AR after market trigger assembly
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR after market trigger assembly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 12:19 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Default AR after market trigger assembly

I have several ARs but they all have run of the mil-spec triggers. Over the next few month I'm going to build another and want a nicer trigger. The rifle will just be used here on my range for trying to shoot little bitty groups for my amusement and hopefully impress my friends. I won't say money is no object because it always is but I won't let a few dollars stand between me and a good trigger. If I find one I like I'll probably add one to a couple of my other rifles in the future. Tell me what you have tried that did or didn't work for you. Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Firearms Talk mobile app

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-06-2014, 12:21 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1249 Times on 700 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Rock River two stage is what I use if I want something other than a mil-spec trigger.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:34 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
Rock River two stage is what I use if I want something other than a mil-spec trigger.
That trigger does get good reviews on Brownells with 4 stars and at $108.33 the price is reasonable. Thanks.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 01-06-2014, 01:41 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 268 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 36

For upgraded 'combat' triggers, I really like the $40-50 ALG QMS trigger. Milspec 5-8lb weight, but crisp and clean. I've also been really happy with the triggers that come in PSA kits (this DOES NOT include the PTAC versions). Maybe I've been lucky, but mine have all been really clean time and again.

For a benchrest/varmint trigger, I chose the Hiperfire Hipertouch 24. I've been very happy with it and like that it came with three different sets of springs. Like many others in its class, they run about $200. The Geissele SSA is the other one I would recommend based on experience. Other shooters like Timney, CMC, RRA, etc.

When it comes to many of the $150-250 type match triggers, you can probably save yourself $50 by keeping your eyes peeled for deals if you're willing to wait a couple weeks. I bought my $200 Hyperfire with a complete lower build kit ($100 value) for under $200.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:49 AM   #5

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Im not I, pressed with my RR 2 STAGE . first im not a 2 stage fan but its what came in the rifle . Second I have single stage triggers that break cleaner . Maybe I got a fluke . I shot a timney over the summer it was ok , the Geisselle I shot was very very nice but I dont know what model it was . I shot a fri3nds a couple of weeks ago , he sent it away to a place in MN .and it was super sweet . I think he paid $65 for them to modify it . It was one of the best triggers I have ever shot on a AR . I will see if I can find out where he had it done at

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 01-06-2014, 02:16 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
For upgraded 'combat' triggers, I really like the $40-50 ALG QMS trigger. Milspec 5-8lb weight, but crisp and clean. I've also been really happy with the triggers that come in PSA kits (this DOES NOT include the PTAC versions). Maybe I've been lucky, but mine have all been really clean time and again.

For a benchrest/varmint trigger, I chose the Hiperfire Hipertouch 24. I've been very happy with it and like that it came with three different sets of springs. Like many others in its class, they run about $200. The Geissele SSA is the other one I would recommend based on experience. Other shooters like Timney, CMC, RRA, etc.

When it comes to many of the $150-250 type match triggers, you can probably save yourself $50 by keeping your eyes peeled for deals if you're willing to wait a couple weeks. I bought my $200 Hyperfire with a complete lower build kit ($100 value) for under $200.
I'm not in any hurry at all so will keep my eyes open for deals. I have never used any PSA parts but thats what came with my stripped lower. I'll probably put it together and play with it while I'm waiting. Not expectong the barrel till maybe March. Thanks for the input.

1388974608737.jpg  

Old 01-06-2014, 02:19 AM   #7
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7639 Times on 4156 Posts
Likes Given: 15976

Look up Bill Springfield. He can perfect your existing trigger.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 01-06-2014, 02:21 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5912 Times on 3085 Posts
Likes Given: 415

I've got giselle , cmc, timney, and rra

My pref is for the gieselle followed very damn close by the rra then the cmc and way in the back timney.

I find two stage friendlier for accurate shooting as after the take up, the second stage has a lighter break than a typical one stage. Both the gieselle and rra are drop in and don't need special pins to install as they both are refined versions of military triggers. The other two are drop in trigger packs that you also need either kns pins or goofy set screws to keep in place.

After doing a trigger job the sear mating surfaces have to be rehardened and that's not an easy task and requires know how. Its why I never send a trigger or gun off for a trigger job. Such things remove that layer of hardened steel

Just my personal taste in triggers

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 01-06-2014 at 02:23 AM.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:21 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Im not I, pressed with my RR 2 STAGE . first im not a 2 stage fan but its what came in the rifle . Second I have single stage triggers that break cleaner . Maybe I got a fluke . I shot a timney over the summer it was ok , the Geisselle I shot was very very nice but I dont know what model it was . I shot a fri3nds a couple of weeks ago , he sent it away to a place in MN .and it was super sweet . I think he paid $65 for them to modify it . It was one of the best triggers I have ever shot on a AR . I will see if I can find out where he had it done at
Thanks pure. Let me know if you get more info on what and where he had work done. I hope you liked this Friday better than last.

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 01-06-2014, 02:38 AM   #10

Liked 712 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 1949

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post

Is there any real benefit to the ALG ACT over the QMS?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