Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR 15 Scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 03:03 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Let me clarify, what kind of shooting will you be doing? Only from a bench at the range? Prone? Are your just target shooting? Are you a more practical/tactical type shooter....minute of bad guy type shooting? Shooting freehand?

Shooting 300 yards can be done with iron sights, 4 moa unmagnified red dot etc. Hell, I shoot steel plates 200 yards and 300 yards with my 7.5 ar pistol with unmagnified 4 moa red dot. Precision it ain't. Minute of bad guy, sure. The best choice for those distances? Definitely not. Even at 25 yards, its not going to win any precision competitions.

I went for a Vortex PST 1-4x for my 18" spr build. Nice big reticle illuminated reticle, with nice thin lines in the middle. Great for minute of steel plate out to 400 yards no problem. One ragged hole at 50 yards using plinker 55 gr fmj. I was breaking in the barrel and zerioing it at 50 yards, and taking it out to 200/300/400 yard steel plates. Didn't have a chance to see if was suitable for groups at 100 yards, but definitely will next trip out with some nice long match grade ammo. I wanted an optic to help me get out to 300 and 400 yards shooting plates, standing/freehand that was reasonably fast at shorter ranges. Its pretty fast at shorter ranges, not as fast as a red dot. But much much better at 200+ yard shots.

Hope this helps you.
Oh gotcha sorry, well I do a lot of free hand shooting and mainly wanted an optic to get cleaner shots on hogs around the 200 yard mark. Ive taken them with irons but I just want more pin pointing at longer distances. I have an Eotech on it now but I think id have a better experience with a 3 power scope. Good enough for the 200 yards but still can be useful for 100 -25 yards.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:51 AM   #42

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Ya, I'd take a real hard look at a 1-4x. Honestly with more and more practice I'm getting faster picking up my sight picture. Its also pretty a pretty good workout as my SPR is a heavy pig. Its almost as fast as a red dot, but a consistent check weld is alot more critical for speed.

My friend has an Eotech with a 4x magnifier. The sight picture and eyebox is better on my Viper PST than his magnifier.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #43

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Ya, I'd take a real hard look at a 1-4x. Honestly with more and more practice I'm getting faster picking up my sight picture. Its also pretty a pretty good workout as my SPR is a heavy pig. Its almost as fast as a red dot, but a consistent check weld is alot more critical for speed.

My friend has an Eotech with a 4x magnifier. The sight picture and eyebox is better on my Viper PST than his magnifier.
Hey thanks a lot man I was about to order a 3-9x40 but now ill look into more of a carbine optic, 1-4x!

Old 05-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotPuncher

Hey thanks a lot man I was about to order a 3-9x40 but now ill look into more of a carbine optic, 1-4x!
Check out the Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x20 with the SPR-G Firedot illuminated reticle. I have been getting Sub-MOA groups with 55gr at 100 yds using a REECE build. 16 inch CHF barrel with 1:7 twist.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #45

See the whole thing about scopes is alot more than just absolute magnification power.

Sure you can get a 30x scope but the field of view is soo small that you it will be next to impossible to find your target in less than 10 seconds.

When hunting as you probably well know, time is the enemy. So when hunting or even practical shooting, getting behind an optic with a generous field of view (FOV) is extremely beneficial. A good friend of mine who varmints with a .223 at 100 too 200 (even 300 at times) yards, says that he's usually around 4-5x power on his 3-9x just because, at higher mags, its just too hard to find the damn varmints.

At 1x, you can shoot with both eyes open with minimal loss of field of view, get a sight picture almost as fast as a red dot. With a cat tail you can dial up to 4x in a second. For your intended use, I think a 1-4 variable power optic will be very nice.

Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 05-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #46

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post

Check out the Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x20 with the SPR-G Firedot illuminated reticle. I have been getting Sub-MOA groups with 55gr at 100 yds using a REECE build. 16 inch CHF barrel with 1:7 twist.
Really!? Wow ill check it out thanks for the heads up!

Old 05-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotPuncher

Really!? Wow ill check it out thanks for the heads up!
I love the reticle.
image-3586087171.jpg  

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #48

read this....

its a LONG read, but worth your while.

http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=421244&page=1