You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

AR-15 NOOB here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default AR-15 NOOB here

AS you can tell I am an AR NOOB and wanted to know what is better "clean" ammo the 223 rem or 5.56 NATO? Also what are the differences I should look out for? My local dealer is horrible to talk to and folks at the range don't want to offer advice! Thanks and apologies for the naive questions. Your help is much appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #2

Liked 362 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 167

The primary difference between .223 Remington and 5.56 x 45 mm is that .223 is loaded to lower pressures and velocities compared to 5.56 mm. .223 Remington ammunition can be safely fired in a 5.56 mm chambered gun, but the reverse can be an unsafe combination. The additional pressure created by 5.56 mm ammo will frequently cause over-pressure problems such as difficult extraction, flowing brass, or popped primers, but in extreme cases, could damage or destroy the rifle. Chambers cut to .223 Remington specifications have a shorter (throat) area as well as slightly shorter headspace dimensions compared to 5.56 mm "military" chamber specs, which contributes to the pressure issues. If you are looking for an AR there are a huge number of options. What is your price range?

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1742 Times on 1141 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

I wouldn't worry about clean ammo, go for price and see how it works in your rifle. Steel case, cheap PMC .223, etc. If your bore is 5.56 of course try that too. Small amounts of various ammo at first, you want to find out what works best and settle in on what you like.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 02-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Price range topped at 1000 but that would like getting some optic (nothing fancy) and grip and some mags for that price. I hear Walmart has good deal on bushman m4a3 models.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:08 PM   #5

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Palmetto_State_Armory_AR15_ORC_16_Chrome_Lined_5_p/gun-psam4-cl.htm this is what I picked up a few weeks ago for a little over 700 and it's a great shooter. If you are at 1K for a budget there are better ARs to be had then a Bush IMO.

Member:

Old 02-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113
http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Palmetto_State_Armory_AR15_ORC_16_Chrome_Lined_5_p/gun-psam4-cl.htm this is what I picked up a few weeks ago for a little over 700 and it's a great shooter. If you are at 1K for a budget there are better ARs to be had then a Bush IMO.
Wow...will give it a look see. I guess I am a noob when it comes to this. Wish my locals were nicer. I came to the right place. Any help or things I should consider are greatly appreciated.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15noob View Post
Wow...will give it a look see. I guess I am a noob when it comes to this. Wish my locals were nicer. I came to the right place. Any help or things I should consider are greatly appreciated.
I am a NOOB so to speak as well. I just learned a lot on this forum.

Member:

Old 02-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1742 Times on 1141 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

Well shop around for a good FFL. The PSA should be much better than the over priced BM at the LGS. You might want to think about options/upgrades before ordering anything. Research now is much better than after the gun is in hand.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 02-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #9

Yeah what quentin said you have more of a budget then I did which is why I went with the PSA. My transfer fee was only 10 bucks.

Member:

Old 02-24-2012, 09:48 PM   #10

Liked 1181 Times on 766 Posts
Likes Given: 2063

Transfer Fees seem to drop in any where between $10-$50 depending on the dealer . PSA is good equipment, I own 2 and both run flawless. use that extra $$$ to buy nice optics