AR 15 Which One? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR 15 Which One?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5531 Times on 3132 Posts
Likes Given: 4818

HEY MODS!

I've seen this chart several times in posts.

How about posting it and making it sticky??

Thanx!

Winston Churchill
People Like This 
Old 12-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #22

Liked 979 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 979

I just love the Chart!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

CallMaker Likes This 
Old 12-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8685 Times on 3759 Posts
Likes Given: 1334

Pitt- thanx for the chart, however, as the man said, not enuff pixels. You can send to me attached to a Private Message, and will see if we can get enlarged version posted up.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

People Like This 
Old 12-15-2012, 05:45 AM   #24

I'll drop in some old images of the M4 Comparison Chart:

Of course the more blue Xs, the better fighting M4

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #25

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Pitt- thanx for the chart, however, as the man said, not enuff pixels. You can send to me attached to a Private Message, and will see if we can get enlarged version posted up.
Roger that sir

Old 12-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #26

The great thing about the M4 Compatibility Chart (image in post 24) is that its creator Rob Sloyer took an incredible amount of time gathering data from the M4 TDP (Technical Data Package), boiling it down to 21 specs he believed mattered the most then gathered corresponding specs for 15 popular M4geries. He then made an easy to read spreadsheet ranking them according to adherence to the TDP.

The bottom specs for rear sight/carry handle and warranty don't directly impact the quality of the rifle, more the value. And the rating for double shielded handguards doesn't matter much unless you keep the originals.

It is important to read and ultimately understand the explanations of TDP specs in the second image in post 24. This tends to get separated from the chart but shouldn't.

Another thing to remember, this chart ranks M4geries not varmint, target or specialty versions (where TDP specs may or may not be advantageous). Technically it doesn't even rank midlength gas, only carbine length gas normally on a 16" barrel. However it's reasonable to expect a slightly different barrel profile that otherwise has the same specs will be of similar quality.

The unfortunate thing about the chart is that it no longer is maintained (no doubt too much work) so you don't see ARs that have become popular over the last few years. However if you understand how the chart works then get the specs of PSA, Spikes, Windham and others it's obvious where they would fit in. PSA would drop in right around Noveske while Windham would drop in around Bushmaster since it's built like the old BM. Spikes, I don't know for sure but should do well.

______

Last edited by Quentin; 12-15-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Purchase Made

Well i must say I really appreciate all of your inputs. Very informative.
I have decided to purchase the Bushmaster C 15 Combo, you can see it here:
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=13369242&sr=1&origkw=bushmast er

Here is my reasoning why I decided to go this route:
I plan on not putting more than 1,000 rounds through it in my lifetime.
I like the complete upper in .22
I like the weight difference due to my wife being very small and is intimidated with heavy weapons.
The Cost
Having three calibers in one.

I am willing to rate and revue it if anyone is interested.

Thanks again all.

Karl in Colorado

Last edited by kilo2018; 12-17-2012 at 05:24 PM. Reason: edit

Old 12-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #28

Good luck. I hope it works out for you. A friend has a C15 and it has generally worked for him but honestly he's sorry he bought it. He wishes he'd invested a little more for better quality.

Things are changing fast now with talk of a new AWB so you may have to grab anything quick. But if you can still find them, that same $1000 for the C15 package could get you much better. PSA has had $700 complete ARs and the S&W M&P15-22 (dedicated .22lr AR) went for under $400. That's around $1100 for two rifles and much higher quality.

______

Last edited by Quentin; 12-17-2012 at 05:27 PM.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:38 PM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Made My Purchase

Well I have decided. Below is my purchase:

http://www6.davidsonsinc.com/consumers/subsites/inven_product.asp?dealer_id=777835&item=811037&ins tock=all&manufact_combo=Smith+%26+Wesson&mod_ser_c ombo=M%26P&category_combo=None&model=M%26P&g_type= Rifle&act_type=&finish_type=None&calib_combo=223&s ight_class_combo=None&price_range=None&left_handed =&youth=&Offset_rec=0&num_rec=50&item_num=

Yes I wanted a Colt simply because it is the original by Eugene Stoner however I just could not justify nor afford the cost.

I like this S $ W because of the name, simplicity and of corse value. I know that it is missing the forward assist and the dust cover however with my experience even at war I never needed it. If I had the money I would get the Colt A-1. The one that I carried for many years. So here in a controlled enviroment I know I will never need those two options.

All or your responses are greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Karl in Colorado

Old 03-25-2014, 12:14 AM   #30

Liked 73 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Kilo2018, I wish you luck with your purchase. My best Buddy got a Bushy C15. He loved it, but I did bring to his attention many shortfalls of it.

That S&W will give you many years of pleasure.

Last edited by Triumphman; 03-25-2014 at 12:17 AM.