Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR-15 scope question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 985 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 1778

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnev View Post
Mountain Man,
If you look on the first page 1 poster said he never paid more than $100 for a scope.

" I have a 1 in 7 twist barrel on my AR. I am running a Simmons 3-9 x 40. It says 8-Point on it. I don't remember where I got it. But I have never spent more than $100 on a scope. I can shoot 100 yard 3 shot groups with the holes touching each other. It can't be too bad."

Another posted, "But the other issue is if you are looking for a quality quick disconect scope mount for the full sized scope you are looking there around $199.00. Then if you buy a good scope for around $300 you are goiing to have right at $500 anyway."

While I don't dispute you can't get a scope for $100-$300 that will last for a while if not subject to heavy use or put on hard recoiling rifle I just have seen to many lower priced scope fail or have horrible resolution, so bad you could not see 22 caliber holes @ 100 yards, or have such horrible tracking that zeroing in was next to impossible or have the reticle fall apart or rotate the first time out to the range. That is why I was disagreeing with buying a low priced scope. I have heard some shooters who have has lower priced scopes and have had good luck with them. There is always the exception to the rule you get what you pay for in an optic.
Talk to the guys on snipershide.com who are mostly experienced dedicated long range precision shooters and see what they have to say about putting a low priced scope on any rifle.
The problem with putting a really cheap scope on a AR is they arent like most rifles, you not only have the recoil of the gun but you have the BCG slamming back and forth . Most cheap scopes cant take that kind of beating. I have found this out myself more than once.

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 09-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #32

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Just wanted to give an update, I settled on a scope and purchased it and a mount last night from the LGS.

I picked up a Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35 with a deadhold BDC, between the warranty, and the price($165) I felt like it was a solid purchase. I know it is not the best out there, but I am going to be spending more on the binoculars as those will probably be what I spend most of my time looking through. I also picked up a Leupold mount that sits nicely on my flat top.

I do pick up a bit of the front sight at 2 and 3 power, but beyond that I dont see it at all. I am going to start looking into replacing the front sight with a flip as well. One thing I noticed last night after they mounted it was that at the lowest power I could actually sight through it pretty well with both eyes open, similar to a red dot.

Anyway I am heading out Saturday to get it all sighted in. I will probably sight it at 50 yards, since, when hunting I really dont plan on taking shots past 200yds.

Thanks again everyone for all the advice and information!

Ashton

Old 09-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #33
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4483 Times on 2365 Posts
Likes Given: 255

vortex make superb lower end scopes and some pretty damn nice higher end ones too. nice choice.

their warranty is outstanding and they honor it with no questions or issues.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-11-2013, 04:23 PM   #34

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
vortex make superb lower end scopes and some pretty damn nice higher end ones too. nice choice.

their warranty is outstanding and they honor it with no questions or issues.

Thanks Jon, mostly I was drawn to it for the price, it was almost $100 off of suggested retail!! My LGS really does have great prices, I dont know how he stays in business, a few months ago I bought my 1911 from them, a Ruger SR 1911 Commander, out the door for under $650!

Old 09-11-2013, 04:42 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 985 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 1778

You picked out a good scope for your rifle , As far as lower priced scopes go Vortex is on the top of that list for quality . Their no frills , no warranty registration needed whether your the first owner or the 10th owner of that scope they will cover it no questions asked

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 09-14-2013, 03:20 AM   #36

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
nikon m223 with a adm qd mount excellent scope and superb mount
This is the setup I'm saving for