AR-15 Mods
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR-15 Mods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 05:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Default AR-15 Mods

I'm looking to modify my DPMS and turn it into a tactical rifle. I wanted to know if anyone knew of any companies that have a large and good selection of products, such as quad rails, vertical grips, red dots, etc. Any help would be much appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-19-2012, 05:12 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Do you know what will work for you? There's so much out there it can get expensive buying stuff that doesn't work for you.

How familiar are you with this AR?

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-19-2012, 11:12 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Ill tell you right from the start you get what you pay for. If you wanna budget the parts on your AR then your gonna have half-ass parts. Take your time and spend the extra cash. Itll be worth it in the end if you ever need to put your life on the line. I have a M&P15 with Magpul flip up sights, Eotech 512, Eotech G23, and a flashlight mounted. Its nothing too extreme but it works reliably every time and its not too heavy. I prefer the Eotech with magnifier over an Acog due to the ability to flip the magnifier out of the way when i dont need it. If you would like shoot me a pm and ill help you figure out what will work for you.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #4

I'm somewhat familiar with it, have done quite a bit of research on fixing it up. I've just come across so many sites and products I'm not sure where to start. As its been stated I have seen a lot of products but I'm just not sure what would be worth buying. I just want to keep it simple, nothing really fancy. I have been watching Magpuls Art of the Tactical Carbine and they made some suggestions, I just need some ideas for a good company that you guys use and trust.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Well what do you want? There are plenty of good companys. Magpul is a good one.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #6

Pretty much what I mentioned above, quad rail, vertical grip, and I'm contemplating getting a red dot. Not sure on that because I have a carry handle so I don't if it would be best to get one or just use the iron sights

Old 03-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt232
Pretty much what I mentioned above, quad rail, vertical grip, and I'm contemplating getting a red dot. Not sure on that because I have a carry handle so I don't if it would be best to get one or just use the iron sights
Do you have a detachable carry handle? Ive been looking at the Magpul vertical grip for mine. Check out Bravo Company for your AR parts. Other then them i also use Brownells, Midway USA, and Optics Planet.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Why do you want that stuff? Will it improve your ability to use your AR? What are you wanting these accessories to do?

How do you hold your rifle, wag well, thumb over? Are you looking to get on target faster? How long are your arms? Is weight a factor? Do you really need all the rail a quad rail offers or will a tube type rail work?

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #9

Liked 1067 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

You really should read this before throwing money toward things that don't improve reliability. Not saying you must do all of it but you should read and understand especially if you envision your rifle as more than a range toy.

http://www.tacticalyellowvisor.net/8343/16001.html

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:59 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
You really should read this before throwing money toward things that don't improve reliability. Not saying you must do all of it but you should read and understand especially if you envision your rifle as more than a range toy.

http://www.tacticalyellowvisor.net/8343/16001.html
Good one Q. That site is among the few I have saved as a favorite.

-John Ruskin

Quote: