Which Ar? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Which Ar?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 982 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 631

Now, after looking on Colt's website, (it's not really very helpful), and on the internet in general, I see references made to the "different" LE6920's. SP VS M4 VS true LE models. Colt's site seems to make no distinction. In addition, the LE6920 is listed both under the Civilian and Law Enforcement sections. One has the handle on top, which I prefer, the other doesn't. Anyone have any details on all this stuff?

Old 03-08-2013, 11:03 PM   #22

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrl78 View Post
How does base model bushmaster compare to a base model colt or dd?
Bushmaster is perfectly functional just like Delton + DPMS IMO.. but if you want a generalized subjective ranking:

Hesse+Vulcan<BM+ DPMS+ Delton<RRA+Stag+S&W<Colt<DD+BCM <LMT+LWRC+LaRue

But gone are the days when u could just rank a gun by brand it also depends on the particular model.

For example a Delton 416 Magpul MOE has better barrel and features than a S&W Sport.
A RRA with a midlenght gas system and the right barrel is IMO more desirable than some "higher" brands with a Carbine gas system..

So it can get complicated

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Last edited by bluez; 03-09-2013 at 12:39 PM.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:00 AM   #23

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I did pick up bushmaster ar 15 carbon. It was $800 with a red dot sight. With the way ar sales are going, I was lucky if I was going to find one under $1800. Most Colts, dpms, rock river, etc...are going for $2000 plus and I just can't afford that kind cash right now on a gun. So I went with bushmaster carbon.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:09 AM   #24

Liked 1000 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Now, after looking on Colt's website, (it's not really very helpful), and on the internet in general, I see references made to the "different" LE6920's. SP VS M4 VS true LE models. Colt's site seems to make no distinction. In addition, the LE6920 is listed both under the Civilian and Law Enforcement sections. One has the handle on top, which I prefer, the other doesn't. Anyone have any details on all this stuff?
Those are all the Colt 6920, doesn't matter if the rollmark says LE or SP or M4. As you said some have a carry handle, some have flip up rear sights, some have the Rogers Super Stock others may have the M4 or MOE stock but the rifle itself is the 6920, a 16" semiauto civilian legal version of the M4. The LE version is civilian legal, now that the 1994 AWB sunset.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:32 AM   #25

Quentin, do you know a place where I can find pictures of them, with SKU #"s to take to my dealer when I ask him to order one? The info you gave was helpful, though, thanks.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:37 AM   #26

Liked 53 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez

Bushmaster is perfectly functional just like Delton + DPMS IMO.. but if you want a generalized subjective ranking:

Hesse+Vulcan<BM+ DPMS+ Delton<RRA+Stag+S&W<Colt<DD+BCM <LMT+LWRC+LaRue

but gone are the days when u could just rank a gun by brand it often depends on the particular model.

For example a Delton 416 Magpul MOE has better barrel and features than a S&W Sport.
A RRA with a midlenght gas system and the right barrel is IMO more desirable than some "higher" brands with a Carbine gas system..

So it can get complicated
This guy has it about right!
Old 03-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #27

So I just got back from the GS, put a deposit on a Colt LE6920. Willing to wait, and they quoted me around $1300. They got in a shipment of 100 AR's the other day, nearly all of them S&W! There were 2 new Colt Light Carbines in the bunch, but they didn't do it for me.

So, thanks for all the opinions, and don't be afraid to throw in yours even though I've ordered a rifle. It might not show up, and other ideas are still welcome!!

Old 03-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Quentin, do you know a place where I can find pictures of them, with SKU #"s to take to my dealer when I ask him to order one? The info you gave was helpful, though, thanks.
Sorry, I don't have a quick link for pics of each or the SKUs. The LE6920 is a great choice and I would have bought one years ago except I wanted midlength gas.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #29

Well, between all the employees at the gun shop, They managed to figure out what I wanted, and which one to order. Why did you want mid-length gas tube? Are there benefits over the others?

Old 03-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #30

To me there is a difference, smoother operation. If you look at the dwell time on the 20", 16" and 14.5" - it's about the same with 12", 9" and 7" gas respectfully. There's about 7-8" of barrel beyond the gas port. With 16" carbine gas length (7") there's 9" past the gas port and many of us think it's a bit too much of a gas pulse.

______