Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   AR-57 is it worth it... or not? Please tell me!! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar-57-worth-not-please-tell-me-36491/)

Kwaynebb 01-06-2011 05:50 AM

AR-57 is it worth it... or not? Please tell me!!

Im getting ready to make my first ar purchase. Ive been looking at the 57, but I would like to know what capabilities they have for larger game animals. Im not looking to take down the trophy buck, but would like to be able to use it on some hogs or the occasional yote. any info would be appreciated

mjkeat 01-06-2011 12:18 PM

Im not to sure youll be taking down any hogs w/ 5.7.

canebrake 01-06-2011 12:34 PM

WOW, just buy the 5.7 and be disappointed or......in the case of hog hunting, dead.

Want a Hamhock Hammer? Get an AR-45!

Read this;

The Build Time Has Come! << Click Here

I'd be glad to help you build a hog gun.

RARGuns 01-06-2011 01:27 PM

The 57 is a inferior weapon. The round is too short and the fact that it has to turn to load adds a place for the weapon to fail. We sell them to people who insist on them but we don't recommend them ever.

Kwaynebb 01-06-2011 05:02 PM

Cane thank you for the warning. I think it grabbed my attention simply because it was something I havnt seen before, and I found myself a little captivated by its looks. I have thought about building and AR, but I really know very little about them, and dont want to end up spending too much money on this considering I really dont know how much I will use it. Im hoping to stay around a grand if not under. Am I asking too much there.

mjkeat 01-06-2011 05:11 PM

If you can wait a month go w/ a .300 AAC BlackOut. Thats the route Im going. Its basicly a .308 in a 5.56 case.

PTsouthpaw 01-06-2011 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kwaynebb (Post 416366)
Cane thank you for the warning. I think it grabbed my attention simply because it was something I havnt seen before, and I found myself a little captivated by its looks. I have thought about building and AR, but I really know very little about them, and dont want to end up spending too much money on this considering I really dont know how much I will use it. Im hoping to stay around a grand if not under. Am I asking too much there.

You should be able to build yourself a very nice AR for $1000 or under, if you just do some research and shop around. Calibers other than 5.56 generally do cost more to build though. Along with many others I will recommend at least building the lower from a parts kit and stripped receiver. With basic mechanical skills and good set of punches you should be able to pull it off, and It will give you an incredible understanding of how the gun works compared to if you just bought it off the shelf. I assembled my first lower last month, and it was a breeze. I have yet to build an upper (eventually I will though), and as I understand it takes a few more specialized tools. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Ubergopher 01-07-2011 10:36 AM

Personally, I like my AR-57, it's a fun little quirk on the AR-15.

I do see the point in the "turn to load" debate, and if some people help chip in money for ammo costs I'll fire it 'till the magazine malfunctions, I don't see that happening though. That complaint to me seems like baby proofing every little thing you own because there's a maybe that something could maybe happen.

I wouldn't make it my first AR purchase though unless you get a pretty good deal on it.

RARGuns 01-07-2011 01:37 PM

The 300 Blackout is not a bad choice due to it not costing anymore to build than a quality 5.56. We will be debuting one later this week.

As far as building a 5.56 for under $1000., thats easy to do an you should end up with a killer AR. If you need help, thats always free from us.