Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR-15 Palm Shel Grip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR-15 Palm Shel Grip

Weird question... Does anyone know if the DPMS grip w/ palm shelf, or the ergo palm shelf grip is legal in california? Cheaper than dirt.com says they will not ship to me. Never had this issue before. Anyone have any experience at all? Putting a real damper on the build. Any alternatives if not?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #2

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Cheaper than Dirt is not CA friendly.

Another reason not to give them your business.

I have no idea why they wouldn't ship it.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
Cheaper than Dirt is not CA friendly.

Another reason not to give them your business.

I have no idea why they wouldn't ship it.
No they are not. I've been emailing a rep from there and they said I could buy it at my local store, but they cannot ship that specific product. So I googled the product and bought it right away from some where else. Just got a thermold mag in the mail today too. Didn't lock into place!!! Wtf!!! CTD!!!

Old 01-06-2012, 10:31 PM   #4

Liked 944 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 933

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtshooter View Post
... Just got a thermold mag in the mail today too. Didn't lock into place...
That's odd, I have around ten Thermold 20rd and 30rd mags ($4 and $7 repectively from the local Sportsmans Warehouse) and handled another 12 or so and never had one that wouldn't lock in.

Now I wouldn't trust them for serious business but as a range mag on the cheap you can't beat them. They don't look as durable as PMAGs but all worked well. Anyway, try it in another AR and if no go CTD should make it right.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin

That's odd, I have around ten Thermold 20rd and 30rd mags ($4 and $7 repectively from the local Sportsmans Warehouse) and handled another 12 or so and never had one that wouldn't lock in.

Now I wouldn't trust them for serious business but as a range mag on the cheap you can't beat them. They don't look as durable as PMAGs but all worked well. Anyway, try it in another AR and if no go CTD should make it right.
I just installed a magpul trigger guard, but I'm not sure if that's why it won't lock. Its a stripped lower, but the mag release is in, so I'm assuming that's the only piece holding it in place. I thought it was odd too. I gave it a very generous amount of force trying to get it to lock. My gf's brother has an AR, I'm going to see if it'll fit in his.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:52 AM   #6

Now the rest of the story...

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Now the rest of the story...
Sold It to him, I built the rest of the lower tonight, the lip of the mag wouldn't allow it to pass the guard. Anyway, turned out great for being my first lower assembly!

Old 01-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #8

I don't see how the Magpul trigger guard, if installed right, would interfere with a magazine. Got a picture of it in your lower? To be honest I've never installed one as I like the old GI style guard so use it as my "signature" on a build. But the Magpul in pictures I've seen doesn't extend forward far enough to interfere with a mag. I'm thinking it might be on backwards.

Glad the Thermold worked on the other AR and I guess you'd better try other mags to make sure something's not wrong with yours. A mag should lock in real easy on a stripped lower that has the mag release installed properly.

______

Last edited by Quentin; 01-07-2012 at 02:40 PM.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #9

Quote:
I don't see how the Magpul trigger guard, if installed right, would interfere with a magazine. Got a picture of it in your lower? To be honest I've never installed one as I like the old GI style guard so use it as my "signature" on a build. But the Magpul in pictures I've seen doesn't extend forward far enough to interfere with a mag. I'm thinking it might be on backwards.

Glad the Thermold worked on the other AR and I guess you'd better try other mags to make sure something's not wrong with yours. A mag should lock in real easy on a stripped lower that has the mag release installed properly.
It's not the guard that I have a problem with. Not too many ways you can put that in unless you drill a hole through the other side of the front. The magazine I had bought has a lip that extends further out at the back. A standard guard goes straight across, but this one comes down to make room for larger fingers or gloves. It wouldn't clear the guard only by a cm, but enough not to lock in place.
image-4079232271.jpg  

Old 01-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #10

Here's a pic of the mag. Kinda hard to see the back lip.

image-3987323774.jpg