Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Ar-15 question for today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #41
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5114 Times on 2661 Posts
Likes Given: 310

A piston driven to extremes will blow at the piston block a di will blow the gas tube. Normally just replace the tube and keep going sometimes it does more damage usually not. If a piston blows the gun is done without a major over haul.

It takes a stupid amount of abuse for either system to overload something like 40-50 magazines full auto nonstop.

Dirt doesnt bother a properly functioning and built di gun in the least.

Both will function the same with a blocked barrel and become unusable after a shot or two at most. I dont see any advantage to adding weight and moving parts.

A crappily put together piston gun will run just as shtty as a crappily put together di gun

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-11-2012, 04:48 PM   #42

Liked 200 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Very few of us will ever see the day where we rise out of a swamp to fire the rifle at the enemy. Even so, there is a good possibility the water logged gun will blow up when fired. If the piston blows up, the failure point will probably be at the gas block. If the DI blows up, it will probably be at the upper receiver. If I were put in that position, the further away from my face, the better. Barring me getting deployed to somewhere with that scenario, which is very unlikely, I would rather have the weapon with the least amount of moving parts and the least weight, which is the DI. From what I understand, the spec ops guys are glad to have the HK 416, but the rank and file military would just as soon not have the extra weight. We have enough crap to lug around. Every microgram feels like a ton when you start having to ruck your gear around. Like Jon said, a properly built DI with quality parts will do the job as well as a properly built piston. I have both, and they work well and I spend an equal amount of time cleaning either.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 10-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #43
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

WOW, that is scary as all hell! I use a boresnake right after the range and when cleaning my barrel. This pretty much eliminates the chance of a patch getting stuck in my barrel.

On another note, my PWS, which is a long stroke piston driven AR style rifle weighs in at a shade over 6.5 pounds. A 6940 (quad railed Colt AR) weighs in at 7 lb. 1 oz. which pretty much negates any weight concern. It eats up pretty much anything I've ever run in it except that crappy Fiocci 42 grain frangible ammo that my local range tries to insist I shoot and tries to sell me when visit them. I now use the SSA 55 grain frangible and have zero issues.

Just sayin...

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56
USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 10-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #44

Liked 200 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS View Post
it's got something to do with the way the HK "vents" it's gases.......that's why it's able to immediately fire upon exiting a watery grave.

"HK416
The HK416 (5.56 mm) was developed by Heckler & Koch for U.S. special operations forces as a major product improvement of M4/M16-type carbines and rifles. Using the HK-proprietary gas piston system found on the G36, the HK416 does not introduce propellant gases and carbon fouling back into the weapon’s interior, making it the most reliable of any M4/M16 type weapon.

The HK-proprietary gas system uses a piston driving an operating rod to control the function of the bolt, preventing propellant gases and the associated carbon fouling from entering the weapon’s interior. This increases the reliability of the weapon and extends the interval between stoppages. It also reduces operator cleaning time, heat transfer to the bolt and bolt carrier, and wear and tear on critical components."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjMH94PuT_I

could be true..........who knows!
I have a carbine with an ARES Black Lightning piston kit installed (Bushmaster bought the rights to their patents and currently manufactures the kits), and as far as reliability goes, it works well. I am not going to submerge it just to test whether or not it will fire or explode on me. I just believe that the shorter the barrel, the more the piston shines as opposed to the gas tube. Also, the piston has more felt recoil, which makes it more amenable to bumpfiring, which I was doing a lot of at the time I put the ARES kit in as ammo was cheaper, and I was single. Since then, both of those situations have changed. It does put less carbon in the receiver, but it still accumilates some at the piston itself. Just means I have to take the handguards off more often. Knowing what I do now, I would probably not build another piston gun. Not that they are bad, but for the extra money, I can build an AR with better parts and have money left over for ammo.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin