Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR-15 Rifle Test Quiz!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 723 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 691

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Lol. I had the exact same thought on #7 (low profile gas block) and just didn't bother knit picking after that.
I also thought the wording of many questions was poor or written in the 1970s and of course things have changed. I can't remember the terminology primary sear and secondary sear but after reading a few questions you get their drift.

I have my doubts how good this armorers course is, kinda think it's a scam like many of these work at home programs that really just separate you from your money. Oh well it's a step above the grammar in the Nigerian emails and they want an answer so I went in their brain dead mode and figured all red answers were right except #7 which should be c.

Anyway, poor test and you've got to put something down so might as well think like the test writer and give 'em the answer they want. I had a lot of tests like this over my 64 years.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:04 PM   #12
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2910 Times on 1715 Posts

Lol. I didn't even realize that there was colored answers. Can't see them in the app. I agree on #7 and I'm probably wrong on the one answer that doesn't match and that's the one I wanted to verify. Now that I really think back I remember manually pushing the bolt hold back the few times I've had a chance to use an AR.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Lol I'm not sure what I missed on that first go. Just disregard it.
C b a a b a c b c a a a t a a f t t d 1-
Hopefully that's enough answers and in the right order. Lol
Now there are 19 answers when there are only 18 questions. I am lost?

1-c
2-b
3-a
4-a
5-b
6-a
7-c
8-b
9-c
10-a
11-a
12-a
13-true
14-a
15-a
16-false
17-true
18-true
19-d

Old 07-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #14
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Ignore the one or whatever it is on the end. I'm clearly not getting along with my phone today. Lol

Old 07-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy74 View Post
Now there are 19 answers when there are only 18 questions. I am lost?

1-c
2-b
3-a
4-a
5-b
6-a
7-c
8-b
9-c
10-a
11-a
12-a
13-true
14-a
15-a
16-false
17-true
18-true
19-d
Hoppy, in the original post just change your answer to #7 to c. Or at least think about it.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #16
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin

Hoppy, in the original post just change your answer to #7 to c. Or at least think about it.
Agreed....

Old 07-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 63 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy74 View Post

7. What causes the bolt to rotate in the bolt carrier?
a) The bottom of the carrier key cams the rear end of the bolt and rotates it.
b) The expanding gas on the bolt face that comes directly from the gas chamber.
c) The cam-pin hitting the bolt carrier
d) The counter rotation of the barrel extension lug
The carrier key does not rotate in any way. Nor does it contact the bolt in any way. Those two facts make answer "A" impossible.

Gas chamber? Is that a part of the gun that I have not heard of yet? "B" is not the correct answer.

The barrel extension and the lugs therein are stationary, thus they DO NOT rotate. "D" is not the correct answer.

The cam pin must be in contact with the carrier for it to cam. But "HITTING" would be an exaggeration of the event (in my opinion).
"C" is the MOST correct answer if you ignore the odd ball wording.

EDUB

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #18
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1798 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 971

I also think that No.7's answer as given by the originator on the questionnaire is flawed and certainly not the correct answer. So I am going to walk through the sequence from the time the round is fired. The projectile leaves the casing down the bore until the bullet passes by the gas port in the Barrel below the Front sight or what ever is used. This as the gas builds it passes through the gas port hole into the front sight, gas block or similar unit. The gas then exits the front sight unit and enters the gas tube traveling back entering the carrier key. The gas then passes down through the carrier key into a chamber at the tail shaft of the bolt and the bolt carrier itself. With the gas rings on the bolt at the front of this chamber and close tolerance in the bolt carrier at the tail shaft of the bolt. The chamber fills as the Carrier is the first thing to start to move. At this point as the chamber fills with gas pushing the carrier to the rear. As the Carrier moves to the rear by the force of the gas in the chamber the carrier key in the machined caming area on the carrier itself cams the carrier key, which causes the bolt to rotate 22 deg. roughly and unlock the bolt itself in the area of the barrel extension and locking lugs. With the entire Carrier Assembly w Bolt now retract to the rear the casing is extracted by the extractor followed by the ejector ejecting the spent casing from the receiver. I guess I would view the closes answer the way it is unclear stated is with Quentin. If the cam pin was not there to follow the machined caming surface area on the carrier the bolt would not unlock! So the way it is asked C is the closest to the correct answer. The bottom of the carrier key only vents the gas to the mechanical operating system of the weapon * If all this makes sense. Bottom line I am with most of you! I smell a little bit of a rat or scam since it is very obvious that who ever put this questionnaire together is somewhat questionable with their knowledge. And certainly their presentation and organization. That is only my honest opinion! Some areas of the questionnaire seem ok.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Quentin Likes This 
Old 07-17-2012, 10:25 PM   #19

Great explanation of the gas system, Sniper! Question 7 and its answers are poorly written but after throwing out the ridiculous, c is the only answer that even comes close. There are similar problems with the rest of the test.

I would think a genuine armorers test would have been proofread by people at least as familiar with the AR platform as we are - and the wording would have been corrected. Anyway, hopefully we were able to help Hoppy!

Old 07-18-2012, 12:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Lol I'm not sure what I missed on that first go. Just disregard it.
C b a a b a c b c a a a t a a f t t d
Hopefully that's enough answers and in the right order. Lol
Now there is 19 answers when there were only 18 questins. Help! are the out of sink?