AR .223/5.56 to .22 Conversion kits
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

AR .223/5.56 to .22 Conversion kits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default AR .223/5.56 to .22 Conversion kits

Ok Fellas,
As most of you know I just completed my 1st AR build and I am completely stoked about it! I have seen so many .22 AR's out there and got to thinking I could get a conversion kit no need in having a dedicated AR just for .22!! So here are my questions!!

Where is a good place to find 1 at??
which costs the least.
which is the most reliable.
What kinda of accuracy you can i expect at 25/50 yards.
What's the best Bang for my Buck and yes pun intended lol

Thanks ahead of time!!

Brian

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #2

Liked 1151 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 2042

CMMG .22lr conversion kit , Their customer service is outstanding . Lifetime guarantee on the conversion BCG , Its not going to be as accurate as a dedicated .22lr barrel because the twist is at a much higher rate on the PSA barrels but this is a 60 yard 10 shot grouping using cheap winchester 555s .22 lr on a 3" dot . Expect to pay any where between $149-$179 for the kit with one mag . You dont really need the locking lug kit its more for looks than function in a .22lr .

AR .223/5.56 to .22 Conversion kits - AR-15 Discussion

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 09-18-2013 at 08:01 PM.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I'll take that grouping everyday and 2x's on Sunday anytime!! Havoc can you recommend a dealer for this??

Old 09-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #4

I have the stainless kit , but I dont think they make it in this style any more as it went to the Bravo style , no biggy though . Heres the link and its in stock . All marts on the CMMG kits are replaceable . I have over 6000 rounds thru my conversion . They arent real picky on ammo except they will not cycle subsonic ammo unless suppressed . I believe that kit listed below can be used for select fire also
This one is about as cheap as I could find
https://www.primaryarms.com/CMMG-ALPHA-22-LR-Conversion-Kit-25-Round-Magazine-p/cmmg22ba6fd.htm

Heres some decent mags at PSA . My buddy uses these and they work great

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/conversion-kits/x-form-ar15-22lr-25rd-magazine-with-nylon-feed-lips-xf-26sm-ny.html

Last edited by purehavoc; 09-18-2013 at 08:04 PM.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #5

The kit is well worth the money , I shot about 10000-12000 various rounds last year and this thing works perfect if you intend on doing scenerio drills . Such a money saver not having to shoot over priced 5.56 ammo to practice with

Old 09-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #6

Liked 340 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Great info Pure!

Due to EVEN MORE @$#%@#$%@ LAWS about to be passed, it looks as tho ALL CENTERFIRE, SEMI-AUTOMATIC, DETACHABLE MAGAZINE firearms will become "Assault Weapons" here in the state of Kommiefornia. Yes that means I would have to goto the local PD and get fingerprinted and apply for a $200 tax stamp. FML.

One work around I'm thinking of is to make all everything I own into a rimfire...... Now I think it wouldn't be so bad if I could SBR some of them, but the law also states that AW are non transferable, meaning after I pass, all my AWs will have to be surrendered for destruction and cannot be transferred to my heirs. FML

But if they are rimfires, its NO PROBLEM! @#$%@#$%@#$@$!@#$#@!$!%!#@$!@#.......

Old 09-18-2013, 11:26 PM   #7

Liked 210 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 128

I used to have the CMMG conversion bolt, and it fed fine with just about everything, after a few hundred round "break-in" period. It was plenty accurate for short range plinking, about 1" to 1 1/4' groups at 25 yards with ammo it liked. I kept telling myself I'd be better off with a dedicated .22 upper, then I'd have the proper bore diameter and twist, and the .22 bullet wouldn't have to make that 2" jump to the rifling. So I sold the conversion bolt and bought a CMMG upper a few months ago. It has fed reliably from the start, except for Federal Champions which it didn't like at all. I have an occasional failure to fire due to a light primer hit, but that is due to my lower having an aftermarket (CMC) trigger, not the fault of the CMMG upper. And that is mostly with some W-W Super -X ammo I have, it must have a slightly harder rim than other brands. There are some warnings about his happening with triggers that have a lighter hammer strike. When I am shooting 5.56mm ammo, the carbine has been 100% reliable using that trigger. Accuracy with the new upper doesn't seem to be notably more accurate with the several types of ammo I have, than the accuracy I was getting with the conversion bolt, but maybe I need to try some more brands. It shoots the best with CCI Mini-mags, Federal Auto Match shoot good as well.
dsc01406.jpg  

Old 09-19-2013, 01:05 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandog
I used to have the CMMG conversion bolt, and it fed fine with just about everything, after a few hundred round "break-in" period. It was plenty accurate for short range plinking, about 1" to 1 1/4' groups at 25 yards with ammo it liked. I kept telling myself I'd be better off with a dedicated .22 upper, then I'd have the proper bore diameter and twist, and the .22 bullet wouldn't have to make that 2" jump to the rifling. So I sold the conversion bolt and bought a CMMG upper a few months ago. It has fed reliably from the start, except for Federal Champions which it didn't like at all. I have an occasional failure to fire due to a light primer hit, but that is due to my lower having an aftermarket (CMC) trigger, not the fault of the CMMG upper. And that is mostly with some W-W Super -X ammo I have, it must have a slightly harder rim than other brands. There are some warnings about his happening with triggers that have a lighter hammer strike. When I am shooting 5.56mm ammo, the carbine has been 100% reliable using that trigger. Accuracy with the new upper doesn't seem to be notably more accurate with the several types of ammo I have, than the accuracy I was getting with the conversion bolt, but maybe I need to try some more brands. It shoots the best with CCI Mini-mags, Federal Auto Match shoot good as well.
What's the nice chunk of meat lying next to the killer AR??? Nice scope as well