AR-15 in New York - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

AR-15 in New York

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2009, 10:48 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Marksman View Post
Sooooooooo how did you like it.
Well, I only fired one round, so I don't think that qualifies me to give a critique on it or anything. It felt good and I hit the target. It is a cool rifle in person. There's not much elce I can say about it.

OC

Old 11-22-2010, 10:57 PM   #12

<<<<What I have found out is to own an AR15 in NY,

There is a difference in the regulations for Pre-Ban and Post-Ban rifles. A pre-ban rifle is one that was manufactured prior to the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban. A post-ban is one manufactured after the 94' AWB. The major differences are,

3. Flash hider - Post-ban rifles must have the flash hider permanently pinned to the barrel.>>>>>>

Hi - I am new to the forum so forgive me if you already addressed this elsewhere. I also live in NYS and under the same restrictions as you. To the best of my knowledge flash suppressors/hiders are not allowed, permanently attached or not. Can you share with me your source that they are ok if permanently attached? I am considering a Next Generation ar-15 and that is the only way they come. Thanks so much. - Fred

Old 11-23-2010, 12:17 AM   #13
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4176 Times on 2019 Posts
Likes Given: 2091

CAUTION

Check your local laws also. In NY some of them are even more restrictive than the NY state laws.

The LAH's still follow the Brady Bill (1994-2004) crap that was to be done away with. Hope they get challenged someday like they were in Chicago recently.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
CAUTION

Check your local laws also. In NY some of them are even more restrictive than the NY state laws.

The LAH's still follow the Brady Bill (1994-2004) crap that was to be done away with. Hope they get challenged someday like they were in Chicago recently.
Thanks but fortunately I don't live in NYC so I don't have to worry about their craziness, just the state's. I am pretty sure that no suppressor is legal, but wanted to explore all the possibilities. - Fred

Old 11-24-2010, 01:13 PM   #15

Liked 3740 Times on 1828 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYconservative View Post
Can you share with me your source that they are ok if permanently attached? I am considering a Next Generation ar-15 and that is the only way they come. Thanks so much. - Fred
Most AR manufacturer's sell NY compliant rifles. In the case of my STAG it came with a muzzle break permanently pinned to the barrel.

Stag Arms - Worldwide Leader In AR Manufacturing

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Last edited by dog2000tj; 11-24-2010 at 11:20 PM. Reason: edited for clarification

Old 11-24-2010, 08:51 PM   #16
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

NY,

Suppressors are not illegal in most states as long as you have the Federal Tax Stamp and registration required. And you have them on a 16" barreled rifle or longer. If you were to have an SBR (Short Barreled Rifle) under 16" then more paperwork and another tax stamp. Which would mean 2 tax stamps. One for the SBR and one for the Suppressor. God only knows concerning some states like NY. CA. and the worst state of all for gun control NJ. Especially when it comes to ARs. Even a city jurisdiction sometimes have their own individual laws! Absolutely crazy!

Old 11-24-2010, 08:54 PM   #17

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
NY,

Suppressors are not illegal in most states as long as you have the Federal Tax Stamp and registration required. And you have them on a 16" barreled rifle or longer. If you were to have an SBR (Short Barreled Rifle) under 16" then more paperwork and another tax stamp. Which would mean 2 tax stamps. One for the SBR and one for the Suppressor. God only knows concerning some states like NY. CA. and the worst state of all for gun control NJ. Especially when it comes to ARs. Even a city jurisdiction sometimes have their own individual laws! Absolutely crazy!
Suppressors may or may not be illegal in NJ, probably are but I never checked. Moot point however, since threaded barrels are illegal...
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-24-2010, 09:04 PM   #18
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

JPYLE,

Nothing surprises me in NJ. A manufacturer of ARs must have a NJ state firearms dealer to sponsor them if they go there for a weapon show and bring any weapons. Even an LE Trade Show. That is why in the position I was in the company I worked for boycotted there shows due to their stupid laws.
Kind of like Barrett in California and the 50 BMG Rifles!!!

Old 11-24-2010, 09:10 PM   #19

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Gun shows in NJ are pointless. All you can do is look at the guns since the State Police prohibit any sales from taking place.
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Newest Threads