to know who you ask because the usefulness/quality of the reply will vary.

Quote:

Old 02-25-2012, 06:06 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 832 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15noob View Post
Sorry if that question is about to set this forum into a tizzy, but researching this is a monster task I know with so many different brands and models and options. I'm looking for a fair and objective suggestion, knowing that it is still on me to decide. Just looking for some ideas and questions I should ask. Thanks. Much appreciated.
Getting the right answer for you is up to you. There is no single answer for everyone. You can't count on what others like best, you have to decide for yourself.

Don't be lazy like most new buyers, don't trust as gospel what others say, spend days, weeks learning everything you can about ARs and figure out what appeals to you and what doesn't. Go out and rent/handle/shoot different models. Take as long as necessary until you've got your mind wrapped around these rifles. Finally zero in on your applications for such a rifle and choose accordingly. Understand the differences in the basic rifles and the accessories. The more research you put in before the purchase the more you will like the end product.

Given enough time most of us finally do just that but the smart ones figure it out after their first or second AR, finally realizing what they want. Many still have no clue. Sorry, maybe this is blunt but it's true.

Edit:

And after all the above many people will decide to choose their components separately and assemble their own rifle. I'd say that's THE BEST AR.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Last edited by Quentin; 02-25-2012 at 06:13 PM.