AR 15 under 700? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR 15 under 700?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 03:33 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

The Del Ton kit comes with lower receiver parts, stock and, depending on which package you purchase, iron sights. Everything but the stripped lower. Check it out >> Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 Rifle Kits - 16"

Last edited by mark1616; 12-27-2011 at 03:36 AM.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #12

Liked 1001 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
One thing to consider! You get what you pay for! If you want a bargain basement price you get a bottom basement AR! There are a lot of ways manufacturers can trim cost. That is to trim quality and parts. I personally, if I am going to expect the weapon to last I want one of good quality. So with that said even if you build one yourself of top quality parts are looking at the $750.00 and above category. And with spending my hard earned money I do not expect to have problems with something I purchased and want good quality because I expect it to last. For example, there is a big difference in quality between a cast receiver and a good forged receiver of T-6 7075 aluminum,. A cast front sight and a forged front sight. The same is true with other parts in the AR. They can substitute cheap parts and sell for less or they can assemble good quality parts. Some look the same on the surface but are not when it comes to durability, specifications and quality. Some say and AR is an AR "Not true if you know how some are manufactured! The old saying apples to apples or comparing apples to oranges! So choose the best you can get for the money but buy quality. If you have to save for a while to get what you need and want, it will be well worth it in the long run!

Excellent advice above! I agree with the $750 figure, once you drop under that for the basic rifle (excluding really good sales) quality begins to suffer. You'll soon forget the extra $150 or so if you made wise decisions but you'll never forget a $600 stinker.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:10 PM   #13
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

In my (short) time shopping around i have found DPMS makes a good looking AR for around the 650-700 range....but then you have to put sights/optics on it. I also want a quad rail hand guard so that jumps the price a bit more as well.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 12-27-2011, 03:30 PM   #14

Liked 1001 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

"good looking" but how about function?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:44 PM   #15
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"good looking" but how about function?
havent read anything terrible about them to this point.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f53/dpms-panther-sportical-oracle-570-shipped-54220/

The oracle is the one i have been looking at closely...seems to have the same parts and specs as the higher priced ones.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 12-27-2011, 03:48 PM   #16

Liked 1129 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 2017

So far so good on my Palmetto State AR, great shooting gun so far but I havent ran that many rounds thru it to give it a 100% run down , fit and finish is excellent , Ramps look great , $629 shipped to my FFL dealer that charged me $10 for the transfer . now take in to consideration your going to need to purchase a rear sight or use a scope so now your going to add at the minimum another $55 for a rear .
That should still bring you in under $700 , Would I like to have had a higher end gun , YUP!!!!! Daniel Defense, Colt and HK come to mind but I bought what I could afford right now and so far Im very pleased with it , Enough to buy a lower from them to get started on another one

Old 12-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #17

From what I can gather given more research, and the quality help from you guys, I'm looking into the delton m4 kit. Is have to get a lower, but that's not a problem. The site allows me to customize the stock and grips, etc. My only concern is if I could actually safely put it together myself. Has anyone ever done something like this before?

Old 12-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
So far so good on my Palmetto State AR, great shooting gun so far but I havent ran that many rounds thru it to give it a 100% run down , fit and finish is excellent , Ramps look great , $629 shipped to my FFL dealer that charged me $10 for the transfer . now take in to consideration your going to need to purchase a rear sight or use a scope so now your going to add at the minimum another $55 for a rear .
That should still bring you in under $700 , Would I like to have had a higher end gun , YUP!!!!! Daniel Defense, Colt and HK come to mind but I bought what I could afford right now and so far Im very pleased with it , Enough to buy a lower from them to get started on another one
Exactly!! Haha, is love to buy a colt, or bushmaster. I'm just not in the market for one right now. Sure I could wait a little longer and save another 500-700$, but I don't want to spend that much yet. Gotta love "budget rifles".

Old 12-27-2011, 04:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbruins37 View Post
From what I can gather given more research, and the quality help from you guys, I'm looking into the delton m4 kit. Is have to get a lower, but that's not a problem. The site allows me to customize the stock and grips, etc. My only concern is if I could actually safely put it together myself. Has anyone ever done something like this before?
I have. I bought the m4 kit as well, adding the chrome-lined 1/7 twist barrel, and low profile gas block. There are detailed instructions at the ar-15 forum, and also on you tube. I waited to build it until I had a magazine and a snap cap so I could do function tests as I went. It took me less than an hour to complete. The only problem I had was not properly lubing the bolt carrier assembly, which was an easy fix. I have put about 1,500 rounds through it since, with no issues.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
havent read anything terrible about them to this point.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f53/dpms-panther-sportical-oracle-570-shipped-54220/

The oracle is the one i have been looking at closely...seems to have the same parts and specs as the higher priced ones.
It's not hard to find someone w/ something bad to say about DPMS. There are probably quite a few here on this site. I can remember a couple in the last week alone.

I just got back from Gander Mountain who sells DPMS. I tried out their shooting range and was informed by one of the employees that in the 2 days he had worked there he has seen 2 rifles go down. One was a DPMS that decided to become select fire.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."