Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   AR-15 vs. AR-10 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar-15-vs-ar-10-a-16093/)

Jo da Plumbr 07-24-2009 04:56 PM

AR-15 vs. AR-10
 
I was thinking of putting a lower receiver in the safe for a future build. I was thinking of a .308 caliper. So would this be considered an AR-10? Are the two guns the same other than receiver, barrel, and buffer spring? Is the AR platform good for the .308 round?

Dillinger 07-24-2009 05:58 PM

Yes Jo, this would technically be an AR-10

The receivers are different, the bolt and bolthead is different. Barrel, obviously. Magazines, obviously.

They are basically the same gun, the assembly is the same, but the parts are bigger because of the space of the receiver.

I don't personally know, for example, if an AR-15 trigger would work in an AR-10 right off the top of my head, I have never had the need to try it. My guess is that it probably will not, because of the tolerances being different with the larger round.

I think the .308 chambered AR is a perfect battlefield weapon. I think it combines two really good ideas, the gas powered, accurate AR platform with a proven man stopper of a round. Much better than an AR-15 in a battlefield situation if you can get ammo. If you can't get ammo, well, then you have a very pricey walking stick. :p

JD

Jo da Plumbr 07-24-2009 06:02 PM

You have the pricy part right. The receiver is $389.00.

Of course that is an off list for us politically challenged Californians.

Also if the upper is sized for 7.62 then the rifle can shoot NATO or .308, correct?

slowryde45 07-24-2009 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr (Post 133761)
I was thinking of putting a lower receiver in the safe for a future build. I was thinking of a .308 caliper. So would this be considered an AR-10? Are the two guns the same other than receiver, barrel, and buffer spring? Is the AR platform good for the .308 round?

Jo,

Yes, on the AR10. Basically, they are the same in appearance, assembly, ergonomics, etc. But the parts kits will be a little different to hold up to the pressures and recoil of the larger round. Also the obvious things like magazines, bolt/carrier group, fire control group, will likewise be more stoudt.

Here's a link for you:

308 parts

Slo

RL357Mag 07-24-2009 08:08 PM

The AR-10 and it's cousins are stout versions of the AR-15. Nothiing is compatible between the two. Even the trigger group pins are beefier. If you want the best deal on an AR-10 style AR, check out this link. I have bought two LR308 18" bull barreled .308 AR's from them and they are the cheapest you'll find. I believe they are now $925, and they are capable of extreme accuracy out of the box.


Welcome to the RGUNS Internet Storefront

Jo da Plumbr 07-24-2009 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RL357Mag (Post 133903)
The AR-10 and it's cousins are stout versions of the AR-15. Nothiing is compatible between the two. Even the trigger group pins are beefier. If you want the best deal on an AR-10 style AR, check out this link. I have bought two LR308 18" bull barreled .308 AR's from them and they are the cheapest you'll find. I believe they are now $925, and they are capable of extreme accuracy out of the box.


Welcome to the RGUNS Internet Storefront

Thanks RL. It looks like all the complete rifles are DPMS. They are on the CA ban list. I saw some 7.62 X 39 lowers that I think were R gun manufactured and could be ok for CA.
It’s a drag having to deal with the stupid CA DOJ.

Dillinger 07-24-2009 10:21 PM

You need to move bro - I bet they need lots of plumbers in Vegas. They have more condos than anyone and you know those people don't work on their own stuff.... LOL

RL357Mag 07-25-2009 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr (Post 133927)
Thanks RL. It looks like all the complete rifles are DPMS. They are on the CA ban list. I saw some 7.62 X 39 lowers that I think were R gun manufactured and could be ok for CA.
It’s a drag having to deal with the stupid CA DOJ.

Damn that sucks! What is required on an AR in Ca? Or rather, what is not allowed?

Jo da Plumbr 07-25-2009 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RL357Mag (Post 134053)
Damn that sucks! What is required on an AR in Ca? Or rather, what is not allowed?

There is a ban list in Ca. that names ARs by manufacturer, ie Armalite, Colt, Panther, Rockriver. All the majors. So a SUR has to have a receiver that is not on the list. I built mine on a Doublestar lower. Here in CA we call them an OLL, for off list lower. Then you can use any parts kits or any upper assembly. I built with a CMMG LPK with a stag stock kit and a DPMS upper assembly.
The DOJ also lists “evil features” of the “assault weapon”. A centerfire rifle cannot have a detachable magazine if it has any of the following. Pistol grip, flash suppressor. collapsible stock, bayonet, silencer or grenade launcher. No sh1t they say no grenade launcher. Some people have these features on their rifles but put on what is called a bullet button. That is a magazine release that requires a bullet to operate the catch. If a tool has to be used to remove the magazine then it is considered non detachable. Just to be extra safe on my rifle I put the bullet button release and have none of the “Evil Features”
Welcome to the he11 that is my home.

RL357Mag 07-25-2009 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr (Post 134143)
There is a ban list in Ca. that names ARs by manufacturer, ie Armalite, Colt, Panther, Rockriver. All the majors. So a SUR has to have a receiver that is not on the list. I built mine on a Doublestar lower. Here in CA we call them an OLL, for off list lower. Then you can use any parts kits or any upper assembly. I built with a CMMG LPK with a stag stock kit and a DPMS upper assembly.
The DOJ also lists “evil features” of the “assault weapon”. A centerfire rifle cannot have a detachable magazine if it has any of the following. Pistol grip, flash suppressor. collapsible stock, bayonet, silencer or grenade launcher. No sh1t they say no grenade launcher. Some people have these features on their rifles but put on what is called a bullet button. That is a magazine release that requires a bullet to operate the catch. If a tool has to be used to remove the magazine then it is considered non detachable. Just to be extra safe on my rifle I put the bullet button release and have none of the “Evil Features”
Welcome to the he11 that is my home.


Damnit! That's INSANE!!! I wonder why certain lowers are acceptable and other's aren't? I guess it's easier for the affected manufacturer's to just say fu$k California, rather than to try and sue them on interstate commerce infringement. In NY we can't have a bayonet lug, flash suppressor, or grenade launcher...however my Yugo SKS has both a bayonet and a grenade launcher...I don't know what I would if I couldn't lob grenades or stab people....:rolleyes:


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:50 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.