Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Ar ammo getting stuck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 04:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default Ar ammo getting stuck

I have a rock river arms ar-15 recently i have had trouble with a round sticking in the chamber if you load it and try to pull the charging handle back it will not extract. These r not reloads its monarch ammo from academy sports its brass. I have cleaned it out completely the entire bold assembly has been cleaned and stripped completely don't know what else to do ? But if i try the ammo in my dpms ar-15 it will cycle without a problem.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-19-2011, 04:02 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

How many rounds you got through the Rock River? Has this just started, or are these the first rounds through??

Old 06-19-2011, 04:05 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

No have shot about 1000 round thru it , i think it might be the bolt assembly or something with the chamber but need help.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:13 AM   #4

Likes Given: 2

We have a local guy who has what sounds like a similar issue, He is just getting started with the repair/warranty work, But he is thinking the extractor is hanging up on the barrel when it has a round in there.

The only difference is his is a Surplus Arms 7.62x39/6.5Grendel BCG and barrel, I'm unsure of the ammo being used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomofo
I field tested mine last saturday in the desert. I geared up at midnight, walked about 15 miles to set up camp and the next morning I rack around and it wouldn't go into battery; forward assist didn't do anything, bolt is stuck in my brand new barrel, everything is stripped off ready to pull the barrel off, but the carrier is keeping the bolt from coming out the front end and the barrel is keeping it from coming out the back end. I have a feeling the extractor is poking out against the side of the chamber and keeping the bolt from coming out.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:17 AM   #5

Okay, that rules out new chamber issues.

Did you buy the Steel or the Brass cased stuff?

I know it's cheap, but it's a pain in the ass for chambers. The steel stuff, if I remember, is laquered so you really have to scrub that chamber after shooting if you heat the chamber to the point of warming the cases.

The brass stuff is really dirty, but I don't think that would cause such epic failures in extractions unless you have a weak spring or deformed lip on your extractor.

I'm curious now....

Old 06-19-2011, 04:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitSports6 View Post
We have a local guy who has what sounds like a similar issue, He is just getting started with the repair/warranty work, But he is thinking the extractor is hanging up on the barrel when it has a round in there.

The only difference is his is a Surplus Arms 7.62x39/6.5Grendel BCG and barrel, I'm unsure of the ammo being used.
Jesus Christ man, is that a broken bolt handle from trying to dislodge the round?!?!

Old 06-19-2011, 04:22 AM   #7

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Jesus Christ man, is that a broken bolt handle from trying to dislodge the round?!?!
yes indeed
I had nothing to do with it, Honest

Old 06-19-2011, 04:29 AM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2235 Times on 1119 Posts
Likes Given: 1146

Have you ever used that varnished Wolf ammunition in your rifle?
03. If so that is probably your problem. Rock River recommends it never to be used in their ARs. Speaking of a good rifle I guess my take on it is, if you had a 944 Turbo Porch would you run 43 octane gas in it? Also have you been able to clean behind the locking lug area of the barrel extension. Also what is the brass telling you when you inspect it. Regarding the Bushy, they do not maintain as close of a throat dimension requirement as the Rock Rivers. I am not saying they are bad. But normally a little more throat. If the brass is a little longer on the OAL that could cause a problem. After thorough cleaning of the chamber have you tried some other ammunition in the Rock River?

Old 06-19-2011, 04:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitSports6 View Post
yes indeed
I had nothing to do with it, Honest
Riiiiight! Just another one of those "A friend of mine once did" moments we will keep between us......

JD

Old 06-19-2011, 04:34 AM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2235 Times on 1119 Posts
Likes Given: 1146

I addition. Is this a rifle built by Rock River or a parts gun. If the upper was built by Rock River it will have the laser Rock River Logo on the Upper Receiver above the charging handle on the flat surface behind the picatinny rail. If not it is a parts gun with a RRA Lower. Please just advise and we will all attempt to assist. It is surprising that evidently the rifle was working well before?? And suddenly started this?

Last edited by Sniper03; 06-19-2011 at 04:37 AM.