AR-15 Scopes
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR-15 Scopes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2008, 07:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR-15 Scopes

Can anyone recommend a good scope for the AR-15. It should be mounted to the top handle. I have looked at some inexpensive scopes on opticstore.com. Specifically, the SECAQ342R, SEERAQ430R, and SEECRAQ342R. Price ranges from $79.99 to $119.99.

I'm not sure about the quality of the optics.

I would appreciate any feedback on these scopes and/or recommendations.

J R

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-07-2008, 09:02 PM   #2

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Default Scope suggestion

I have a Simmons, 3-9x32 that I just mounted on my AR-15A2 yesterday, haven't sighted it in yet. I've had this scope for about 4 years now and it was mounted on my Savage .22LR semiauto rifle. It was pretty accurate on my .22, I don't know a lot about scopes but I know I could hit a dime at about 100 yards easy. That's with cheap Remington ammunition. I got it at a local gunstore for $50 and originally bought it for my SKS and gave up trying to hit anything with a scoped SKS.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 08-08-2008, 12:19 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

These are really nice and designed specifically to sit up on top of the sight rail: http://www.leupold.com/tactical/products/scopes/mark-4-cqt-riflescopes/mark-4-1-3x14mm-cqt/

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:21 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdar15 View Post
Can anyone recommend a good scope for the AR-15. It should be mounted to the top handle. I have looked at some inexpensive scopes on opticstore.com. Specifically, the SECAQ342R, SEERAQ430R, and SEECRAQ342R. Price ranges from $79.99 to $119.99.

J R
J R,

You can find a handle mounted rail fairly inexpensive, like:

http://www.csgunworks.com/product_frames/imagepopup.cfm?pic=3175

As for a scope, what kind of shooting will you be doing the most? Target, varmint, plinking, etc.? The reason I ask is to limit the number of choices that are out there to something that might work best for you. Also, you mention a price range of the ones you looked at, is that the range you want to stay in? Minimum price/maximum price? Red dot, cross-hairs, illuminated/non-illuminated? A couple sites to check out:

http://www.swfa.com/

http://www.theopticzone.com/

http://www.natchezss.com/optics.cfm?category=20

There are quite a few more, but those are some I've dealt with before with decent results. You might also try Sportsman's Guide and Cheaper Than Dirt. They both have some very affordable optics, too.

You can find Simmons, Bushnell, Tasco, etc. in 2 or 3-9x power, for less than $100, and they would serve you well, too. One style I do like and would recommend to anyone is to find one in the 1-4x power, such as the Millet.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-10714-1395-millett-1-4x24-dms-tactical-30mm-riflescope.aspx

It is an illuminated optic, works great for short to medium long distance, light weight, small. Price wise, it would cost a little more than the ones you are looking at though. You can probably find them on sale for around $200. The one that matt g is recommending is an excellent scope, too, as is anything from Leupold. But know that you will be paying for the quality.

Hope this helps.
Slo

Last edited by slowryde45; 08-08-2008 at 01:31 AM.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:24 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

That's the problem with asking such a vague question. You'll get a very broad range of answers.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:05 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 206 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 12

How are you going to use the rifle? (plinking, competition, long range etc.) A scope
for 3 gun competition will not be the same scope as you would want for popping
prairie dogs W-A-Y out there.

How much money do you want to spend on a scope? Range for a decent scope is
$60 (really) to darned near $3000.

Any features that you just can't live without? MilDot? BDC? Illuminated reticle?

Bill

Old 08-08-2008, 12:23 PM   #7

I want to do some target shooting with the intention of doing some comp shooting down the road. As far as costs, I know that there are some good "cheap" scopes and yet you can spend lots of $$$$ if you wish. I probably would not spend more then $200. I'm not interested in any red dot scopes as I have them on my comp pistols and during the day, they are difficult to see.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:57 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 206 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
I want to do some target shooting with the intention of doing some comp shooting down the road. As far as costs, I know that there are some good "cheap" scopes and yet you can spend lots of $$$$ if you wish. I probably would not spend more then $200. I'm not interested in any red dot scopes as I have them on my comp pistols and during the day, they are difficult to see.

Competition shooting to me is USPSA or IMGA Multi-Gun. Low power
variable scopes with a good field of view.

Least expensive---Simmons Pro Diamond 1.5x5 Not the best reticle
for fine target work, and I can't seem to deal with both eyes open
at 1.5x. It's on a backup gun.

Next up-----Weaver V3. True 1x, fast up close, wish it had 4x on
the top end. I've been running one on a light AR for a couple of years,
no problems.

Right at your $200----Millett DMS-1. Meopta Meostar wannabe. Circle-dot
reticle. Some QC issues but Millett stands behind them. Heavier than the others, 30mm tube. I like it so far, but really haven't got much time on it.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:09 AM   #9

Quote:

J R
Sure hope they don't delete your thread because I posted on it...
They don't like it when you disagree with two or three guys around here...
--------------------------------

Anyway,
APPLICATION, APPLICATION, APPLICATION...

What is the 'Scope' for?
(actually, it's a 'Telescopic Sight')

Do you intend to hunt?
If so, you want something with a reasonably large objective lenses that will collect a lot of light when it's overcast or close to dark...

Hunting 'Scopes' should be broken into two classifications,
Stalking hunting, where you don't have much time to mess with knobs and adjustments,
And,
Ambush hunting, like Prairie Dog hunting where you sit for a long time around a colony of known range and you have time to fine tune you optics for the next shot.

Anyway, Stalking hunting should be an optic with LOW and COVERED adjustments to protect the zero from getting moved.
It should probably be a single power, or if it's 'Zoom' not more than about 6 power tops so you can see at reasonable ranges without messing with adjusters.

If you are target shooting, as in just 'Plinking', an adjustable 'Zoom' (magnification) and adjustable paralax wouldn't be a bad thing.
You still don't need the big target or 'Tactical' knobs since you aren't going to be swinging on the zero for plinking.

If you are doing some SERIOUS target shooting, then target knobs might be in order, since serious target shooters don't change distances of the targets very often...

Stay away from things like 'Tactical' or 'Mildot'...
That is code for 'We are looking for idiots to pay WAY Too much for this thing!'

If you are looking for integrated optics and mounts to mount on the handle...
Your options are VERY limited. Usually 4X or less and horrible light collection, most of them are made in 'China' and the optics and workmanship are HORRIBLE!

I have to agree with the guys saying 'Simmons'...
I have a 4x16 on a .223 gopher gun that really gets the job done!
I won it at a outdoor club meeting, I would have never purchased it otherwise, but now that I've tried it, I like it!
Retail on it was like $119 when I got it, so it's very reasonably priced.

One of the BEST things you can do for optics is use a spirit level when you shoot. It will teach you how to hold the rifle to keep the optics directly over the bore.
Speaking of plumb with the bore, make sure your optics are EXACTLY Plumb with the bore before you mount them solid!
A canted 'Scope' is an infuriating missing machine!

Last edited by AR Hammer; 08-20-2008 at 07:19 AM.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:07 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:

J R

Stay away from cheap NCStar scopes that mount on AR-15 handles. Especially the mil-dot variety. The reticles are so thick and the mil-dots so big they actually obscure a 100yd. target. I tried one, and aside from the lousyy reticle, the scope was canted when mounted on the handle - there is no way to correct this because the mounting bracket is screwed into the scope body - they drilled and tapped the holes a few degrees off. Nice quality control!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Closed Thread