Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR-15 Parts...Who Makes What ?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Default AR-15 Parts...Who Makes What ?????

This should be a short one. I, along with many others, would like to know where all of these AR-15 builders, get their parts supplied from. By having this knowledge AR-15 buyers will have a better idea of the quality of these weapons based on FACTUAL INFORMATION, and not simply hear say and opinion. So to try to keep this on track I'll provide the following questions in hope that someone can accurately answer them with actual information.

If you know, feel free to inform us. If you don't know, please refrain from posting opinion.

1.) Where does Bushmaster purchase their parts from?

2.) Where does Colt purchase their parts from?

3.) Where does Daniel Defense purchase their parts from?

4.) Where does Stag Arms purchase their parts from?

5.) What parts, if any, do these manufacturers, (Colt, D.D., Bushmaster, Stag,) manufacturer on site in their own plant?

6.) What, if any, is the difference in the quality level of these parts that are supplied to them?

I've only listed some of the more popular brands that have been discussed in past threads. With that said if anyone has any information on other AR-15 manufacturers as to where they get their parts from, or who they are manufactured by, please let us all know. Again we are only interested in fact. For example if you say, "Colt buys their bolts from CMT". Please provide how you obtained this information. Don't post hear say, only what you have direct knowledge of to be actual fact.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Interested in who has the answers to this

Old 02-21-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5475 Times on 2861 Posts
Likes Given: 355

The best answer your going to get is that either the company makes their parts in house or no answer. The only way to know for sure is to find someone who works for a vendor or the company itself and then have them violate their nda agreement.

In the case of colt, they do have all the machinery to make every part they need. Whether they do it themselves or outsource certain parts only colt and their possible suppliers knows and none of em are talking.

Colt is kinda like the old soviet union they never throw away machine tools. They will sometimes sell some surplus. Colt sold 1911 making machines to imbril of brazil which is a good reason amongst several why springfield armory 1911s are very well made

Some companies like RRA will tell you where they get some parts from. RRA gets some parts from magpul some barrels from wilson. Its on their page. A lot of things they make themselves.

A company that outsources has minimum standards they want. What those standards are... its hard to know.

I used to work for a very small machine shop in texas that made gunparts a few times. Mostly just small pins. Who the buyer was i dunno. The point is i had certain design standards and tolerences set by the customer i had to meet.

I think the best criteria to base choice of parts on is the overall reputation of a given company. Who's opinion do you value over others i dunno thats a personal thing.

My personal experience with dpms parts i broke a bolt catch shooting my 458 socom. The catch i got from dpms and it was mim. It didnt stop the gun from running even with pieces of the catch loose in the lower reciever in the trigger group area. Will i use dpms parts again?? not for critical functioning parts. Something like a A1 front sight post or a detent i see no problem with them. But other parts like a hammer or trigger i will opt for another brand until i have issues with that brand. Its the best i can do.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 02-21-2012 at 01:16 PM.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #4

NDAs are a big part of businesses that are in a competative market that use vendors. I'll have to keep my eye on this thread for answers, as I'm curious about this also.

“No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave.” -Calvin Coolidge

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." -Gen. John "Black Jack" Pershing, U.S. Army

Old 02-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A friend of mine got the opportunity to tour the Daniel Defense plant in Savannah, Georgia after participating in a group buy with his unit in the Army. All Daniel Defense parts are made in house, can't tell you where the metal comes from but the parts, right down to the roll pins, are manufactured there.

"If guns kill people then does that mean the spoon is the reason Rosie O'Donnell is fat"

"Guns don't kill people.......People kill people"

Old 02-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieKiller83 View Post
A friend of mine got the opportunity to tour the Daniel Defense plant in Savannah, Georgia after participating in a group buy with his unit in the Army. All Daniel Defense parts are made in house, can't tell you where the metal comes from but the parts, right down to the roll pins, are manufactured there.
DD's parts are made in house, even their fasteners, from certified steel that meets or exceeds the TDP. Fact, the interveiw has been posted in this forum.

