AR in 7.62 x 39 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR in 7.62 x 39

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 04:09 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I was going to echo some of what mjkeat has posted.

The 7.62 x 39mm is a powerful, POWERFUL round inside of about 200 yards. So for a multifire weapon with multiple rounds on target, it's going to do the job.

The problem is, unless you are building a street to street, urban battlefield rifle, it's going to present "issues" in reliability and accuracy.

The ammo isn't "spec", which means it varies quite a bit from lot to lot and sometimes round to round in a single shot, precision category.

If you have a want for this type of rifle, your big issue is going to be tuning the weapon in the following categories:

1) Uneven ammo pressure

2) Feed ramps

3) Magazines, Magazines, Magazines.

Those three categories are going to be key to building a reliable, accurate and consistent weapon.

Personally?

I would look at a different application.

JD
I bought mjkeat's 7.62 barrel, BCG and magazines he had for sale, I have worked on the feed ramps, I have been able to get the rounds to feed manually, So far so good, I am also ready to start reloading(I know it can be more expensive) But that should help on the ammo unevenness.
I haven't had a chance to get to the range with it, But we all have to start somewhere.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:34 AM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitSports6 View Post
I bought mjkeat's 7.62 barrel, BCG and magazines he had for sale, I have worked on the feed ramps, I have been able to get the rounds to feed manually, So far so good, I am also ready to start reloading(I know it can be more expensive) But that should help on the ammo unevenness.
I haven't had a chance to get to the range with it, But we all have to start somewhere.
Are you having problems w/ it?

Old 03-16-2011, 04:55 AM   #13

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Are you having problems w/ it?
not with anything in particular, Just some fine tuning of my mutt
Thanks for asking

Old 03-16-2011, 05:00 AM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Cool. The last thing I wanted was any disappointment.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitSports6 View Post
not with anything in particular, Just some fine tuning of my mutt
Thanks for asking
I built three from Mod 1 Sales kits years ago. A 16" carbine and two 20" full size rifles. All 3 have ran 100% from day one with DPMS frankenmags and Yugo brass cased ammo. I built one of the 20" rifles for my oldest boy, so really I only have 2 but get to shoot all 3.

Over the years I have noticed a few things about mine. Don't know if any of this can cross-apply to the other makers or not?

First thing, ammo has not been an issue. All I've ever used in them is the Yugo brass cased military surplus FMJ. I bought a lifetime supply years ago on the cheap. I have tried mixing ammo, Russian hollowpoints, Chinese FMJ, E. German FMJ, etc. in the same mag and didn't like the results so I just use the Yugo fulltime in these ARs.

A few years after I built these, CProducts came out with their 7.62X39 mags. I bought a few 10 & 30 rd mags. These first gen. mags were junk but I did learn a couple things by trying to make them work.

The front to back slop in the magwell with these rifles really made a difference on dependability. When you push-pull on the bottom of the mag the tighter the fit, the better they ran. Side play didn't seem to matter much but front to back was a deal-breaker. Lucky for me I had used Superior Arms lower frames on two of them, they seem to have the tightest magwell fit, changed out the 3rd one and all are GTG.

I also noticed that when I tweeked the feed lips to get the mag to run 100% in one rifle, It might not be right for the other rifles. Weird, but thats the way it worked.

The latest gen of CProd mags pretty much just plug & play, if you have a tight magwell. I have had to do a minor tweek on the feed lips of a couple, no big deal. I should say too that the DPMS frankenmags have always been 100%, never had to mess with any of mine. I still pick them up when I can find them cheap.

With a good mil dot or range finding scope, 250 yds is no problem for the 7.62x39 yugo ammo thru a 20" AR and its very impressive at 100 yds.

I don't recommend these to anybody, but it seems like a lot of people who have shot mine end up with one or two. I think this is one of those things you buy just because you want it, then it grows on you and you keep it. I still have mine! Ken

"The older I get, The better I was"