AR-15 Recoil compared to a 9mm Carbine???
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR-15 Recoil compared to a 9mm Carbine???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 01:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default AR-15 Recoil compared to a 9mm Carbine???

Hiya Folks!

I currently shoot a Beretta CX4 9mm Carbine. I'm making a Christmas List, and at the top is, "AR-15". I can't find any place locally to Rent an AR-15 to try out, so I wanted to get some input from you folks on here.

The 9mm is about the hardest Recoil I can physically take, and it's not bad at all. It's a comfortable zone for me. FYI, I had a Triple-Heart-Bypass 10 years ago, and my poor upper body can't take the abuse like it could when I was younger. I used to shoot shotguns, British 303, 30-06, etc., but I can't take the beating anymore.

For those of you that may have shot a 9mm Carbine or have a CX4, I'd like to know how the Recoil of the AR-15 compares to the 9mm.

I have a Sig 522 .22 Rifle, and a S&W M&P 15-22 .22 Rifle. They're a lot of fun to shoot, and the 15-22 is the AR's little brother. I've been using the 15-22 and 522 as Trainers, trying to decide if I want an AR-15 or the Sig 556. I've pretty much decided on the AR-15 first. I'm looking at the S&W M&P 15, since I already have the M&P 15-22. Any other good candidate Brands out there that you folks prefer?

Any info you can throw my way, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Cheers!

BB

"The Floggings will continue, until Morale improves!"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-15-2011, 01:42 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6026 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 432

a rifle length ar15 will give the smoothest gentle recoil of pretty much any centerfire rifle. you can smooth it out more by adding lead weight to the buttstock compartment and handguards if you pick a A2 model. the more weight the less recoil. you can also easily add a muzzle brake.

stay away from carbine and midlength as the recoil is stronger and sharper due to lighter weight and shorter gas tube

RRA sells superb rifle length A2 and flattop A4 rifles that will fit your needs perfectly. the A4 style has a removable carrying handle.

the recoil on my national match RRA A2 is just a hair stronger than a ruger 10/22 due mainly to the weight

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 08-15-2011 at 01:44 AM.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:20 AM   #3

Jon!

Thanks so much for your response! In fact, you just found my new Rifle for me! When I looked up Rock River Arms, I found exactly what I was looking for... the LAR-9 A4 9mm in Mid-Length. That's the same caliber as my CX4, and I REALLLLLY like that Beta 100-Round Double-Drum that I can get for the LAR-9 (which I will...). That'll suit my needs just perfect. Once I add a Buffer... if they offer one, a Muzzle Break, Bipod, plus the weight of the Beta Drum, and a Vortex Scope, the Recoil may actually be less than my CX4.

I was also concerned about Ammo Costs, and part of my feet-dragging was looking at going from $.21 per 9mm Round up to $1.67 per .223 Round. I go to the Range about once a week, and I'll shoot anywhere from 200-400 Rounds of 9mm, .380, and/or .22LR, combined. I'm currently paying $21.97 for 100-Rounds of Win 9mm, $34.97 for 100-Rounds of Win .380, and $15.47 for 555 Rounds of Win .22LR. Paying $167 for 100-Rounds of .223, was kinda dulling the luster of buying an AR. But, not anymore!

Again... thanks for the RRA reference. Now that I found what I want... I just gotta let Santa know!

Cheers!

BB

Old 08-16-2011, 07:02 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard1718 View Post
Round up to $1.67 per .223 Round.
I think you're getting gypped on .223 my friend. I can find it for about .40 and cheaper.

The truth will set you free, but first it's going to piss you off.

"Time to nut up or shut up." - Tallahassee

"Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid." - The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:22 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Np enjoy the new stick. RRA is in my opinion one of the best out there atm. Havent personally tried a pistol caliber version but all ive herad is good things.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-16-2011, 11:10 PM   #6

Liked 1070 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 1075

I would try hard to shoot a standard AR first before going 9mm. I expect the recoil no doubt is less with 9mm (haven't fired one) but the .223/5.56 is pretty light too and much more versatile. As far as cost, cheap .223 is about the same as value priced 9mm.

