ar-15 risers

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > ar-15 risers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default ar-15 risers

Hi, new to the ar world here, long time ak guy. I just bought my first ar a couple days ago and I have a question about risers. Apparently I need them, however IMHO they look pretty stupid. Am I pretty much stuck with this option? I put a scope on mine with those funky ar scope rings with the forward bend in them. I plan on using some 45 degree iron sights as well and I just don't see a way without using the risers. My ar didn't come with any sights at all. If I use a riser on the rear do I need one on the gas block as well? I'm thinking that may be a stupid question but I'm a total noob in this world lol. Are there any risers that don't look like square tube stock with a rail welded on it? I have a riser for the gas block already that I bought to lower a bipod on my 22 a while ago. I put it on and really hate the look. I understand that function > looks but its such a "pretty" rifle and I hate putting crap looking stuff on it. Thanks in advance and thank you for your time.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-31-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2740 Times on 1332 Posts
Likes Given: 1392

jeremy,

If you are looking for a rail to add to your flat top which will give you total standard scope ring eye relief adjustment. Go to Rock River Arms and look at the Scout Rail. If you do not like the one piece mount with the forward leaning solid rings this is a great option to that. Most generaly regular Medium Height Rings work great with most full size scopes. Also should allow you space to mount the angled iron sight unit on.
I have used them for years and they are a good quality fine unit! When mounting your scope the eye piece should be even with the back of the Charging Handle for proper eye relief.

rra-scout-rail.gif  

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 12-31-2013 at 03:28 PM.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:40 PM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Do you have a pic of the scout rail mounted up with optics? I'm curious to see how exactly it works.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Jeremy,

Yes Sir I do! Here is a Scout Rail mounted on my Sabre Defence 6.5 Grendel Comp/Var. Rifle. Leupold VX-III 3.5X10 Gold Ring with Medium Height Rings.

sabre-6.5-grendel.jpg  

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 12-31-2013 at 04:09 PM.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:26 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6010 Times on 3148 Posts
Likes Given: 431

Look up these from american defense manufacturing http://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/25/ they make two different types in one inch and thirty mm. They extend the scope forward allowing mounting of backup sights and detach with a lever flip and then return to zero.

Our ftf vendors most liekly have em cheaper than msrp

Larue mounts damage rails and eventually shoot loose or work loose if you constantly remove the optic while needing tools for adjustments.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-01-2014, 07:13 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Jon.

I think Jeremy fell of the edge of the Earth~ I was waiting for response to our contacts.

*Patrick Henry

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 01-02-2014, 12:07 AM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Sorry I haven't responded to you guys and I appreciate all the info and links. Been busy with holidays and family. Happy new year to you all. I'm going to continue my research.

Last edited by jeremyx28; 01-02-2014 at 04:05 PM.
KG7IL Likes This 
Old 01-02-2014, 12:09 AM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Jeremy,

Yes Sir I do! Here is a Scout Rail mounted on my Sabre Defence 6.5 Grendel Comp/Var. Rifle. Leupold VX-III 3.5X10 Gold Ring with Medium Height Rings.
That looks fantastic! I like it a lot and I'm going to order one.