Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Ar-15 power

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ar-15 power

Is the Remington 6.8 spc a good round to take down feral hogs, in Texas?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #2

Liked 207 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 15

SSA has a 100gr acubond bullet loaded to 2700 fps from 16" barrel they say. reguardless it should work very well for hogs.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:08 AM   #3

The 6.8mm SPC seems to be one of the premiere hog slaying rounds out there. For more info you can google 68Forums and read up about it...it's the best source for the 6.8mm SPC that I've found. So yes, it's a VERY good hunting round for feral hogs.

“No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave.” -Calvin Coolidge

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." -Gen. John "Black Jack" Pershing, U.S. Army

Old 01-05-2012, 02:11 AM   #4

i prefer 20mm Vulcan lol

Old 01-05-2012, 02:21 AM   #5

Thing with the spc is that you need to worry about shot placement. If you can get something in .458 socom, or .50 beowulf you can hit em just about anywhere and still knock em flat on their asses. They can be mucho expensive to convert though so you'd prob be better off getting something chambered for it (at least for the .458), with the beowulf however all you need is an upper. You can get em anywhere from $750 to $3000 depending on what you get.

Never Forget.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:39 PM   #6

Liked 207 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 15

1st marine Hit them anywhere!!! Really? Why waste money and meat with a porely placed shot. There is a difference between shooting and human killing. 300 yard and longer shots would be ,well interesting too with the big bores. Use the right bullet and the 6.8 is way more than needed.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I own both the 458 socom and the 6.8 spcII. I have killed over 200 hogs with the socom and it is the perfect short range pig blaster made, but the 6.8 is a close second and its better at longer ranges. I built my 6.8 about 4or 5 months ago so it hasnt killed as many hogs as my socom but I am working on that. The first day after I completed the 6.8 I took a 260lb and 240 lb boar with it and a few 60 to 80 lb pigs. Both of the boars were one shot DRT. I am using the SSA 85 gr tsx bullet and I recovered one bullet from the 260lb boar that traveld 17" through neck, bones and sheild and ended up on the off side behind the off shoulder. The bullet on the 240 lb. Passed right on through the neck. The 240lb hog was over 100 yards away. I also took a doe with it at 187 yards. It was a neck shot and she was DRT. I realy like my 6.8

Old 01-06-2012, 02:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1
1st marine Hit them anywhere!!! Really? Why waste money and meat with a porely placed shot. There is a difference between shooting and human killing. 300 yard and longer shots would be ,well interesting too with the big bores. Use the right bullet and the 6.8 is way more than needed.
If you've ever hunted pigs, you know they charge. I don't know about you but when I shoot ont I want it to stop. Plus I highly doubt that you'll even see the suckers out past mabye 30 yards. The brush is often taller than they are. Let's just say its nothing like deer hunting, its actually more combat like than hunting in my opinion. Close quarter and they're trying to kill you, I just don't want to be gored while I'm messing around with shot placement for a spc.

Never Forget.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:02 AM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

You can get a RRA 458 socom upper for under 700.00 but the ammo will cost you lots.
You can get loaded ammo from SBR and Corbon. I shoot the 405 gr jsp and the 300 gr ttsx, both will make big holes in hogs. Here is a pic of a 300 gr ttsx socom bullet and an 85 gr tsx from my 6.8. Both bullets were recoverd from boars weighing over 250 lbs.
Both were one shot DRT kills.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMarine View Post
Thing with the spc is that you need to worry about shot placement. If you can get something in .458 socom, or .50 beowulf you can hit em just about anywhere and still knock em flat on their asses.
Are you hunting for food or hunting to rid a nuisance animal? I ask because if you're hunting for food then you damn well better worry about shot placement so not to ruin any or all the meat. If you're hunting hogs only because they are a nuisance, then yes, get the biggest round you can and blast away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMarine View Post
...Plus I highly doubt that you'll even see the suckers out past mabye 30 yards.
It all depends on where you're hunting for hogs. Different terrain will determine not only how you hunt, but how long your shots are. You may not have seen any hogs out past 30 yards, but I know plenty of hunters that have taken them out to 100 yards.

“No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave.” -Calvin Coolidge

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." -Gen. John "Black Jack" Pershing, U.S. Army