Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Which AR brand is best for 1st time buyer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Which AR brand is best for 1st time buyer?

Sorry if that question is about to set this forum into a tizzy, but researching this is a monster task I know with so many different brands and models and options. I'm looking for a fair and objective suggestion, knowing that it is still on me to decide. Just looking for some ideas and questions I should ask. Thanks. Much appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-24-2012, 10:57 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

PSA, BCM, Colt, LMT, and Spikes for sub $1K ARs. I personally would stay away from anything else. Seems like a lot of the others have problems making them picky when it comes to ammo.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-24-2012, 11:00 PM   #3

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

A little more info would be helpful. For example what's your budget? What features are a must have? What do you plan to use it for? What caliber, sights, stock type, barrel length, foregrips are you looking to have? How much work are you willing or comfortable doing yourself?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

From the other thread he started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15noob View Post
Price range topped at 1000 but that would like getting some optic (nothing fancy) and grip and some mags for that price. I hear Walmart has good deal on bushman m4a3 models.
Sounds like he's wanting a general purpose set-up.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-24-2012, 11:16 PM   #5

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

That being the case then I would agree, a grand gets a nice upgraded PSA, Spikes or Stag...or an entry level Colt or LMT.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-24-2012, 11:22 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Nothing entry level about a Colt 6920 and at $985 or so it's a great value. One of those you can give to your sons son.

-John Ruskin

Quote:

Old 02-25-2012, 12:01 AM   #7

I just went and got my first AR-15 last week. And after a lot of research I got the S&W M&P 15 sport for 700. The only thing it doesnt have is forward assist and dust cover but I didn't see any reason for it. And it seem like I good shooting gun. I put 200 rounds thur it the first week and love shooting every round

Old 02-25-2012, 12:09 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19cowboy88
I just went and got my first AR-15 last week. And after a lot of research I got the S&W M&P 15 sport for 700. The only thing it doesnt have is forward assist and dust cover but I didn't see any reason for it. And it seem like I good shooting gun. I put 200 rounds thur it the first week and love shooting every round
Where did you get your Sport?

-John Ruskin

Quote:

Old 02-25-2012, 12:20 AM   #9

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19cowboy88 View Post
How is your sport? I was thinking about getting one but picked up a PSA instead and love the PSA.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:37 AM   #10

I Like it so far. I only put 200 rounds thur it gonna but another 500 or so next weekend and will let y'all know more then