AR in 7.62 x 39
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

AR in 7.62 x 39

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 02:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1322 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 576

Default AR in 7.62 x 39

I have a Zombie Defense stripped lower on order, should be here first week of May. I am considering putting a 7.62 x 39 upper on the lower I plan to build.

Who has experience with AR's in 7.62 x 39? So far I have only found information about Bushmaster and Olympic complete uppers. DPMS lists an upper on their website in 7.62 x 39, but there is no information available yet.

Considering the 7.62 x 39 because I already have a 5.56 / 223 and just want to have something different.

Last edited by Gatoragn; 03-15-2011 at 02:52 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-15-2011, 03:06 AM   #2

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Great concept, poor implementation. The taper of the round makes it very hard to get to feed reliably in a standard AR mag well. Where the mag seats, there is no curve, which 7.62x39 needs in order to function well.

44Mag.com has the CProducts mags for a pretty good deal, though, and they are the best of the 7.62x39 mags afaik.

I'd go with another caliber, but the decision is yours.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 03-15-2011, 03:13 AM   #3

Liked 1322 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 576

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't want to drop $500.00 plus on something that does not work.

There are other calibers I am interested in, but ammo is so expensive, e.g. 6.8SPC.

Of course buliding another 5.56/223 would fit the KISS concept when buying ammo.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:49 AM   #4

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

How about .300AAC BLK? I'm thinking of doing one for my next build.

Or, you could do a 9mm. They are a LOT of fun.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 03-15-2011, 04:13 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6823 Times on 3626 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Or 45. Ton of fun with one of those uppers.

I was up in marshfield 3 weeks ago work related. If you find yourself down se wis your welcome to test drive my 45acp upper and 458socom.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 03-15-2011 at 04:16 AM.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:57 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I went w/ C Product mags and had good success. Well once they exchanged the ones
I initially purchased for their current gen mags.

Ar15Performance.com makes a great system in 7.62x39. Their bolt takes care of some issues caused by lack of material in key areas.

I however wouldn't do x39 again. I'm currently waiting on my .300 blk barrel so we'll see how that goes.

As far as curring your desire for something different why not try a different combination/style of 5.56 AR. Maybe try a KISS style. or how about a super light weight? Maybe a precision build or a build geared more towards a combat use rifle?

Its easier keeping your ammo selection to a minimum. Its cheaper as well.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:02 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Great concept, poor implementation. The taper of the round makes it very hard to get to feed reliably in a standard AR mag well. Where the mag seats, there is no curve, which 7.62x39 needs in order to function well.
I've heard all the same things, but I would love to get my hands on one just to see what it would take to get it to function properly. 7.62x39 is a cool (and cheap) surplus round that would really add to the AR's potential ...If it could be reliable

Old 03-16-2011, 02:05 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
I've heard all the same things, but I would love to get my hands on one just to see what it would take to get it to function properly. 7.62x39 is a cool (and cheap) surplus round that would really add to the AR's potential ...If it could be reliable
All you need to get a 7.62x39 to function properly is the number to ar15performance.com and give C Products a call for some magazines. Once I recieved good mags it functioned 100%.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:06 AM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3488 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I was going to echo some of what mjkeat has posted.

The 7.62 x 39mm is a powerful, POWERFUL round inside of about 200 yards. So for a multifire weapon with multiple rounds on target, it's going to do the job.

The problem is, unless you are building a street to street, urban battlefield rifle, it's going to present "issues" in reliability and accuracy.

The ammo isn't "spec", which means it varies quite a bit from lot to lot and sometimes round to round in a single shot, precision category.

If you have a want for this type of rifle, your big issue is going to be tuning the weapon in the following categories:

1) Uneven ammo pressure

2) Feed ramps

3) Magazines, Magazines, Magazines.

Those three categories are going to be key to building a reliable, accurate and consistent weapon.

Personally?

I would look at a different application.

JD

Old 03-16-2011, 03:20 AM   #10

If I were getting an AR it would for sure be in 6.8. The guys I know from Rock River Arms have convinced me it's the way to go. =)

Newest Threads