One thing that needs to be clarified is that final QA/QC is what matters. As someone who has worked in the manufacturing of parts, where the parts come from doesn't mean a whole lot. Often a supplier will offer varying levels of quality in the production of the same part from customer to customer depending on what that customer expects. A customer always has the right to inspect parts as they are recieved and can reject parts accordingly. Like I said each customer has their own set of expectations. Just like the difference b/w some automobiles. They can come from the same manufacturer but the quality differs from model to model.

In short, people put way to much weight behind where the parts come from.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #7

Liked 214 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 15

It would be interesting to know what comes from one of ruger casting/forging companies or taurus international for the ar compaies to milled to there own use in there finished product or one of the smaller machine companies to build for others. Doubtfull if any make there own base forgeings. Barrel steel more than likely is from lothar-walther to different companies to use finished to there specs or to be completed. There are so many small machine shops finishing forged parts plus larger machine and tool companies like lewis and yankee and even mossberg make ar parts for others.. Just one in NC is moores machine that makes ar parts . Probably too many to list. In a search seems like there pages of small shops makeing AR parts.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #8

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

I know some of the HF palmetto barrels came from FN. Now I see not all their HF barrels are stamped FN but stamped palmetto, so Im not sure where those are coming from . I have 2 similar palmetto uppers both are stamped different one stamed palmetto and another not stamped . I have a pretty good feeling that some of tthe ARs from different manufacturers out there are using what they can currently get their hands on to get their orders filled as long as it meets their specs. They may have multiple vendors for the same product like barrels, lowers, trigger groups , bolts , etc . Since they are generic like they are with basically being able to put many different manufacturers parts on or in them Which is going to be a tough one to call on whos using what . With the exception of in house manufacturing like YHM , DD and a few others

Old 02-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #9

Liked 973 Times on 684 Posts
Likes Given: 974

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
The best answer your going to get is that either the company makes their parts in house or no answer. The only way to know for sure is to find someone who works for a vendor or the company itself and then have them violate their nda agreement.

In the case of colt, they do have all the machinery to make every part they need. Whether they do it themselves or outsource certain parts only colt and their possible suppliers knows and none of em are talking.

Colt is kinda like the old soviet union they never throw away machine tools. They will sometimes sell some surplus. Colt sold 1911 making machines to imbril of brazil which is a good reason amongst several why springfield armory 1911s are very well made

Some companies like RRA will tell you where they get some parts from. RRA gets some parts from magpul some barrels from wilson. Its on their page. A lot of things they make themselves.

A company that outsources has minimum standards they want. What those standards are... its hard to know.

I used to work for a very small machine shop in texas that made gunparts a few times. Mostly just small pins. Who the buyer was i dunno. The point is i had certain design standards and tolerences set by the customer i had to meet.

I think the best criteria to base choice of parts on is the overall reputation of a given company. Who's opinion do you value over others i dunno thats a personal thing.

My personal experience with dpms parts i broke a bolt catch shooting my 458 socom. The catch i got from dpms and it was mim. It didnt stop the gun from running even with pieces of the catch loose in the lower reciever in the trigger group area. Will i use dpms parts again?? not for critical functioning parts. Something like a A1 front sight post or a detent i see no problem with them. But other parts like a hammer or trigger i will opt for another brand until i have issues with that brand. Its the best i can do.
I think this is the best answer you can get, BillT. Plus the other replies to this point. I can't add much to what's been said so far except when Rob Sloyer tried to update his M4 Chart and asked manufacturers for specs, DPMS, Bushmaster, Olympia, ArmaLite and S&W refused to participate. BCM, Colt, Daniel Defense, LMT and others did. I wonder why it broke that way?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Says a lot. Hell DPMS wouldn't even answer little'ol me with anything other than the Two-Step. Dancing queens Maybe the D in DPMS stands for Dance. Dance until they stop asking why we suck lol

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."