AR-15 Optics
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR-15 Optics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR-15 Optics

I have a quick question on AR-15 optics. I have a nice new flat top AR with folding front and rear sights. I would like to put a good red dot/holographic sight on it, but I dont want to spend too much money. I have narrowed it down to these: Aimpoint ML2 for $395 and EoTech 512 for $410. Any suggestions? Also, it seems that there are a lot of cheaper red dots, but I dont know if these are reliable/good quality enought to put on a home-defense gun. If anybody has a different red dot suggestion that is cheaper, that would also be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Both are very good.

My suggestion is go to a good gun shop where you can take them out of the box and look through them. Maybe even throw one on a rifle to get the feel for it. If they dont let you, Its not a good shop.

I like the Aimpoints for their crisp, clear dot. But the EoTech is one in its own. EoTech is tough as nails. You can beat em all day and they will hold true. Ive knocked zero off an Aimpoint before by bumping it.

Just my .02

I carry a 1 inch guardrail nut on a loop of 550 cord. Its not whiz-bang tactical, but one shot to the grape, and its coloring books for Christmas.

Advocate For Armed America Because Your Attorney Can Get You Out Of Jail, Not Out Of A Grave.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

No offense, but an AR usually isn't the best choice for a home defense firearm for most people from a ballistic inefficiency/overpenetration perspective. If you're in the middle of nowhere and your nearest neighbor can't be hit from a round from your AR and you're looking at keeping a 200+ yard perimeter clear then it's fine. If you're looking to engage someone inside your home or within a few tens of yards outside, a shotgun may give better performance and pose far less risk to neighbors.

Bushnell made (and I think still makes) EOTech sights and they cost a lot cheaper in general. You might want to dig around a little and find the Bushnell equivalent and save some cash.

I have a Bushnell. It's rock solid and hasn't lost its zero since I dialed it in a couple years and several thousand rounds back.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:20 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If your looking for an Aimpoint you might want to check with SWFA they have an offer for a M2 with a Aimpoint mount, flip up covers and a flip up ARD for $477.00. If I'm not mistaken price you quoted for the ML2 your talking about does not include a quality mount and they can be very expensive.

I've owned both sights you mention and although you can't go wrong with either I perfer the Aimpoint.

Last edited by NY Marksman; 04-12-2010 at 11:22 PM.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:31 PM   #5

Your right t doesnt include the mount. Im probably going with the EoTech. Thanks for the help. Also, I live in a pretty rural area, or I wouldnt use a rifle inside my house for fear of going through an outer wall.

" It's better to be tried by twelve than carried by six. " - Nick Stone

Old 04-14-2010, 04:51 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If your looking for something quite a bit less money than the biggies you might give a Vortex Strike Fire red dot system. Rather nice looking with both red and green dots. Comes with a 2x multiplier and a mount for a flat top that possibly would let you use your iron sights too. Bought one the other day and haven't really got it zeroed in yet, but it has worked real good so far for me on my SKS rifle. Works nice, both eyes wide open and when you get the dot on the target just squeeze... don't loose sight of the target that way... paid $125.00 for it...