Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Ar-15 question for today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I have to be honest I would never had guessed a cloth patch could do that.

I had it pretty much pegged as obstruction, but as stated above I thought it was a squib or maybe as C3 alluded a pulled bullet by having too long of a reload.

One cloth patch and you got yourself $1500 worth of scrap metal.

I guess we should ask, was the guy seriously hurt? Or just his pride?

Excellent post '03!!

Last edited by Dillinger; 10-09-2012 at 10:46 PM.
USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 10-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #32
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2235 Times on 1119 Posts
Likes Given: 1146

Havoc,
As we know it certainly was not the rifles fault at all! It was a Colt M-4.
The only explanation I had regarding the patch causing this was.
1. The patch started from just somewhere inside the beginning of the chamber in the free area. The bullet tip being pointed picked up the patch somewhere in the middle of the patch material which evenly distributed the patch out over the tip of the bullet. And as it traveled forward the brake of the patch between the bore and the side of the bullet got tighter and tighter and at the same time the pressure kept building and building. And finally cleared to bore in pieces. As the bullet came apart due to the pressure. That is what caused the damage and rough area in the bore was when it finally fragmented. I can only imagine what the psi was in that barrel at the time!
You are correct! All of the years I have spent with the Black Gun and in the industry. This was "THE" worst event (Blow Up) I have ever seen. Thank God it was a 7075 T-6 Aluminum Receiver. If it had been a metal machined receiver the officer would no doubt be DRT! He would have had the same as a hand grenade setting on his shoulder!!!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 10-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #33

Liked 1120 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Havoc,
As we know it certainly was not the rifles fault at all! It was a Colt M-4.
The only explanation I had regarding the patch causing this was.
1. The patch started from just somewhere inside the beginning of the chamber in the free area. The bullet tip being pointed picked up the patch somewhere in the middle of the patch material which evenly distributed the patch out over the tip of the bullet. And as it traveled forward the brake of the patch between the bore and the side of the bullet got tighter and tighter and at the same time the pressure kept building and building. And finally cleared to bore in pieces. As the bullet came apart due to the pressure. That is what caused the damage and rough area in the bore was when it finally fragmented. I can only imagine what the psi was in that barrel at the time!
You are correct! All of the years I have spent with the Black Gun and in the industry. This was "THE" worst event (Blow Up) I have ever seen. Thank God it was a 7075 T-6 Aluminum Receiver. If it had been a metal machined receiver the officer would no doubt be DRT! He would have had the same as a hand grenade setting on his shoulder!!!

Note to self never buy COLT. LOL just kidding just a simple operator ,hurry up, rush it error that could have been alot worse than it was including others around it. Im sure that was a lesson learned by many to take a quick peek down the barrel even if it takes a extra 10 seconds to pull the BCG and take a peek and put it back in

Old 10-08-2012, 09:58 PM   #34

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Be sure to get all oil and bore cleaner residue out of the barrel as well. If it's still moist, a thin layer could pool up into a droplet. One droplet of oil could (potentially) blow your rifle. I wouldn't have guessed it was a patch, because I'd assume nobody would be careless enough to leave one in their barrel. I always hook mine and I even look at them when they come out to check if they're clean, how damp they are, etc.. Lets me know how much fouling, oil is left in there.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #35

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

DAYHUM that sux! I would not have guessed a patch.

A couple of months ago at the range I was letting a friend shoot my AR10 ... loaded a round, pulled the trigger ... and nothing. He immediately pulled the charging handle and was to pull the trigger again when I stopped him

I hadn't noticed a round get ejected when he pulled the charging handle ... sure enough a round was still in the chamber and another jammed up with the bolt. Took a while to get it unjammed

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

People Like This 
Old 10-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #36

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Ha, I told y'all that's what it was! I just didn't post it becUse it was so obvious i allowed y'all to guess! Roll eyes

Old 10-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #37

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

hmmmmmmmm, now i know why i ALWAYS look down the barrel after i push wet and dry patches thru my firearms.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 10-10-2012, 04:46 AM   #38

Liked 3680 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 619

There's a video from HK comparing the HK416 to the Colt. They obstructed the barrel and actually had a guy fire it, while wearing a welding mask. The results were exactly as you described. Blew the receiver to hell.
The HK416 didn't do this, but I don't know enough to claim the 416 is that great, or if its HK propaganda.

However, my initial guess is that it was one of those airsoft guns converted to fire live ammo that had the ATF all worked up over.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 10-11-2012, 01:55 AM   #39

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
There's a video from HK comparing the HK416 to the Colt. They obstructed the barrel and actually had a guy fire it, while wearing a welding mask. The results were exactly as you described. Blew the receiver to hell.
The HK416 didn't do this, but I don't know enough to claim the 416 is that great, or if its HK propaganda.

However, my initial guess is that it was one of those airsoft guns converted to fire live ammo that had the ATF all worked up over.

it's got something to do with the way the HK "vents" it's gases.......that's why it's able to immediately fire upon exiting a watery grave.

"HK416
The HK416 (5.56 mm) was developed by Heckler & Koch for U.S. special operations forces as a major product improvement of M4/M16-type carbines and rifles. Using the HK-proprietary gas piston system found on the G36, the HK416 does not introduce propellant gases and carbon fouling back into the weapon’s interior, making it the most reliable of any M4/M16 type weapon.

The HK-proprietary gas system uses a piston driving an operating rod to control the function of the bolt, preventing propellant gases and the associated carbon fouling from entering the weapon’s interior. This increases the reliability of the weapon and extends the interval between stoppages. It also reduces operator cleaning time, heat transfer to the bolt and bolt carrier, and wear and tear on critical components."

could be true..........who knows!

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 10-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #40

Liked 210 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 269

Seen the video a bunch of times on military channel. I just don't see any reason to go into the hole to get one.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

USEBOTHHANDS Likes This