Ar 30.06?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Ar 30.06?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2009, 08:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ar 30.06?

Does anyone know if there is any company that makes an AR-style rifle chambered in 30.06 Springfield?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-26-2009, 01:30 PM   #2

7.62x51 aka .308 is a close as you're going to get. If you want a round that powerful, get an Armalite AR10, or any of the springfield M1A models. Cetme's aren't bad for the money, but they have head spacer problems. PTR91 is decent for a HK clone. There are many options out there if you want an assault rifle with a round comparable to the 30-06.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCoastie89 View Post
Does anyone know if there is any company that makes an AR-style rifle chambered in 30.06 Springfield?

I remember an article in "Book of the AR" a while back that said there was a company that made a limited production run of AR's in 30-06. It was a 100th anniversary of the 30-06 round. The AR had writing all over it commemorating the anniversary of the round.
I looked for the magazine after I saw you posted this to tell you the name of the company but I cant find it. They only made a limited munber of them and I think they said something about a specific load you have to run out of it (I am assuming because of the pressures a full out 30-06 can do).
Sorry I cant help you more than that. If I find the magazine I will post the name of the company.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 09-26-2009, 04:30 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCoastie89 View Post
The closest you'll get to 30-06 performance is an AR chambered in .308. Look at the DPMS LR308 series. Several members including myself have them and enjoy them immensely! Much more reasonably priced than the Colt, RRA, or Armalite equivalent, and just as accurate if not more so.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 09-26-2009, 04:48 PM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Cobb Manufacturing was making an AR variant in .30-06, .300Win Mag and .338 Lapua. I think they were bought by Bushmaster a couple of years ago and do not know their current status.

Their rifles were very high quality, and they had a very cool removable mag well design that facilitated caliber changes.

I'm sure if you look up "Cobb Manufacturing" you will find dome more up to date info.

I played with their rifles at SHOT and was very impressed at the quality of their displayed products.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:17 PM   #6

Olympic Arms is also gonna be making an AR that chambered in .300 OSSM (Olympic Super Short Mag), that is supposed to be very close, even a little better than 30-06. Here is a link to Oly Arms Website, just look down a little bit and you'll see something about the round. There's some background info on it as well as a link to the ballistic info for it and for the 30-06 for comparison. But like RL said, I have a DPMS AR-10 and they're pretty sweet.

Olympic Arms, Inc. - Home

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 09-26-2009, 10:52 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I was wondering if you need both the AR platform and a 30.06 chambering in one rifle? Could you just be wanting a 30.06 rifle with the follow up ability of an AR (or any semi-auto for that matter)? You can get an M1 Garand (8 rounds of 30.06 semi-auto bliss) from the CMP and that would handle about anything. My CMP Garand was $495 (a "Field Grade"), some were only $395 ("Rack Grade"). 30.06 ammo is $75 for 192 rounds already in clips and in an ammo can. You can get a scout style scope mount, also from the CMP, and you have a rifle that is suited for war to hunting (we did fight a couple of wars with the Garand).

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:44 PM   #8

One problem I see with the garand is that most states have a law where you can have no more than 5 rounds for hunting.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 09-27-2009, 12:11 AM   #9

no problem, 5 rnd en bloc clips are available for the M1 for not very much money.