Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Ar-15 question for today! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar-15-question-today-73721/)

Sniper03 10-04-2012 11:28 PM

Ar-15 question for today!

1 Attachment(s)
Wanted to share these pictures with you. I know what caused this but will let you guess. I will confirm if anyone gets the correct answer and explain how it happened. This is the worst "Catastrophic Event" as the industry calls them otherwise a (BLOW UP) I have ever seen in an AR. The Upper Receiver was also separated into 5 separate parts. The Picatinny Rail on top was blown off completely from the receiver along with both the Take Down Lug and Pivot Pin Lug which were also separated completely from the receiver. In addition both sides of the receiver were apart.

jjfuller1 10-04-2012 11:38 PM

squib round?

purehavoc 10-04-2012 11:58 PM

Since squib was taken let's say it left the round in the chamber and when stripping another from the Mag it jammed the tip of the other round into the primer causing it to go off and taking both rounds with it ?

dog2000tj 10-05-2012 12:09 AM

from the way the bolt is damaged I would venture to guess a round went off while not in the chamber, maybe while at the feed ramps. How i'm not sure yet, but I do not believe that even a squib would damage the middle of the bolt and before the lugs of the bolt.

c3shooter 10-05-2012 02:00 AM

Have seen obstructed bore damage- reloads too long- chambered a round, which pushed into the leade, extracted, pulling the brass but leaving bullet lodged in leade, and loaded and fired a 2nd round.

The broken bolt and split bolt carrier would indicate YOWZAH pressures. MIGHT have been an out of battery firing, but if round is not chambered that would usually blow brass out the ejection port.

Only other thing that occurs would be a reload with a fast powder (Bullseye) and WAY too much, driving bolt back so hard it broke at the bolt retaining pin, destroying the bolt carrier. Folks that do that are known as CUDA (Covered Up in Dumb Ass)

So what the heck DID that?

SSGN_Doc 10-05-2012 03:41 AM

1. Squib
2. Overcharge
3. Obstruction in barrel
4. Wrong powder used in reload (pistol or shotgun powder)
5. Out of battery firing.
6. Polymer gun or Blackthorne built gun ;)

Quentin 10-05-2012 04:11 AM

Quote:

6. Polymer gun or Blackthorne built gun...
Good one! :D

AgentTikki 10-05-2012 06:17 AM

Simtex? Mebbe just plastique.......:p

USEBOTHHANDS 10-05-2012 06:45 AM

hot-loaded reload.

gas tube wasn't staked, or wasn't staked properly...........came loose, jammed bolt carrier, and "when he set the charge off, the gator lost his mind!"

fsted2a 10-05-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper03 (Post 964642)
Wanted to share these pictures with you. I know what caused this but will let you guess. I will confirm if anyone gets the correct answer and explain how it happened. This is the worst "Catastrophic Event" as the industry calls them otherwise a (BLOW UP) I have ever seen in an AR. The Upper Receiver was also separated into 5 separate parts. The Picatinny Rail on top was blown off completely from the receiver along with both the Take Down Lug and Pivot Pin Lug which were also separated completely from the receiver. In addition both sides of the receiver were apart.

Water in gas tube?