AR-15 scope question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR-15 scope question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default AR-15 scope question

Not sure if my question goes here or over in the hunting forums....

Anyway I have a S&W M&P with a 1:9 twist that I would like to take white tail hunting. It is what I have access too, and I am pretty confident in my abilities to take the right shot. I know there is a lot of discussion about .223/5.56 and deer hunting but that is not my question or the purpose of this post.

My question is about a scope. My current set up has a 512 EOTech on it. I have seen the G33 magnifier that can work in conjunction with the 512. But at $500 that just about eats up all my budget. If I can find a decent scope that can work for a hunting set up on a ar, then I might be able to get it for a bit less, freeing up some funds for other needed gear.

So I guess I have 2 questions really, is the 512+G33 combo any good as a hunting rig, or should I just get a dedicated scope with a quick mount?

Other question, any decent scope options in the 200 to 300$ price range that will work at the range(100 to 200yd) that I will be working at?

Thanks in advance guys!!

Ashton

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #2

Liked 1845 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

I am the king of cheap. No one will ever accuse me of buying more expensive than I need. I have a 1 in 7 twist barrel on my AR. I am running a Simmons 3-9 x 40. It says 8-Point on it. I don't remember where I got it. But I have never spent more than $100 on a scope. I can shoot 100 yard 3 shot groups with the holes touching each other. It can't be too bad.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #3

You should stop by the introductions area and say "Hello". Welcome to the forum.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
You should stop by the introductions area and say "Hello". Welcome to the forum.
Roger that!

Old 09-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2563 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

Ashton.

Obviously the EOTech 3X unit would work just fine for deer hunting with the 223/5.56. Since all shots should be taken at closer ranges. But the other issue is if you are looking for a quality quick disconect scope mount for the full sized scope you are looking there around $199.00. Then if you buy a good scope for around $300 you are goiing to have right at $500 anyway. So if that be the case I would go with the 3X unit. That way you would not have to keep re-zeroing the rifle each time you changed optics. Quick disconect or not you are going to have to re-zero! The other lesser expensive way to go for example is to buy like a Rock River High Rise Cantilever Mount 1" Part No. AR0130T and then get a fair priced good quality scope and you will come in Under $350.
Good Luck on your choice and excellent shots will be required but can be done!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 09-03-2013, 11:07 PM   #6

I have my scope mounted on a 1 inch tall x 6 inch long riser. I am able to switch back and forth with my Red Dot and my carry handle. I have not had to re-zero yet. I simply remove the entire riser with the scope on it. But I have not tried to shoot it past 100 yards either.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:22 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5678 Times on 2965 Posts
Likes Given: 375

nikon m223 with a adm qd mount excellent scope and superb mount

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-03-2013, 11:38 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2563 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

Rick,

I understand what you are saying but being an accuracy freak what is zero for one person may not be for another. If we are speaking about hitting a target it can happen but if benched very seldom the rounds will hit in the exact same spot. May be off only an inch or two but will normally be off some. Of course it would still hit a 8 inch target at 50 or 100. The easy and cheapest way is a cantilever mount and a good scope like JonM suggested. When scoping an AR Rifle with a normal sized scope a cantilever mount or similar mount is necessary for proper eye relief and adjustment of the forward and rearward movement of the scope. The eyepiece should be even with the back of the charging handle when in the proper position.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 09-04-2013, 12:26 AM   #9
emo
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 274 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred61
Not sure if my question goes here or over in the hunting forums....

Anyway I have a S&W M&P with a 1:9 twist that I would like to take white tail hunting. It is what I have access too, and I am pretty confident in my abilities to take the right shot. I know there is a lot of discussion about .223/5.56 and deer hunting but that is not my question or the purpose of this post.

My question is about a scope. My current set up has a 512 EOTech on it. I have seen the G33 magnifier that can work in conjunction with the 512. But at $500 that just about eats up all my budget. If I can find a decent scope that can work for a hunting set up on a ar, then I might be able to get it for a bit less, freeing up some funds for other needed gear.

So I guess I have 2 questions really, is the 512+G33 combo any good as a hunting rig, or should I just get a dedicated scope with a quick mount?

Other question, any decent scope options in the 200 to 300$ price range that will work at the range(100 to 200yd) that I will be working at?

Thanks in advance guys!!

Ashton
Just because you have an EoTech doesn't mean you need to use their 3x magnifier. Take a look at the magnifier from Vortex.
http://www.amazon.com/Vortex-VMX-3T-Magnifier-Flip-Mount/dp/B00BQWTC14/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378254342&sr=8-1&keywords=vortex+3x+magnifier

Real dogs drool!

Old 09-04-2013, 01:12 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emo View Post
Just because you have an EoTech doesn't mean you need to use their 3x magnifier. Take a look at the magnifier from Vortex.
http://www.amazon.com/Vortex-VMX-3T-Magnifier-Flip-Mount/dp/B00BQWTC14/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378254342&sr=8-1&keywords=vortex+3x+magnifier
That is fantastic!! I have a pair of Vortex binoculars and I love them! I did not realize they made a magnifier as well. Thanks for pointing it out.

Ashton