Which AR???? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Which AR????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

That just might work out Slow. Hampton is only an hour away and I "don't" think it will be a problem as long as I have the famous "Firearms Identification Card" in hand.

It does look as though RR or Stag seem to be good jumping off points. I just never realized that pretty much an AR is an AR..The problem now is gonna be choosing even the basic accessories. It seems I can quickly move up from the $1000.00 bench mark without even blinking but I have a little wiggle room. The question becomes what upgrades if any.

I think I have to touch and fondle a couple so some sort of road trip is in order.
TY...

Old 03-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoAmmoPlease View Post
That just might work out Slow. Hampton is only an hour away and I "don't" think it will be a problem as long as I have the famous "Firearms Identification Card" in hand.

It does look as though RR or Stag seem to be good jumping off points. I just never realized that pretty much an AR is an AR..The problem now is gonna be choosing even the basic accessories. It seems I can quickly move up from the $1000.00 bench mark without even blinking but I have a little wiggle room. The question becomes what upgrades if any.

I think I have to touch and fondle a couple so some sort of road trip is in order.
TY...
You might give him a call to find out biz hours, etc. Sometimes Pete can be a little 'gruff', but don't let that disuade you. That comes from dealing with all the wanna-be-commandos that he has to deal with regularly. If you are up front with him, let him know that you are serious about buying, he will take the time. And you won't go wrong with a Rock River, Stag, and definitely not LMT, all of which he stocks. So you'll be in good hands.

Good luck
Slo

Old 03-08-2010, 06:38 PM   #13

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Another suggestion I might make is to be patient and wait to buy accessories until you understand the platform and know exactly what you want. Believe me when I say that I have a lot of door stops and paper weights around my place that came about by changing my mind after I already had something.

Also, depending upon your needs, don't get too caught up in things like flashlights and the kind of crap you'll probably never need, but that have the coolness about them. That stuff you probably won't need unless you're going into a combat or close-quarters situation.

I'm new to the platform, but I can say from experience what I think you should invest in: the best scope or optic (depending on your situation) that you can afford; a good sling; good quality (polymer) mags like the Magpul pmag; and a good (read Harris) bipod, which makes the sight-in and bench shooting process much easier.

Just my two cents.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:58 PM   #14

The plot thickens a bit as I have found that anything I do get must be in compliance. No collapsable stock but I'm having trouble decyphering what else that entails. I HOPE it doesn't mean a fixed mag. I sure don't mind 10 rounds for general use but hey you never know. Do they even make them with a fixed 10 round mag or would they accept a larger capacity mag when the laws change?? Maybe I will just get the RR Predator. Not much room for doodads but a nice piece of glass and it might be an OK yote gun. What the heck!! We can't hunt anything with a rifle here except yotes anyway. This will be more like a fun at the range plinker rather than anything else. I would still pick up the 20g with 3" #4 buck for in house use anyway. Small light and will make most people RUN!!

I tried reading the attorney general's rules but you have to be a lawyer to digest that crap..

Pete's mailbox was full so I will try him again up in Hampton.

Could anyone tell me the LOP of a average stocked AR???

TY again gentleman!!!

Old 03-08-2010, 07:11 PM   #15

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoAmmoPlease View Post

Could anyone tell me the LOP of a average stocked AR???

TY again gentleman!!!
Average LOP is right around 13". Some have a spacer you can get to get to 13.5"

I need 14.5" for my own shooting needs and have had to resort to full blown custom to get it done right.

JD

Old 03-08-2010, 10:57 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Average LOP is right around 13". Some have a spacer you can get to get to 13.5"

I need 14.5" for my own shooting needs and have had to resort to full blown custom to get it done right.

JD
Thats because you are part Yeti. Good gawd brother, 14.5? You need little sleds for your knuckles when you walk?

Old 03-09-2010, 12:08 AM   #17

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly68 View Post
Thats because you are part Yeti. Good gawd brother, 14.5? You need little sleds for your knuckles when you walk?
LMFAO!! *choking on spit* Damn it man, you just can't surprise a guy with an insult that funny.

*wiping tears away* God damn that was funny!

Old 03-16-2010, 01:06 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Y'all don't realize that you just helped me out deciding on my first AR purchase. My local shop did not stock the RRA so I was looking at either BM or DPMS. After seeing that sale that RRA is having and based on all of the positve feedback I've read on RRA, Looks like I'll have the shop order one for me. My piggy bank had a grand in it..

Thanks guys. You also saved me from opening up ANOTHER thread on what AR to buy. I have to agree with the op, damn too many to choose from out there.

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Old 03-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Just got off the phone with RRA. They are back ordered two months on the sale rifles. The sales rep told me they did not anticipate the kind of response they got to the sale.

I'm not impulsive but I don't want to wait 2 months maybe more to get my new black rifle.

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Old 03-16-2010, 04:47 PM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
Just got off the phone with RRA. They are back ordered two months on the sale rifles. The sales rep told me they did not anticipate the kind of response they got to the sale.

I'm not impulsive but I don't want to wait 2 months maybe more to get my new black rifle.
Confusing-us says...."good things come to those who wait"