Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   AR Accuracy (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar-accuracy-63493/)

MikeJK 04-29-2012 01:25 PM

There seems to be so much talk about group size. "My AR shoots quarter sized groups at 50 yards," or "I'm 1 1/2 inches at 100yards." There's also the, "it's not junk it shoots 1 inch groups."

Accuracy is nice. We all want to know we can hit what we're shooting at.

Are we judging the quality of the AR by the groups it shoots? Does that seem odd to anyone?

Model70 04-29-2012 01:34 PM

I'm no AR guy, only shot one once, not my thing. Not trying to be sarcastic or a jerk, just a strait forward question. What is it you judge them on?

MikeJK 04-29-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Model70
I'm no AR guy, only shot one once, not my thing. Not trying to be sarcastic or a jerk, just a strait forward question. What is it you judge them on?

What do you think is a good judge of a rifle designed for combat purposes?

BenLuby 04-29-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJK (Post 785347)
There seems to be so much talk about group size. "My AR shoots quarter sized groups at 50 yards," or "I'm 1 1/2 inches at 100yards." There's also the, "it's not junk it shoots 1 inch groups."

Accuracy is nice. We all want to know we can hit what we're shooting at.

Are we judging the quality of the AR by the groups it shoots? Does that seem odd to anyone?

To quote the legendary Cane, I judge mine on minute of bad guy. I won't be on Topshot trying to split a bullet on an axe head, nor will I be running and gunning in 3 gun challenge.
If I'm lucky, the most intense challenge I'll ever face will be a buck at 100 yards with him in my sights. But just in case? I want to know that I send lead down the hill, it's hitting and taking them down. I don't really concern myself with shooting fifty rounds in a hole the size of a silver dollar at 100 meters while running downhill in a blizzard.
It must shoot reliably, it must play billy goat and eat anything I throw at it to shoot, and it must hit the target.

Model70 04-29-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJK

What do you think is a good judge of a rifle designed for combat purposes?

That's what I'm asking.

Axxe55 04-29-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJK (Post 785354)
What do you think is a good judge of a rifle designed for combat purposes?

IMO, a rifle that fires everytime under the worst of conditions, wet, dry, cold, hot, ect., ect... a rifle that is accurate say out to at least 300 yards if one takes slow careful aim and fires single shots engaging the target. a rifle that is easy to clean and maintain with a minimum amount of equipment.

steve4102 04-29-2012 02:05 PM

I judge all of my rifle by many things and one of the most important is Accuracy.

BenLuby 04-29-2012 02:31 PM

Reliability, durability, accuracy, ease of maintenance are my order or importance.

purehavoc 04-29-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenLuby (Post 785388)
Reliability, durability, accuracy, ease of maintenance are my order or importance.

This is it right here. What more can u ask for

MikeJK 04-29-2012 02:53 PM

I have always found it strange that people will defend their ARs reputation by stating it's group size or it's prowess from a vice.

I just needed some clarity as my head was about to fall off my neck from the constant left to right movement.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:38 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.