AR-15 in New York
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR-15 in New York

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2009, 01:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR-15 in New York

I'm new to the AR-15 field. I can't find any used AR's on the market and will have to order one. Can anybody tell me which ones are legal in the state of New york for civilians to buy. I see the Colt LE6920 on some of the different websites I've read. Would this be legal for me to purchase if I would be lucky enough to find one? what if any of the colts would be legal? thanks for any help

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-24-2009, 03:00 AM   #2

Liked 3737 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Hello Mustang, welcome to the forum.

I just went through the same this past fall. I spent almost 4 months looking and researching before I even settled on what to go after. Then it took almost 2 more months to find what I wanted at reasonable enough prices. Check out the classifieds/vendors on here as well as,

AR15.Com
GunBroker.com Online Gun Auction

What I have found out is to own an AR15 in NY,

There is a difference in the regulations for Pre-Ban and Post-Ban rifles. A pre-ban rifle is one that was manufactured prior to the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban. A post-ban is one manufactured after the 94' AWB. The major differences are,

1. Bayonet mounts - pre-ban rifles can have bayonet mounts. Post-ban rifles cannot.
2. Collapsible/adjustable stocks - pre-ban rifles can have them. Post-ban rifles can have them provided the stock is permanently pinned in a fixed position.
3. Flash hider - Post-ban rifles must have the flash hider permanently pinned to the barrel.
4. Magazines - currently in NY you may not purchase magazines with greater than 10 round capacity. You may have magazines of greater capacity provided they were manufactured prior to the 94' AWB. These would need to be stamped by the manufacturer.

You may also want to check the following links for official information,

ATF Online - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
Firearm Laws for New York
gunlaws.com / Bloomfield Press
Official National Rifle Association of America Home Page
Gun Owners of America

As for the Colt LE6920 it would not be legal in it's advertised configuration. The stock would need to be pinned and you cannot have the (2) 20 round mags. I can't tell but if it wasn't than the flash hider would also need to be pinned.

And don't forget to post up on your progress. You may also want to join up as a supporting member - the forum comes with loads of information and support.

Good luck.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 04-24-2009, 03:35 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

If you are going to buy a NEW AR-15, the dealer or manufacturer will sell you the one that's legal in NY - it's called being "AWB Compliant", and manufacturers selling to NY state residents must comply with NY's fuc%ed-up regulations, like no bayonet lug and no flash suppressor. I ordered a new AR from Rock River Arms last year and it came with only 10 rd. mags, no bayonet lug, and no flash suppressor. On the other hand, I ordered two DPMS LR-308's and they both shipped with two 20 rd. mags (illegal in NY unless manufactured prior to 1994).

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 04-24-2009, 09:05 PM   #4

thanks for the replies. This will limit my search. Hopefully I can find something in the next few months

Old 04-26-2009, 03:18 AM   #5
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

A couple things... First, New York lets you have two "evil" features on a semi-auto rifle or shotgun made after 1994, and the features list is this: collapsible or folding stock, pistol grip, detachable magazine, threaded barrel, flash hider, bayonet lug, and a grenade launcher. The two features most folks have on their ARs here in New York are the pistol grip and detachable mag. Bayonet lugs must be ground down, and a muzzle break must be pinned and silver-soldered or your barrel must have nothing attached on the end and it must not be threaded.

If you get a pre-ban lower (made before September, 1994) you may have any or all of the features above.

Note: magazines are treated separately from firearms in New York, and there is a ban on all mags that hold more than 10 rounds unless they are pre-ban mags.

Second, what's legal in some parts of the state is not legal in others. You may not own an AR-15 of any form inside the city of Rochester, for example. There may be similar rules for other cities.

Last edited by bkt; 04-26-2009 at 03:21 AM.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:17 PM   #6

Hi. I too am new to this forum. I am trying to buy an AR on Long Island. The prices are high (nothing worth while less than ($900.00). It seems that it is still cheaper than buying it out-of-state & paying the FFL charges. Even so, it is hard to find a NYS compliant AR online.
Let me know if you have had any luck.
I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Corey823

Old 08-29-2009, 01:47 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Have you considered a Remington R-15. it is NY compliant.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:20 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Look at the RRA catalog - everything they sell can be had either pre-ban or AWB compliant.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-29-2009, 01:27 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Marksman View Post
Have you considered a Remington R-15. it is NY compliant.
I fired one round out of one of those yesterday at the range. I was there testing new houge grips when a guy showed up with one.

OC

"magbum"

Old 08-29-2009, 09:28 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC357 View Post
I fired one round out of one of those yesterday at the range. I was there testing new houge grips when a guy showed up with one.

OC

Sooooooooo how did you like it.