The .223 recoil is nothing like, say a 30-30.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hot2handle View Post
I think you're getting gypped on .223 my friend. I can find it for about .40 and cheaper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Np enjoy the new stick. RRA is in my opinion one of the best out there atm. Havent personally tried a pistol caliber version but all ive herad is good things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I would try hard to shoot a standard AR first before going 9mm. I expect the recoil no doubt is less with 9mm (haven't fired one) but the .223/5.56 is pretty light too and much more versatile. As far as cost, cheap .223 is about the same as value priced 9mm.

The .223 recoil is nothing like, say a 30-30.
2H2H!

Hmmm..... I think ROBBED is more like it! Actually, I was basing my pricing from a gent that was shooting next to me at the Range, a couple of months ago. I was shooting my CX4, and he was shooting an AR-15 with .223. While we waited for another Shooter to respot his Target, I asked the gent about his AR-15, and the cost of .223 & 556 Ammo. He told me he paid $1.67 a Round, for the "Good Stuff"... whichever Brand that might be. That pretty much shyed me away from the AR-15 at the time, comparing the Costs of my 9mm Ammo to the .223.

However, prior to replying to this post, I looked up .223 prices on some of my Ammo Bookmarks, and now I see what you mean. Here's what I found, after just looking at 3 sites:

- $189 for 500-Rounds Privi Partizan = $.38 a Round
- $179 for 420-Rounds Federal = $.42 a Round
- $338 for 840-Rounds Federal = $.40 a Round
- $139 for 500-Rounds Wolf = $.28 a Round
- $170 for 500-Rounds PMC = $.34 a Round
- $130 for 500-Rounds Brown Bear = $.26 a Round
- $370 for 500-Rounds Remington = $.74 a Round

NONE of these... even came close to $1.67 a Round. Was he just jerking my chain, or is there really, "Good Stuff" that costs that much, and what would it possibly be used for? Competitions, possibly?

The 9mm Range Ammo I shoot now, is Win 115gr FMJ. What I carry in my CCW's, is Federal HST 147gr FMJ with Barrels longer than 3", and 124gr FMJ in 3" Barrels. I could use the HST in the LAR-9 for Home Defense Ammo, just as I do with my CX4.

JonM!

I am definitely buying my AR through RRA for sure. I had looked at other brands of 9mm Rifles, and came up with Hi-Point, Kel-Tec, Colt and Bushmaster. I didn't really want an AR, "Off-of-the-Shelf", so to speak, with regards to buying one that I would have to Upgrade to what I want. Instead, with RRA, I can place my order with the Upgrades I want from the start, and when it was delivered, I would only have to add my Scope, Bipod, and Bullets. That would be it. Just to get an idea of what I've played around with so far, here's what I did to my M&P 15-22, Beretta CX4 9mm, and my Sig 522:

15-22

CX4

My intentions are, to remove my Bipod and Vortex Diamondback Scope from the CX4, and put it on the LAR-9, and put my Vortex StrikeFire Green/Red Dot Scope back on to the CX4 (where it originally was...), and keep it as light as possible, similar to the 522 setup I have now.

Just playing around with RRA's, "Upgrade Tabs", I'm already in the $1700 Price Ballpark, which includes the A4 Model with Quad-Rails, and 100-Round Beta C Dual-Drum Mag. If I'm gonna do it... I'm gonna do it right!

Quentin!

I would really LOVE to get a hold of a Standard AR in .223, and see how it shoots. However, there are several Gun Ranges within about 50 miles of me, and not one that I can find, Rents AR's. Now that I know .223 Ammo is reasonably priced, the AR-15 is back on my Short List, at least for the time being. I go to the Range every week, so, if I happen to run into someone with an AR, I'll ask them if they're willing to trade shots with my CX4, and me with their AR, so I can get the feel of it. I did, happen to get my hands on an AR-15 at Academy Sports today, but just to hold it. From what I could tell, the Lower is Metal, unlike my 15-22 which is Polymer, and the Rifle was a bit heavier than my 15-22, but not by much. The AR would be a Bench Shooter anyway, so it's not like I'm going to Rambo it around my neck on a Sling, and shoot it standing. Especially with the Bipod and Scope I'll have on it. So, weight isn't really going to be a factor at this point.

Folks..... I'd just like to say, "THANKS", for your responses and info I've received on this Forum thus far. I'm still in the Learning Stages of the AR, so I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way.

Cheers!

BB

Old 08-18-2011, 12:57 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

you might want to get a standard ar15 lower nd just use rra's 9mm conversion block in the magwell. that would give you the option later to get a 223 upper...

just something to think about