AR-15 @ WAL-MART under 500bucks... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR-15 @ WAL-MART under 500bucks...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Just to clarify Windham is not the old Bushmaster. When Remington acquired Bushy it closed the Windham MA plant and fired the workers. The original founder of Bushmaster purchased the plant and rehired many of the workers. Windham now markets their own product in competition with Bushmaster. Unfortunately what they offer is the same generic, cookie cutter AR that Bushy does...nothing new or original yet. Time will tell whether the quality is on par or exceeds the crowd. For my money, I would leave that $499 AR at Walmart where it is and check out a brand with a known reputation. An extra couple hundred dollars may save you lots of aggrevation over inferior parts. It's not a bargain if you have to spend money to make it shoot reliably, JMHO.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #12

Liked 640 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 1914

I new it was something like that with old bushmaster workers.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #13

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

the bushy's i own are older ones,bought & traded over 8 years ago.never had one problem out of them

i dont know how good the new bushmasters are,the price sure are alot better.as i gave over 1200bucks for the xm-15 es2 post ban 8 years ago

you are right Jpyle,there isnt anything special about the bushy's/way over priced for what ya get!!!

i noticed wally world is also carrying the 556 sig rifles for 600bucks...they look super cheezy,but knowing that SIG name,the price should be alot more,unless SIG is going down hill like most other companys

Old 02-19-2012, 10:19 PM   #14

Liked 1012 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Wow, ive never seen a walmart carry an AR15 before

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 02-19-2012, 10:22 PM   #15

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

I was just at my Walmart looking at ammo but didn't see any ARs. I'll have to look closer next time. Never have seen one there so I doubt it.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #16

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I was just at my Walmart looking at ammo but didn't see any ARs. I'll have to look closer next time. Never have seen one there so I doubt it.
Quentin ,
Same deal here our wally world has tons of ammo but no guns at all. Their sporting goods guy says their coming but to be patient they got lotsa Walmart to fill yet

Old 02-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
Wow, ive never seen a walmart carry an AR15 before
Yup, the local wally's has the Sig and a Bushmaster, but only one of each on display, and PROMINENTLY DISPLAYED too. It got a double take and a stare out of me for sure. I've also had at least 3 or 4 friends text me all astonished to see AR's at the wally's. I don't know anybody who has bought one there yet, though. A redneck might be fine wearing wally's drawers and camo, but i'm not sure about wally's AR's.

The store did a remodel last year resulting in a MUCH better firearms counter and a half aisle of ammo, still behind glass but much easier to see. I always felt bad squinting to read the ammo boxes when they were behind the counter with the wide display counter (if he can't see, why is he buying ammo).

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #18

Liked 1012 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello

Yup, the local wally's has the Sig and a Bushmaster, but only one of each on display, and PROMINENTLY DISPLAYED too. It got a double take and a stare out of me for sure. I've also had at least 3 or 4 friends text me all astonished to see AR's at the wally's. I don't know anybody who has bought one there yet, though. A redneck might be fine wearing wally's drawers and camo, but i'm not sure about wally's AR's.

The store did a remodel last year resulting in a MUCH better firearms counter and a half aisle of ammo, still behind glass but much easier to see. I always felt bad squinting to read the ammo boxes when they were behind the counter with the wide display counter (if he can't see, why is he buying ammo).
I was told that walmart has contracts with most of the big brand manufactures that they carry. Was told that the products mirror the products from other retail stores, but are made cheaper and with cheaper materials so it meets walmarts price standards. Meaning that if you buy a Samsung series 6 LED tv, its made with cheaper parts than a Samsung series 6 LED tv sold at Best Buy. I dont know this for sure but ive always been leary about buying things from walmart like electronics or guns

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 02-20-2012, 10:57 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I don't know about most of their products, but i do remember reading that the briggs & stratton engines on their mowers were made "differently" just for wally's. I would not be suprised if other products were made "differently" too.

When you buy as much as wally's does, you can negotiate a lot more strongly. Vlassic pickles got into financial trouble with them by selling them the same product year after year with wally's chewing the price down a bit each year. I think it was the gallon size jar of whole pickles. http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:57 PM   #20

Liked 4986 Times on 2415 Posts
Likes Given: 1591

Code:
<<<@!2!@>>>
Quote:
Originally Posted by losack View Post
Most large big box companies have a particular manufacturer make a similar product that they sale in other venues but they use lesser quality parts such a plastics or even mim. So it may say Bushmaster or whatever but it won't be what you buy at the LGS.

Let the buyer beware!

This happens all the time in my industry. Someone sees a product like a ceiling fan or light fixture from Home BIg Box or wherever and it's 50.00 dollars cheaper but it's full of plastic parts.

What area of the country do you live in? I had read last week that Wal-Mart was making a push to get back into the firearms business. It's amazing how sells trends change a corporate mentality.

Sorry to rant!
Last December I was shopping for a specific knife. A CRKT Ripple designed by Ken Onion. Online prices were between $75 and $115. Wal Mart had it onsale for $30. A little research show the Wal Mart Ripple had some differences. Different steel in the blade, made in China VS Taiwan, and one less laser engraving on the blade. What drew me to this knife was the internal ball bearing system at the blades pivot point and I found an online video of a guy who disassembled the Wal Mart blade and it did have the same IKBS.

The steel type and China VS Taiwan did not matter to me so I saved a bunch of money and am happy with it but Losac is correct. Much of the supposed Name Brand stuff at these big box stores is NOT the same quality.

Buyer Beware

Tack