AR or AK
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR or AK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default AR or AK

Ok so I'm in the market for an AR but I'm also considering an AK in light of a recent discussion I've had with a guy I work with I've shot several Ar's but have only held the AK. I'm looking for some opinions on this.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #2

Liked 271 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Personally I prefer the AR.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #3

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyno13
Personally I prefer the AR.
I'm with you on this. But do what a lot of people do save and get both.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

I went with a PWS MK114, which is kind of like the best of both; AK inspired internals (long stroke piston) AR platform. check them out: www.primaryweapons.com

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56
Trombo1 Likes This 
Old 10-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #5

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

the funniest description for this age old question i've seen is:

AR is the prom queen, higher maintenance, but damn ain't she worth it.
AK is the school slut, not much to look at, but she's a sure thing.

My personal opinion? Why choose between the two, get them both!

People Like This 
Old 10-20-2012, 05:30 PM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 18

AK is somewhat limited in range and accuracy. The barrel whip is insane. Most AK's that you will have an option of buying were imported as demilled parts kits from other countries surplus supplies, and remanufactured here in the US by companies like Century International Arms. The ATF put a stop to that, so the AK supply appears to be dying off. You can still find them, but they're getting more expensive every year. About 10 years ago I got my Yugo AK and Hungarian AMD65 both for around $350. Now they're past $600 even $800, and your selection is narrow among heavily used rifles.

This is all without considering that replacing the barrel will require a hydraulic press. The barrel of an AK is pressed into the front trunnion block. The AR is designed as a modular rifle from the ground up, with a free floating barrel attached via a barrel nut. It's fairly easy to swap barrels with the correct tools. Also, when you're holding the AR, the pressure you're supporting the hand guard with is not being transferred to the barrel, but to the upper receiver.

The gas system of the AR provides a smooth operation with less recoil since the bolt assembly is spread from the center out to the rear with an expanding gas pulse. The AK directly connects the bolt carrier to a huge piston that is violently slammed to the back of the receiver.

AR has a huge hand up on the AK. I don't care how reliable it is. I want accuracy, low weight, low recoil, modular platform.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1151 Times on 751 Posts
Likes Given: 690

OP, what are you looking to do with it/ them? for the most part the AR will shoot more accurate. both are fun. both are reliable. comes down to what you like... personally i vote for the AR

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #8

Liked 2294 Times on 1347 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Kind of depends on what you want to do with the gun.

If I had to pick only one, I'd probably go with the AR because of the modularity. You could have one lower receiver and multiple uppers for different uses such as hunting, competition, defense, and even in different calibers.

If you want basics. Go for the AK.

As far as a lot of Internet opinions go keep this in mind. AKs are generally more accurate, and ARs are generally more reliable than most folks give them credit for.

My idea of a good compromise is the Sig 556.

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 10-20-2012 at 05:56 PM.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2603 Times on 1271 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

The AKs are good weapons if you get a quality one as are the ARs.
However my preference is the AR. Due to as was said the optional equipment available for them. The ease of mounting optics on and also having a co-witness application using bothe iron sights and optics. In addition faster to reload due to the fact you do not have to maneuver the magazine is a certain way rocking it back and locking it in to position. The AR Mag simple goes straight in and locks. There are also some fine triggers that you can buy for the AR that just retrofits into most receivers.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 10-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #10

Liked 2294 Times on 1347 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Quote:
Originally Posted by slog View Post
AK is somewhat limited in range and accuracy. The barrel whip is insane. Most AK's that you will have an option of buying were imported as demilled parts kits from other countries surplus supplies, and remanufactured here in the US by companies like Century International Arms. The ATF put a stop to that, so the AK supply appears to be dying off. You can still find them, but they're getting more expensive every year. About 10 years ago I got my Yugo AK and Hungarian AMD65 both for around $350. Now they're past $600 even $800, and your selection is narrow among heavily used rifles.

This is all without considering that replacing the barrel will require a hydraulic press. The barrel of an AK is pressed into the front trunnion block. The AR is designed as a modular rifle from the ground up, with a free floating barrel attached via a barrel nut. It's fairly easy to swap barrels with the correct tools. Also, when you're holding the AR, the pressure you're supporting the hand guard with is not being transferred to the barrel, but to the upper receiver.

The gas system of the AR provides a smooth operation with less recoil since the bolt assembly is spread from the center out to the rear with an expanding gas pulse. The AK directly connects the bolt carrier to a huge piston that is violently slammed to the back of the receiver.

AR has a huge hand up on the AK. I don't care how reliable it is. I want accuracy, low weight, low recoil, modular platform.
There are more US made parts now and US Barrels than there used to be for AKs a few years ago. The ATF didn't put a stop to the importation of all the parts kits but they did restrict importation of barrels. Again US companies have stepped in to make barrels now. So there are a lot of new AKs being made here still.

Also, not all ARs have floated barrels. If using standard GI handguard a or many drop in replacement hand guards, pressure can still be exerted on the barrel through a sling or a rest.

These are just details. I tend to agree with the rest if your post.