Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   AR-15 scope rings? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar-15-scope-rings-92199/)

sweeper22 06-12-2013 04:28 PM

AR-15 scope rings?

I'm just finishing up my 'range' rifle, intended primarily for tighter groups in the 100-250yd range. Basically it's a $1500 gun designed to be relatively compact, light, and precise at all parts of 25-300yds, and competent enough for a couple hundred yards more. The build consists of an STS lower with Magpul ACS LBK (Hypertouch trigger), BCM 16" 1:8 SS ML upper, Ranier Raptor CH, STS microslicked M16 BCG, and a Nikon 2-7x32 scope.

My only remaining purchase is the scope rings. Any reason not to go with the affordable and locally available Weavers? I'd appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.

Triumphman 06-12-2013 05:34 PM

If Weaver is your ticket, look for either the Quad-Lok or Grand Slam type. They'll give you the best clamp force to hold that Scope solid.
Quad-Loks are Aluminum with Steel hoops, while the Grand Slam Rings is an All Steel.
These are in my opinion the 2 best style Weaver Rings made nowadays and are easily available at most any local WalMart.
I use these on virtually all my Rifles with very good Killing and Target Results.

If however, you find some Burris Signature Zee Rings, you can't go wrong either, because you can purchase "degree" inserts to re-align that Scope to the Barrel if anything is off.
Del

JonM 06-12-2013 05:38 PM

Weaver makes decent rings nothing really great but decent. Some designs can be a little difficult to zero if your not used to them. Weaver rails arent the same thing as picatinny rails. The slot size is different and can be troublesome to keep secure.

If you go weaver or whatever make sure your getting rings that work well with picatinny rails

Sniper03 06-12-2013 05:44 PM

sweeper,

One consideration you may not be aware of is on the AR Rifle normally you need a base and scope ring set up that moves the Scope forward slightly. This because if you just mount the rings on the flat top on the receiver a lot of times you can not push the scope forward far enough to get the proper eye relief needed. The Flat top is to short and the Elevation Turret on top of the scope hits the rear of the front ring before it can be moved far enough forward into the proper place. You can shoot without it but you will be what I call goose necking and it will be impossible to shoot in the prone position. The mounts we are speaking about just for an example, is a unit like the Rock River Scope Mount Part #AR0130 or AR0130T. Which includes the base and rings in one integral piece. There are other companies that make them also. I am assuming that your scope is a 1" Scope Tube with the part numbers given. You can also remove this unit with the scope still mounted should you want to go to irons or other optics. And then simply mount the whole assembly back on tweak it (Check Zero) and you are back where you started from with little difficulty! They do have them for 30MM tubes as well. Lets see some pictures of your build!:)

CGS 06-13-2013 12:51 PM

I really prefer 1 piece scope mounts. There are several solid setups on the market. Sure they will add a couple ounces vs using 2 piece rings but I think they provide a more rock solid setup. Most are cantilever so you can have your scope mounted strictly on the upper receiver and not on the float tube/hand guard which can affect accuracy.

sweeper22 06-13-2013 04:03 PM

I'm kinda leaning toward Sniper03's RRA recommendation. It's a little hard to stomach at the moment, but that's probably where I end up.

I believe in the quality of RRA products, yet I've been personally disappointed by their lackluster (and that's being very generous) customer service. Their products (from my experience) are generally quite good, but often heavy. Weight is not big deal here, nor would I consider the weight of a scope mount to actually matter much in the grand scheme of things. Minimal weight differential, and that weight is pretty well centered on the rifle. I just don't love the idea of buying products from a company that has pulled one over on me once already.

I'll get a pic up when it's complete. That might be three days or three weeks. But it'll be done shortly. I appreciate the suggestions.

CGS 06-13-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweeper22 (Post 1275401)
I'm kinda leaning toward Sniper03's RRA recommendation. It's a little hard to stomach at the moment, but that's probably where I end up.

I believe in the quality of RRA products, yet I've been personally disappointed by their lackluster (and that's being very generous) customer service. Their products (from my experience) are generally quite good, but often heavy. Weight is not big deal here, nor would I consider the weight of a scope mount to actually matter much in the grand scheme of things. Minimal weight differential, and that weight is pretty well centered on the rifle. I just don't love the idea of buying products from a company that has pulled one over on me once already.

I'll get a pic up when it's complete. That might be three days or three weeks. But it'll be done shortly. I appreciate the suggestions.

A scope mount like the RRA sniper mentioned is exactly what I was mentioning. It IS the way to go. If you want to pick one up let me know, I have a brand new 1" and 30mm. I ended up going with an Aim Sports MTCR30 for my setup because it was slightly lighter and had extra rail space on the rings if you wanted to put on a miniature red dot or something similar ontop of your scope.

AgentTikki 06-13-2013 05:03 PM

I understand your adversion to RRA.

When looking for a mount for my scope I found this resource.

Hope this helps you.

It has both lower and higher priced models. Clink on the link....I promise it won't send you to a ghey pron hill billy site. :rolleyes: