Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR-15 Troubleshooting ...?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default AR-15 Troubleshooting ...?

I have a Spikes lower that will sometimes lock up....not allow a follow-up shot.

I'll try to explain...... when the trigger is pulled and held back, the hammer is not allowed to set into fire position until the trigger is released and allowed to reset.... this is normal. But sometimes the hammer does not reset when the trigger is released. What is hanging up...and what to do about it?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-20-2012, 10:27 PM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Can you replicate the condition while dry firing? What is the hammer hanging on? What have you done to clear the malfunction.....you said sometimes? I can't see it from here?!?!

Old 06-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1798 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Tim,

It is normal after the round is fired if the operator still holds the trigger to the rear. The Disconector will not release the hammer to go all the way forward to engage the sear area of the Hammer and Trigger and ready the next shot. As you stated that is a normal thing. I am not all that clear on your explanation on the second part. Please explain it more in detail if you would and maybe some photos of the inside of your receiver including the Hammer, Hammer Spring, Trigger and Trigger Spring as it is installed in the receiver.
The other issue we are having today that locks up the Hammer and does not allow it to transfer forward after the shot is Primers or Debris being present in the Disconector area of the Trigger. In these cases the shooter has been shooting and all of a sudden the rifle will not fire. The safety is in the OFF position but the Trigger will still not pull to fire the next round. And the Safety will also not go on.
Sorry, I am just not clear on the second part if I have not touched on it with my comments. Just let us here know more detail!
Lastly what kind of a complete upper assembly do you have. One thing you can try and to check out for a quick solution, (Is my gut feeling,) if it is a parts gun and you have access to another trigger and hammer. I would simply change the Trigger and Hammer set out! A lot of times anymore it is nothing more than a tolerance problem? And is an easy fix!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

EagleSix Likes This 
Old 06-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #4

I can NOT replicate the hang-up while dry firing, and If I could see what's hanging up, I probably wouldn't be asking the question.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimKS View Post
I have a Spikes lower that will sometimes lock up....not allow a follow-up shot.

I'll try to explain...... when the trigger is pulled and held back, the hammer is not allowed to set into fire position until the trigger is released and allowed to reset.... this is normal. But sometimes the hammer does not reset when the trigger is released. What is hanging up...and what to do about it?
Quote:
I can NOT replicate the hang-up while dry firing, and If I could see what's hanging up, I probably wouldn't be asking the question.
...OK, that was funny.....

OK...let's pull some teeth, so to speak!!! You know how to fire and reset the trigger....correct? So, are you saying, sometimes, when you release pressure on the trigger, you do not hear the hammer/sear reset and engage......correct? So, what happens then? What have you done to start shooting again?

Old 06-20-2012, 11:40 PM   #6

Okay.....I fire a shot, but when I release the trigger I do NOT hear the hammer / sear reset. When I try to pull the trigger, it doesn't move...it's like the safety is on. The bolt has rechambered a round and ready to shoot, but the trigger will not move.

If I start to move the safety selector towards the "safe" position, the hammer will then click & reset. Then I can pull the trigger and fire the next round. Clear as mud?

Old 06-20-2012, 11:47 PM   #7

BTW.....I'm considering dropping a Timney Trigger assembly into it, but I would like to know the problem first.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:05 AM   #8

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Sounds like the bolt traveling back against the disconnector is driving it back into the safe selector cam where it is binding. The movement of the switch is jostling it free. Have you checked that the proper spring is installed under the disconnector, the legs of both the trigger and hammer springs are properly seated and that the safety selector switch is installed correctly.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

EagleSix Likes This 
Old 06-21-2012, 12:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Okay.....I fire a shot, but when I release the trigger I do NOT hear the hammer / sear reset. When I try to pull the trigger, it doesn't move...it's like the safety is on. The bolt has rechambered a round and ready to shoot, but the trigger will not move.

If I start to move the safety selector towards the "safe" position, the hammer will then click & reset. Then I can pull the trigger and fire the next round. Clear as mud?
OK, sounds like Sniper03 has you going in the right direction to find the fix.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
The other issue we are having today that locks up the Hammer and does not allow it to transfer forward after the shot is Primers or Debris being present in the Disconector area of the Trigger. In these cases the shooter has been shooting and all of a sudden the rifle will not fire.~~~~~Lastly what kind of a complete upper assembly do you have. One thing you can try and to check out for a quick solution, (Is my gut feeling,) if it is a parts gun and you have access to another trigger and hammer. I would simply change the Trigger and Hammer set out! A lot of times anymore it is nothing more than a tolerance problem? And is an easy fix!
If there is a primer or other debris rattling around under the trigger group, it can often be difficult to detect and difficult to clean out without removing the trigger group. That is really the quick and easy fix. By removing the trigger group you get down to a cavity without parts and easy to clean out what doesn't belong. By the way this area need no lubrication and is normally left dry. A little lube is used on the metal to metal rubbing parts of the trigger, hammer and sear pins. If you have another lower or parts kit, or are familiar with the part in the trigger group, inspecting removed should identify any possible broken corners, edges, etc.....not likely but possible. If you are familiar or have a trigger group do compare, most likely you are going to find debris in the trigger group cavity and/or a difference in parts, springs, fit, etc.

I would remove the trigger group clean things up and go from there......

Old 06-21-2012, 12:17 AM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1798 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Tim,

That confirms it! That is if you do not have anything under the disconnector like a primer that has popped out of a casing. Also you may want to be sure the Disconnector Spring is in the Trigger Correctly. The Large Coil of the Disconector spring goes into the trigger housing first. If it is reversed it will not let the Disconnector go down. If it is installed correctly you need to *Change Out the Trigger and the Hammer as I stated earlier due to a tolerance problems. This is not an abnormal problem especialy if it is an AR that someone has built from various parts and kits. I am betting the exchange of the trigger and hammer will solve the problem if it isn't the disconnector spring situation as mentioned above. Let us know! It should solve your problem.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy