AR-15 Muzzle Break ?'s
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR-15 Muzzle Break ?'s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Default AR-15 Muzzle Break ?'s

Hey guys, I have a question to ask and i am new to the forum world. I recently bought a STAG-15 when i got out of the Marine Corps and came back to New Jersey. I knew that NJ had there own set of gun laws when it came to the AR15 and making it legal. I went to a "gun smith" and had him pin my collapsable butt stock, take off the Bayonet lug, and replace the compensator with a muzzle break. I was very anxious to get my new rifle back so i could put some rounds down range again. When i picked up my AR the store was very cramped and filled with people so there was not very much room to look over the rifle since the shop is very small. When i got home i was very disappointed to find the quality of work that was put into my AR. Not only was the barrel all jacked up from what looked like a grinder hitting it in a few spots but the weld job was ****ty and he actually welded the bottom half of the muzzle break to the barrel. I went back and talked the the guy and told him i was very disappointed with the work he had done and that there was no need for all of the weld. he said that he would fix it but i do not think that he will be able to do so. So I'm trying to find out where i can find the requirements to show this butcher that the muzzle break doesnt need to be welded to the barrel and in fact the hole where the pin goes is the only thing that needs to be welded in hope that he might give me a new barrel.

Thanks S/F

muzzle-break2.jpg   muzzle-break.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-23-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Welcome to FTF. Whether your state requires the weld or not that is some bs work and he owes you a new barrel. What did he charge?

I don't need No stinking signature.

GillyTheKid Likes This 
Old 08-23-2012, 11:23 PM   #3

he charged me $140 to pin the buttstock, remove the bayonet lug, and the compensator.. there are some more marks on the barrel as well from the grinder.. i figured id let him attempt to fix it, im supposed to pick it up monday and if i dont like it ill be asking for a new barrel. there are already rust spots on it

Old 08-23-2012, 11:27 PM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Atleast his price wasn't too bad. He may be able to clean it up a bit and spot black the area. I hope its on straight and he didn't really damage the barrel.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:31 PM   #5

you and me both

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet

Old 08-23-2012, 11:41 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5627 Times on 2941 Posts
Likes Given: 371

in my opinion that barrel is ruined. that much heat ruins the temper of steel. he definately owes you a new barrel.

i would NOT let him work on any gun of mine ever.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-23-2012, 11:44 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

First things first, thank you for your service and welcome to the FTF!!!

The requirement is that it be permanently affixed, usually that means pinned and welded. I'm a bit surprised at the shoddy job though. Most of the time you can't even see the weld, mine came permanently attached from the manufacturer (PWS), but still... That work looks like it was done by an amateur.

I would wait and see how he plans on remedying the situation, but barring a completely perfect result, I would request that he replace the barrel and muzzle break and that you consider a real gunsmith. PM me, I'm in NJ as well and can help point you in the right direction.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56
People Like This 
Old 08-23-2012, 11:55 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

I would also get Stag involved and have them give you an opinion on the condition of the barrel, cuz he MAY have ruined it and made it hazardous to fire.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 08-24-2012, 12:02 AM   #9

thank you drvsafe.. good advice. i will contact stag tomorrow.

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet

Old 08-24-2012, 04:39 AM   #10

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Stag has a pretty generous warranty.

I concur with Drvsafe. Call up Stag.

Stay away from that hack job. That has got to be the ugliest pin/weld job, ever.