Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR-15 Variable Power Scope Options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 03:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR-15 Variable Power Scope Options

Hello,
I'm new to this forum and to the AR world, so I apologize in advance for any ignorance in my questions.

I'm looking for ideas on variable power scopes to put on my AR. I'm thinking in the 1-4X range. I'd like something that would work for in-close out to 300 yds or so. It would be for general purpose target shooting but nothing competitive. As far as illuminated vs non-illuminated, I could use some advice if that's a "nice to have" or a "bell and whistle". Price range would be $400-500 maximum, including any necessary riser (it's a flat-top AR). I have flip-up BUIS, so I'm under the impression that I can co-witness them with the scope?

I have a Leupold VXII 3-9X40 on my 270 Win bolt-action rifle that I really like but I'd like something that would work closer in than that on the AR. I've looked at the Leupold Mark 4 QC/T online, but the objective is only 14mm... seems like it might be like looking through a soda straw... and it costs $900.

I've seen some previous discussions on the Horus Talon (reticle seems waaay to busy and $850) and the Millett DMS/PEPR (that big red donut reticle seems awfully big). Anyway, I'm looking for some useful suggestions. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-24-2010, 12:02 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You could go with a holographic sight (EOtech, Bushnell, or even an Aimpoint) with a magnifier behind it on a QD latch or flip-to-side mount.

I carry a 1 inch guardrail nut on a loop of 550 cord. Its not whiz-bang tactical, but one shot to the grape, and its coloring books for Christmas.

Advocate For Armed America Because Your Attorney Can Get You Out Of Jail, Not Out Of A Grave.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:08 PM   #3

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Okay, THAT option is going to put him WAY over his budget!

Old 03-24-2010, 12:42 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Not if he went with like a 511 or 512 ($325-$350) and a Primary Arms 3x or 5x magnifier with QD mount already on it ($100-$140) all give or take. These can be found used at these prices.

I carry a 1 inch guardrail nut on a loop of 550 cord. Its not whiz-bang tactical, but one shot to the grape, and its coloring books for Christmas.

Advocate For Armed America Because Your Attorney Can Get You Out Of Jail, Not Out Of A Grave.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:49 PM   #5

I don't see the 511 any more and the lowest price I've seen for the 512 is $405. May be different where you are. But that's pretty well taken care of his $500 budget, leaving about $100 for the QD mount, which is not much for a good one.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:37 PM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

OK your looking for a gp optical sight for your AR.

General plinking at the range can be satified but many optics. I am sure you don't want a scope mine what I have hanging out on top of my AR (Nikon Monarch 6-24x50mm). A 1-4x will give you a great FOV at 100 yards. But will really hinder your shooting past 100 yards.

I would say go with a nice 2-7, 3-9, 4-12x scope in your price range you can get some great optics in that power range. I would look at SWFA tactical Rings or Burris. and forget the riser. Tall rings will get you where you need to be as far as height of optics. You want them about 1" to 1.5" off hand guard. give or take.

Try optics planet Great people to deal with.

Here is a set up Burris rings and a Sightron SII Big Sky 3.5-10x40mm $500.79 I know I blew your budget but I think .79 cents wasn't to bad.

Here is another set up that saves you some money. A Nikon 223 scope designed for the AR-15 and the burris rings.

Last edited by cpttango30; 03-24-2010 at 02:40 PM.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:43 PM   #7

Tango knows of what he speaks....and if you want to go that route, I have a set of the Burris Xtreme Tactical rings in "high" (3/4 inch) that are too high for my Rem700 that I could let go for a really good price.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:53 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is an example of what im talking about.

EOtech AR15.com CLASSIFIEDS - EoTech 511.A65

Magnifier AIMPOINT 3X MAGNIFYER CLONE - AR15.COM

Youd have less than $400 in quality stuff. These can be found daily. Just sayin

Old 03-25-2010, 03:44 AM   #9

Tango... Thanks for your suggestions. I'll take a look at the Nikon option. I've been looking on SWFA, but there are so many manufacturers there that it's a bit overwhelming. Hence my post.

Brad... I had considered an EOTech/Magnifier option but thought maybe it was a bit complex; i.e. two pieces versus one. I haven't completely ruled it out and had not considered trying to buy it used. That's something I need to consider.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:12 AM   #10

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I am a big nikon fan. I love them I also like Bushnell elite scopes as well.

Burris are also good scopes as well as many others. I would stay away from Leupolds VX-II and lower line of scopes.

Also take a look at Weaver you can get a good quality scope for not a lot of money with a Weaver.

If you spent $300 or so on a scope you could go with the Leupold rings that are thiner than the Burris SWFA rings.