Ar-15 power - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Ar-15 power

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 331 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 37

1st marine ,what a stupid question and foolish remarks. Unlike you I do have only 43 years of hunting. If you were a seasoned hunter you never would have asked if the 6.8spc would do for hogs.

I suppose 20 years worth of hog hunting from 300 yards with a plane ole 150gr sp 308 on a prairies or fields moveing from wood lot to wood lot to way to many up close kills with a 180gr HC bullet in a 357mag revolver close enough to hit them as they run by. I have around 200 hogs that were killed. Shoot them in the head with that 180gr 357 and the bullet might come out his rearend. Pigs ain't that hard to kill useing the right bullet and placement. Also hunting with a buddy and a couple dogs and just gabb'n the boars to cut them and let go back to the wild, when there was less of them around. They tasted better that way. Mostly up close with the 357 revolver though.

Your the one asking if a 6.8spc would work well. Yes it will work well. You should know that if you understoud ballistics and bullet constrution and ever did any real amount of hunting. Texas hog hunting as only 30 yards!!! Heck you don't even need a rifle. Handgun or slug gun might be more than you need. Why even question about a 6.8spc then to begine with???. My one problem with the big bore ar's is range. If you do see a hog ,or deer at 300 yards and you don't know that yardage or have time to range it and don't have lots of pratice at longer ranges and mess your yardage just by 20 yards, you just missed that animal. Or made a really bad shot and it runs off. I have spent time with 45-70 shooting hot loads, 375gr at 2200fps and do darn well know the limits of whats practical when make'n a quick shot at game. That my problem with those cartidges. They have there place but they do have serious limits to there range and makeing longer shoots at unknown yardage. And you still have to make a quality shot. Not just bang away at them. That would make you just a lousy shooter not a hunter.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #12

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Subscribing...I wanna stick around for this one...

Old 01-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #13

Hardluk... yeah... I didn't ask the question, I answered it using my prior experience. In my experience of eradication hunting, I can probably get 2 or 3 hogs at once when I'm using the .458. I have no doubt the .308 and spc will do the job but this way I don't have to worry about shot placement. Plus I hunt em at night so longer ranges don't even come into play. Mabye 50m at most. Also a hp .458 expanded is around 3x the size of a hp .308, even not expanded its nearly as big as an expanded .308.

Never Forget.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #14

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMarine
Hardluk... yeah... I didn't ask the question, I answered it using my prior experience. In my experience of eradication hunting, I can probably get 2 or 3 hogs at once when I'm using the .458. I have no doubt the .308 and spc will do the job but this way I don't have to worry about shot placement. Plus I hunt em at night so longer ranges don't even come into play. Mabye 50m at most. Also a hp .458 expanded is around 3x the size of a hp .308, even not expanded its nearly as big as an expanded .308.

Never Forget.
Well, HELL!!

That wasn't worth sticking around for at all!!

Given the post to which you just replied, that's probably the classiest and most measured response I've seen.

Hats off, bro.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:28 PM   #15

Heck a hot 44mag Hc will go threw several pigs if thats the intent and if spending 700 to 3000 dollars on upgradeing an AR floats your boat, have fun. Most of us that hunt eat what we shoot or get it to the programs that get the food to those that need it not just wholesale eradiction at what ever cost. Guess that does make a difference. Gut shootin pigs is not very ethical but shooting them 3 at a time and gut shooting does seem to go together so enjoy. Guess your 458 is a good 50 yard nightime banger after all.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:38 AM   #16

I really don't want to argue ok? I'm just sharing a point

Last edited by 1stMarine; 01-07-2012 at 01:48 AM.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1
Heck a hot 44mag Hc will go threw several pigs if thats the intent and if spending 700 to 3000 dollars on upgradeing an AR floats your boat, have fun. Most of us that hunt eat what we shoot or get it to the programs that get the food to those that need it not just wholesale eradiction at what ever cost. Guess that does make a difference. Gut shootin pigs is not very ethical but shooting them 3 at a time and gut shooting does seem to go together so enjoy. Guess your 458 is a good 50 yard nightime banger after all.
Down south hunting hogs is past a sport. They're an invasive creature and there is millions in damage caused by them every year, people injured and killed. Plus what I was trying to say is that the .458 won't through and through a hog. It imparts all 2900 joules of energy in the hog (250g hp) and put it flat on its ass humanely (even in the gut as the hydrostatic shock travels through the body and turns the brain to mush) as opposed to the .308 that will head on straight through it, not causing nearly the same shock because the energy isn't all imparted on the hog, and the rest could hit an unintended target behind it, even a hunting point will still exit if you hit the broadside behind the shield. Finally I don't intend to eat the meat otherwise I would have a house full of hog carcasses. I generally give them to homeless shelters who don't care if there's a hole in it as long as they can use most of it.

Never Forget.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #18

OH, down south hunting!! Like My home state florida has no hogs. Thats were i grew up hunting. Like i said ,if your happy with your rifle ,good for you. Nothing new about your socom power level just spray'n more rounds than old BP based big bore cartidges like a 45/70. I never did like to let meat that get contaminated from a gut shot but glad you have place's that don't care. Most hunters need a round that humanly can take wild game and most any modern cartidge with the right bullet will do that. Not sure why you keep bring up the 308 but you must have had issues with it and your spray and pray style of hunting and that I can understand. Your happy with your rifle ,,great. Does the same thing a kid with a 20ga slug could do. Good that you have all the toys for night hunting . But go back to the opening tread. Will the 6.8 work for hogs well. YES. and works well also if daylight hunting for hogs or deer at longer range too. Your 458 or 500 or 45/70 slugs do have practical limits built into them. Short range quality shots. Just another choice of many. But the 6.8spc does make a very good hog or deer killer too in the hands of a decent hunter. Just not the best for wholsale eradicating at night.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #19

Where did you ever get the idea that I was a gut shooter? You greatly offend me when you say that. When I mentioned it I said that it was one of the few rounds that will humanely kill a hog if it hits it in the gut. I never said that that was my practice. I keep mentioning the .308 because it is a benchmark round that anyone who shoots, knows. For the type of hunting I do, the .458 is absolutely perfect, as is the .50 beowulf.

Never Forget.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #20

If your shooting them 2 and three deep as you side you will get some really pore shot placement, gut shots. Not all will be shoulder or head shots. Still up to the skill of the guy behind the gun plays in for the 308 along with bullet design. If i was doing what you are it would be a semi-auto 20ga slug gun. Most of buy a multi purpose rifle for day time hunting mainly that has the power for a well place shot with absolutley no problem in killing piggies at 300 yards or more. I would bet thats why this tread started. But who knows. If you do this as your hobby or job go for it. Just be truthfull about the limits of the caliber as a daytime round used by a hunter too.