Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR/ACOG question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR/ACOG question

Which Trijicon best suits a Smith & Wesson MP15 PC at a range of 100-600 yards??? (:->

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5121 Times on 2667 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Im using a ta31f-g on my bcm 16" carbine. Similar to your setup in barrel length and upper reciever. I prefer the green reticle over red since green shows up better under all light conditions especially dusk and dawn where red gets lost in dimming light. Trijicon green shows up better against a green background than red does.

I know it doesnt sound right but it does work that way. That is unless your blind to green colour of course.

I highly recomend the american defense manufacturing qd mount over the larue mount.

Larue uses cheap soft screws on their mounts. One stripped out and i had to verrrrrry carefully drill it out and extract it out of my oh so pricey acog. Installed using 35 inch pounds torque and some rocksett which has a weaker shear strength than blue locktite and is designed for high heat applications.

If i knew that larue uses non hardened screws i wouldnt have used their screws.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 03-01-2013 at 02:28 PM.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #3

Do suggested ACOG models change with barrel length??? Do you recommend differently with a 20" barrel versus a 16"??? I like green much better also. (:->

Old 03-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by caboutin View Post
Do suggested ACOG models change with barrel length??? Do you recommend differently with a 20" barrel versus a 16"??? I like green much better also. (:->
barrel length really doesnt matter for the purposes of an acog. the military uses them on 14.5" and 20" barreled rifles.

what matters is the version of reticle the acog has. if your getting one with a bdc you just need one calibrated to your ammo choice. they make them for several different calibers primarily 223 and 308.

acogs arent target optics. they are designed to enable the rifleman to hit an 18"x18" up to 600yards

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-01-2013, 11:40 PM   #5

So what would b the best target scope??? That last statement was very helpful.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:27 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

i use a nightorce benchrest scope on my precision ar15.

a typical 16" carbine isnt going to get much gain out of a top end target scope.

i use a nikon m308bdc on my scar17. excellent optic for a combat grade rifle. im sure the m223bdc is similar in performance on a carbine length gun. i think its a good choice without the cost of a nightforce on a gun that cant really take advantage of the higher end optic.

if things go ohsht its going to be my bcm and acog and scar17 and nikon that will see me through

Old 03-02-2013, 02:46 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5084 Times on 2891 Posts
Likes Given: 4244

I have a TA31H (red) on my Colt LE6940. Love it.

For target work, I have a Mini-ACOG with red crosshair on my old 20 inch SP1. Very precise.

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:01 AM   #8

I have been told that ACOG's are not intended for target fun. Let me tell you people something, I value your comments to the n'th degree but I am tired of buying merchandise (****) that doesn't perform. Give me all you got!!!

Old 03-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #9

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

It's really on what your looking to do with it

If your looking for a precision roll. Then the acog might not be for you. I've used it for years now. At ranges You end up using Kentucky windage but its a decently good combat optic. But there's also a couple different ones to choose from. There are so many optics out there. Just gotta find one that fits your needs

Old 03-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #10

I believe I am going to give one of the Nikon scopes designed to be used with 5.56 a whirl. I actually have 3 scopes to try at the range today to get a better idea of what I want: Leupold VR Patrol, UTG 1-4X, and an old Redfield Marine Sniper scope that I lucked up on in a gun purchase. Going to spend some time shooting at 200 and decide if I want the challenge of longer distances. Longer distances may take the fun out of it. (:->