Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR 15 Scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 11:36 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6745 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotPuncher View Post
That's the one! I didn't know they do that sounds pretty good if you do a lot of Amazon shopping. I found it on Optics Planet for 169.00 on sale, the even had the mounts too, is it better to get the two connected scope rings or the two single rings? Does it make a difference?
It is a good deal, and you don't need to continue to use the card any further. just destroy it and you saved 40 or so dollars on the purchase. That would make that same scope through amazon only 129.00 dollars.

I prefer Larue QD mounts for my AR.
A 223 AR doesn't have much recoil at all, so any reputable name brand of scope rings and mounts should do the trick. So whichever you like the looks of. I prefer the QD mounts so I can switch out optics for SHTF scenarios and home defense, then go hunting with it later on, and NOT have to re-set the zero every time. Thats where a quality QD mount shines.
Heres my versatility which i am talkin' bout, Willis:
Hunting:

What brand of mounts and rings are you looking at? Just don't get Barska or NCStar and other crappy cheap mounts, they rarely hold their zero, and although some have had success and swear by them, there are gazillions of threads on the web about their problems.
And home defense:

Last edited by Anna_Purna; 05-19-2013 at 11:39 PM.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #32

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post

It is a good deal, and you don't need to continue to use the card any further. just destroy it and you saved 40 or so dollars on the purchase. That would make that same scope through amazon only 129.00 dollars.

I prefer Larue QD mounts for my AR.
A 223 AR doesn't have much recoil at all, so any reputable name brand of scope rings and mounts should do the trick. So whichever you like the looks of. I prefer the QD mounts so I can switch out optics for SHTF scenarios and home defense, then go hunting with it later on, and NOT have to re-set the zero every time. Thats where a quality QD mount shines.
Heres my versatility which i am talkin' bout, Willis:
Hunting:

What brand of mounts and rings are you looking at? Just don't get Barska or NCStar and other crappy cheap mounts, they rarely hold their zero, and although some have had success and swear by them, there are gazillions of threads on the web about their problems.
And home defense:
The Nikon P 223 mounts their not QD tho. One question at what power do you zero in? At my local range the longest lane they have is 100 yards.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I mostly keep my optics set on the 3 when shooting, and mostly only go upwards to the 9 when im scouting available targets.

my 25 06 i go anywhere from 6 to 24 power

Old 05-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #34

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

Again look at the PERP sight mount by Burris.. I paid 70 bucks for mine.. It's solid we'll build and looks sleek on the gun..

Old 05-20-2013, 11:00 PM   #35

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1548141657/burris-ar-pepr-1-piece-extended-scope-mount-picatinny-style-with-integral-rings-flattop-ar-15-matte

Correction it's a PEPR sight mount

Old 05-20-2013, 11:15 PM   #36

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Somethings you want to consider when looking for a scope.

What ranges will you be shooting?

How much you are willing to spend?

What kind of shooting will you be doing?

One common problem is that people seem to think that the more magnification the better. If you are only shooting from ideal positions (bench, with a vise or bags) and going for either longer distance (600+ yards) or going for itty bitty groups of holes in paper, sure more magnification is good!

But, if you want a wider field of view, to find your target and acquire a sight picture, more magnification will actually hurt you. The feild of view of many high powered scopes is tiny compared to the lower powered ones. Most hunting is done with 3-9 scopes and almost never at max magnification, because you have to find your target before you can shoot it. Also the higher magnification scopes usually have a smaller and harder to find eyebox further slowing you down.

Field of view is oftentimes overlooked but is a very important stat for practical shooting.

Eyebox/eye relief is also almost never considered by first time optics buyers, but really really should be considered and very important stat for practical shooting. It is hard to measure it objectively, so being able to try it out in person is the most recommended.

Take your time and try and get behind as many different kinds of scopes before putting any money down.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 05-20-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 05-20-2013, 11:33 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

^+1 to what RikkiTikki just said

Old 05-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #38

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quick question! I want a 200 yd zero.but only have a 100 yd range. If I go with 2 inches high @ 100 it should be on @ 200 right?

Old 05-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #39

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Somethings you want to consider when looking for a scope.

What ranges will you be shooting?

How much you are willing to spend?

What kind of shooting will you be doing?

One common problem is that people seem to think that the more magnification the better. If you are only shooting from ideal positions (bench, with a vise or bags) and going for either longer distance (600+ yards) or going for itty bitty groups of holes in paper, sure more magnification is good!

But, if you want a wider field of view, to find your target and acquire a sight picture, more magnification will actually hurt you. The feild of view of many high powered scopes is tiny compared to the lower powered ones. Most hunting is done with 3-9 scopes and almost never at max magnification, because you have to find your target before you can shoot it. Also the higher magnification scopes usually have a smaller and harder to find eyebox further slowing you down.

Field of view is oftentimes overlooked but is a very important stat for practical shooting.

Eyebox/eye relief is also almost never considered by first time optics buyers, but really really should be considered and very important stat for practical shooting. It is hard to measure it objectively, so being able to try it out in person is the most recommended.

Take your time and try and get behind as many different kinds of scopes before putting any money down.
Look at my first post

Old 05-22-2013, 11:44 PM   #40

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Let me clarify, what kind of shooting will you be doing? Only from a bench at the range? Prone? Are your just target shooting? Are you a more practical/tactical type shooter....minute of bad guy type shooting? Shooting freehand?

Shooting 300 yards can be done with iron sights, 4 moa unmagnified red dot etc. Hell, I shoot steel plates 200 yards and 300 yards with my 7.5 ar pistol with unmagnified 4 moa red dot. Precision it ain't. Minute of bad guy, sure. The best choice for those distances? Definitely not. Even at 25 yards, its not going to win any precision competitions.

I went for a Vortex PST 1-4x for my 18" spr build. Nice big reticle illuminated reticle, with nice thin lines in the middle. Great for minute of steel plate out to 400 yards no problem. One ragged hole at 50 yards using plinker 55 gr fmj. I was breaking in the barrel and zerioing it at 50 yards, and taking it out to 200/300/400 yard steel plates. Didn't have a chance to see if was suitable for groups at 100 yards, but definitely will next trip out with some nice long match grade ammo. I wanted an optic to help me get out to 300 and 400 yards shooting plates, standing/freehand that was reasonably fast at shorter ranges. Its pretty fast at shorter ranges, not as fast as a red dot. But much much better at 200+ yard shots.

Hope this helps you.