Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   AR-15 Troubleshooting ...? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar-15-troubleshooting-66799/)

TimKS 06-20-2012 08:07 PM

AR-15 Troubleshooting ...?

I have a Spikes lower that will sometimes lock up....not allow a follow-up shot.

I'll try to explain...... when the trigger is pulled and held back, the hammer is not allowed to set into fire position until the trigger is released and allowed to reset.... this is normal. But sometimes the hammer does not reset when the trigger is released. What is hanging up...and what to do about it?

EagleSix 06-20-2012 10:27 PM

Can you replicate the condition while dry firing? What is the hammer hanging on? What have you done to clear the malfunction.....you said sometimes? I can't see it from here?!?!

Sniper03 06-20-2012 10:30 PM

Tim,

It is normal after the round is fired if the operator still holds the trigger to the rear. The Disconector will not release the hammer to go all the way forward to engage the sear area of the Hammer and Trigger and ready the next shot. As you stated that is a normal thing. I am not all that clear on your explanation on the second part. Please explain it more in detail if you would and maybe some photos of the inside of your receiver including the Hammer, Hammer Spring, Trigger and Trigger Spring as it is installed in the receiver.
The other issue we are having today that locks up the Hammer and does not allow it to transfer forward after the shot is Primers or Debris being present in the Disconector area of the Trigger. In these cases the shooter has been shooting and all of a sudden the rifle will not fire. The safety is in the OFF position but the Trigger will still not pull to fire the next round. And the Safety will also not go on.
Sorry, I am just not clear on the second part if I have not touched on it with my comments. Just let us here know more detail!
Lastly what kind of a complete upper assembly do you have. One thing you can try and to check out for a quick solution, (Is my gut feeling,) if it is a parts gun and you have access to another trigger and hammer. I would simply change the Trigger and Hammer set out! A lot of times anymore it is nothing more than a tolerance problem? And is an easy fix!

TimKS 06-20-2012 10:34 PM

I can NOT replicate the hang-up while dry firing, and If I could see what's hanging up, I probably wouldn't be asking the question. :confused:

EagleSix 06-20-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimKS (Post 843437)
I have a Spikes lower that will sometimes lock up....not allow a follow-up shot.

I'll try to explain...... when the trigger is pulled and held back, the hammer is not allowed to set into fire position until the trigger is released and allowed to reset.... this is normal. But sometimes the hammer does not reset when the trigger is released. What is hanging up...and what to do about it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimKS (Post 843571)
I can NOT replicate the hang-up while dry firing, and If I could see what's hanging up, I probably wouldn't be asking the question. :confused:

...OK, that was funny.....

OK...let's pull some teeth, so to speak!!! You know how to fire and reset the trigger....correct? So, are you saying, sometimes, when you release pressure on the trigger, you do not hear the hammer/sear reset and engage......correct? So, what happens then? What have you done to start shooting again?

TimKS 06-20-2012 11:40 PM

Okay.....I fire a shot, but when I release the trigger I do NOT hear the hammer / sear reset. When I try to pull the trigger, it doesn't move...it's like the safety is on. The bolt has rechambered a round and ready to shoot, but the trigger will not move.

If I start to move the safety selector towards the "safe" position, the hammer will then click & reset. Then I can pull the trigger and fire the next round. Clear as mud? :)

TimKS 06-20-2012 11:47 PM

BTW.....I'm considering dropping a Timney Trigger assembly into it, but I would like to know the problem first.

Jpyle 06-21-2012 12:05 AM

Sounds like the bolt traveling back against the disconnector is driving it back into the safe selector cam where it is binding. The movement of the switch is jostling it free. Have you checked that the proper spring is installed under the disconnector, the legs of both the trigger and hammer springs are properly seated and that the safety selector switch is installed correctly.

EagleSix 06-21-2012 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimKS (Post 843654)
Okay.....I fire a shot, but when I release the trigger I do NOT hear the hammer / sear reset. When I try to pull the trigger, it doesn't move...it's like the safety is on. The bolt has rechambered a round and ready to shoot, but the trigger will not move.

If I start to move the safety selector towards the "safe" position, the hammer will then click & reset. Then I can pull the trigger and fire the next round. Clear as mud? :)

OK, sounds like Sniper03 has you going in the right direction to find the fix.......

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper03 (Post 843565)
The other issue we are having today that locks up the Hammer and does not allow it to transfer forward after the shot is Primers or Debris being present in the Disconector area of the Trigger. In these cases the shooter has been shooting and all of a sudden the rifle will not fire.~~~~~Lastly what kind of a complete upper assembly do you have. One thing you can try and to check out for a quick solution, (Is my gut feeling,) if it is a parts gun and you have access to another trigger and hammer. I would simply change the Trigger and Hammer set out! A lot of times anymore it is nothing more than a tolerance problem? And is an easy fix!

If there is a primer or other debris rattling around under the trigger group, it can often be difficult to detect and difficult to clean out without removing the trigger group. That is really the quick and easy fix. By removing the trigger group you get down to a cavity without parts and easy to clean out what doesn't belong. By the way this area need no lubrication and is normally left dry. A little lube is used on the metal to metal rubbing parts of the trigger, hammer and sear pins. If you have another lower or parts kit, or are familiar with the part in the trigger group, inspecting removed should identify any possible broken corners, edges, etc.....not likely but possible. If you are familiar or have a trigger group do compare, most likely you are going to find debris in the trigger group cavity and/or a difference in parts, springs, fit, etc.

I would remove the trigger group clean things up and go from there......

Sniper03 06-21-2012 12:17 AM

Tim,

That confirms it! That is if you do not have anything under the disconnector like a primer that has popped out of a casing. Also you may want to be sure the Disconnector Spring is in the Trigger Correctly. The Large Coil of the Disconector spring goes into the trigger housing first. If it is reversed it will not let the Disconnector go down. If it is installed correctly you need to *Change Out the Trigger and the Hammer as I stated earlier due to a tolerance problems. This is not an abnormal problem especialy if it is an AR that someone has built from various parts and kits. I am betting the exchange of the trigger and hammer will solve the problem if it isn't the disconnector spring situation as mentioned above. Let us know! It should solve your problem. :D